Am I putting myself at risk

joelcam

Hi all,

Just a few opinions needed.

I've been T1 since Aug last year. Readings on my meter are usually between 4-5mmol before eating and usually below 7mmol 2 hrs after eating, which I understand is pretty good.

My concern is that I don't count carbs and generally just wing it. The first 3 months I logged and tracked everything but then I had a good HBa1C and relaxed a bit. Now I literally 'look' at my meal and guess to the best of my ability on how much novorapid to take. For breakfast and lunch my carb intake is always the same so I have those nailed but for evening meals...I literally just look and think "Mmm, I reckon I should 8 units with this". To be fair, I normally get back below 7 in 2 hrs so my guess work is okay, but there are occassions when I get it a bit wrong. When I get it wrong it is almost always taking too much insulin and then I have a slight hypo after 90 mins or so which I correct and then I'm fine again. I hardly ever under guess and end up high (in fact cannot remember my last reading that was over 8 mmol).

Questions
1) Is this a but daft or should I just carry on if it's working for me?
2) Kind of unrelated but if I want to have 7 meals a day can I just have 7 injections of novorapid or should I just stick to the 3 square meals?
3) Probably a massive NO but has anyone been able to get any high protein supplements / milkshakes etc on prescription? (I do a lot of weight training and if I could get some protein for free this would be awesome!).

Thanks guys

J

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Questions
1) Is this a but daft or should I just carry on if it's working for me?

Well kind of, but i'm not happy about the repetitive hypo's as this could lead to hypo unawareness, could you go on an official carb counting course?

2) Kind of unrelated but if I want to have 7 meals a day can I just have 7 injections of novorapid or should I just stick to the 3 square meals?

The joy of type 1 control is you can eat as much or as little as you like, if 7 meals floats your boat then go for it, you control this not the other way around 8) again though, carb counting course will be ideal for this kind of control!

3) Probably a massive NO but has anyone been able to get any high protein supplements / milkshakes etc on prescription? (I do a lot of weight training and if I could get some protein for free this would be awesome!).

Search the forum, there is a thread somewhere about weight training, can't remember what it said though.......

Iambackwards

1) If its not broke don't fix it. You'll get even better at estimating through experience.
2) Amount of meals doesn't matter as long as you remember how long novarapid lasts for (5 hours) and make sure that if you eat + take novarapid, then eat again in 3 hours there is still novarapid active for 2 more hours. Sounds like you probably are already good at this.
3) Not a chance you get prescribed protein supplements, especially since a lot of doctors aren't the biggest fan of protein shakes. But this would be awesome :D

jopar

1) One part says, if not broke, don't fix it.. But long term having a better idea concerning your carb/isulin ratio will be sooo benefical in many ways.. If everything starts to go belly up and you know what was your normal carb/insulin ration you have a better chance of fixing things..

2) In theory yes yo can, but there is a very high risk of ending up high as a kite, then banging out like a lead ballon when the insulin become stacked and does a one hit trick... So caution is a must indeed..

3) If a doctor deems that you have a valid medical reason for requireing either a protien based or meal supplement then they are able to prescribe them...

I think it's far from awesome waste valueable money requesting something that medically you do not need or require... As even though you many save money having it prescribed, there will be another person who's being prevented from gaining access to medication that is life saving for them... A disgusting selfish attitude to have...

joelcam

Thanks all, much appreciated...

Jopar - You have made me look at the whole protein thing from a different perspective and I agree with you totally...guess I hadn't really thought it through but your point is so valid! Feel like I've been told off, but I'm glad you pointed it out BEFORE I actually did something and I now only have to feel guilty about THINKING about it...so thank you!

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
try to have 7 smalls meals a day. I do this as im into weight training so that is also a plus but aparently everyone should be eating 7 small meals. Since ive been doing it this way my levels have gone down dramaticaly meaning I need to inject less insulin aswell 8)