Pregnancy after c section...

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello ladies,

I don't know if this is ok to post, it's not really diabetes related, but you ladies seem to be the fountain of all knowledge!!

It's 12 weeks since I had my beautiful Arlo, and 6 weeks since he slipped away in our arms. We are completely heartbroken, but I feel so desperate for a baby too.

I'm getting back on track with my blood readings now, they were a bit all over the place, but I'm trying to get it back to where it was so that when we can try again it's already there. I also want to get fitter, after being in bed rest for 7 weeks, then 6 weeks at my sons bedside I'm extremely unfit.

My question is to those of you have had c sections, how long were you told to wait after it to try again? I've been given answers, all from medical professionals ranging from 6 weeks to a year!!
I will be not going for natural labour, it will be a planned c section (that's standard for type one diabetics where I live, also I've now had 2 sections) does this decrease the risk of uterine rupture? As from what I've read that seems to be during labour? It will be a pregnancy where I will be extremely closely monitored! Any help gratefully received!

Thanks x

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sarahkylie88 I read your thread yesterday about your very sad loss of Arlo, and I send you every good wish and my deepest sympathy. And a hug.

I'm afraid I have no experience at all to offer, as I have not ever planned a family, but I saw this post just now and wanted to respond.

Love Snapsy
:)

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks so much @Snapsy. It's genuinely the hardest most heartbreaking time of our lives! And waiting to even ttc again is just torture! J don't want to replace Arlo, he'll always be in our hearts, we just want a baby more than anything

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sarahkylie88 Its totally understandably why you feel the way you feel... Sending you all my love. I can't imagine how difficult it must be.... {{hug}} xxx

I haven't had a c section either, but I did read up about them (out of worry I'd need one). I think 12 months wait is a common time, from my reading. It's not only to,let the scar heal, but so you can build your body's reserves. There's a minimum time they recommend for ladies who've had vaginal,deliveries too for that reason.

But some sites did say a minimum of 6 months so that's sooner.

Have you had a chance to ask your OB? I think getting individual advice would be best as it would be suited to,you and your individual situation. I'm sure lots of the recommendations are very general so personal advice may be more lenient.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @azure. We r seeing the ob in Liverpool in January sometime so I will ask then. That's when we get arlos pm results too. Although we had a cause of death he had a rare condition. The majority of drs do t think it's genetic and that he was a "one off" and technically should have been a miscarriage albeit a late one, he was just extremely strong and fought everything that was thrown at him! It's just so frustrating and hard especially when we are so ready, we did everything right, my hba1c was perfect! and I don't know how long it will take us to conceive, we conceived quickly both times, but I worry with all the extra stress what may happen. X x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks so much @Snapsy. It's genuinely the hardest most heartbreaking time of our lives! And waiting to even ttc again is just torture! J don't want to replace Arlo, he'll always be in our hearts, we just want a baby more than anything

Aaww, bless you, sending a (((((((((((((((((((( BIG HUG ))))))))))))))))))) X

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi sorry to read your heartbreaking story I really am ,you are such a strong woman ! Don't feel guilty about wanting to add to your family , your son will always be in your heart after all so I see where your coming from
My sister who is also diabetic had a c section and now has two kids ,both sections she was also given confusing advice re time , she made s personal choice to wait 6 months and there was no problems she went to a chiropractor and a physio to speed recovery up as such ... So maybe that helped :) I wish you all the luck for the future xxx

Reactions: azure

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I'm really sorry for your loss. I had an emcs with my first and was told 12 months minimum. However, I was also told the longer you wait the better. I waited 2 years and then miscarried. I then got pregnant again 2 years later and had a vbac. The answer is it depends on the type of scar and your own body. I have a friend who has had 2 csecs and has been told not to have anymore children as the risk of uterine rupture is too high given her set of circumstances. I have a friend who had 4 csecs. Both that friend and another with 3 were told after the 3rd that this was their last but the friend who had 4 got another view later on and on that basis was prepared to go ahead.

Take things easy and look after yourself.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
@Sarahkylie88 So sorry to read about Arlo - I am sending big hugs and all my love. I can't even begin to understand how difficult and sad this must be.
As to waiting after c section - I have had one in August (emergency section it was though) and have been told to wait a year to ttc again. xxx