My Journey So Far

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I just thought I would put an update out there!

Last HbA1c showed I had gone back to pre diabetic levels - delighted was an understatement, I was beginning to feel it would not happen for me!
To get this amazing reading meant I had ignored my doctor and my diabetic nurse and I had dropped my carbs intake to as low as I could manage - even doing this did not give me immediate results and it took months to finally begin to get my readings to drop, but thankfully they did.
My weight continued very slowly to drop and although I still have a large amount of weight to lose I seem to have stopped losing weight - This is where I want to be as honest as possible - the carbs have ever so slowly begun to creep back into the diet - too many times where my food options were so limited that I gave in and ate a little carb. This triggered the desire for more carbs and trying to resist was so hard and remains so hard............
I believe it is the carbs that has halted the weight loss but have decided we are now so close to Christmas that my goal right now is to maintain the weight I am at and look again in the New Year and give myself a small break for the constant struggle.

I am not saying I will eat everything in sight just that for a few weeks I am going to stay sensible but not feel bad if I do eat something I really should avoid.

I have never truly lost the desire to eat carbs even after months of avoiding most of them and I think that might just be the thing that I will always have to fight.

In 2015 I was diagnosed and now at the end of 2016 I take 1000mg of Metformin twice a day and one Sitagliptin tablet once a day.
Until I started to follow the low carb programme I had my medication increased with little success - then I started the low carb option and it did take months before improvements showed but it has continued and although I wish I could get the readings lower than pre diabetic I am happy to have got this far and I am hoping in 2017 that the very least I can do is maintain this.

I know there are many success stories on this site but few seem to run along the lines that mine has so I wanted to share what I hope will be of use to someone out there who might be experiencing the same.

Thanks for reading and wishing you all a happy and healthy year ahead.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, keep it up and the results you are after will come. :)