Bad side effects of metformin

aquariel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. If you are not doing so already, I would suggest recording readings before and 2.5 hours after all food (recording also the food and its carb content), as well as recording when you take your meds and what readings you get there too. It was by doing so that I gradually saw patterns emerge, stopped my meds and worked on reducing carbs as much as I could. I advised my doctor and was supported because I could show results and my records. Good luck.
I have today had my first 3 month Hb test results and it has dropped from 70 to 44, so I've been told not to bother with these drugs. Its been a struggle but I'm told the major reason for the fall is the reduction in weight. I'm not convinced but I have contacted the Genesis project about the effects of the high fat diet on breast cancer. It seems there is no information on the long term effects of saturated fat on diabetes and the gut flora will change to produce more cancerous effects but again, no certainty.Its wiser therefore to follow the Mediteranean diet.So I think now to lose a bit more weight, stick to the diet, keep walking and try to get more veg instead of cream and cheese,over a long period.And hopefully that's the end to it.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
It can be hard to convince a doctor that diet has any impact on cancer, even bowel cancer!
It would be hard to convince me that it doesn't.
I am pretty clear that eating vegetable fats that have been chemically manipulated to be solid at room temperature is probably potentially dangerous. Eating fats that occur naturally, and which we are biologically adapted to eat is probably safe.
I couldn't do without my veggies. Green ones that grow above the ground mostly, but I love those bright colours too. Yum.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
"New" Metformin

Is it this stuff? It made me sick as a dog.

I think it is. The supplier is Merck Serono Ltd. If you are new to Diabetes try the LCHF diet and get rid of your Diabetes. Many on this Forum have gone Low Carb High Fat and revrsed their Diabetes. I wish I had found this Forum 20 years ago.

I am not sure if LCHF works for those like me on Insulin - but I am going to try.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have today had my first 3 month Hb test results and it has dropped from 70 to 44, so I've been told not to bother with these drugs. Its been a struggle but I'm told the major reason for the fall is the reduction in weight. I'm not convinced but I have contacted the Genesis project about the effects of the high fat diet on breast cancer. It seems there is no information on the long term effects of saturated fat on diabetes and the gut flora will change to produce more cancerous effects but again, no certainty.Its wiser therefore to follow the Mediteranean diet.So I think now to lose a bit more weight, stick to the diet, keep walking and try to get more veg instead of cream and cheese,over a long period.And hopefully that's the end to it.

Thanks aquariel. I haven't read up on the Mediterranean Diet yet but I am very impressed by the results people have had on the LCHF diet. There is a web site called Diet Doctor which is similar to LCHF which gives greater detail on which foods to eat.

charlie_CB_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was on this but the side affects were to much to handle but now have switched to new med called forxiga so much better now.

Reactions: ickihun

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took me a long time to be able to tolarate Metformin.
My tips is to use the slow release ones. Start low dose work up to what they want you to take and always take with food. Works best to take in the middle of a meal.
They wanted me to take 2000 mil in one go i still cant do that . 1000 with breakfast and 1000 with dinner works for me . No sickness or tummy upsets anymore.
Take your time working up is my advice.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
I believe LCHF does help if you are a Type 2 using insulin, because it reduces the amount of insulin you need, and that means you are less likely to take an incorrect dose. Watch it carefully though, you don't want to be having any hypos.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given a note to take to the clinic to tell them that I should be on the slow release form of Metformin, but on 2000 micrograms.
I was at the diabetes education session this afternoon and was told that low carb causes heart problems and cancer in the gut. Like they'd know.
I am apparently getting consistently normal BG readings on low carb despite not taking Metformin for some days - I just can't get used to the idea that I can't leave the house when I take it, I don't want to stay home and do lots of washing.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe LCHF does help if you are a Type 2 using insulin, because it reduces the amount of insulin you need, and that means you are less likely to take an incorrect dose. Watch it carefully though, you don't want to be having any hypos.
Thanks spendercat. I don't really get full hypos where I pass out - during the day my lips and head tell me when I am heading that way so I take a sweet or have some juice and eat something. At night I wake up sweating and my wife is wonderful at getting juice into me and something to eat.

I usually go to bed with my blood sugar about 7 or even a little higher if I go earlier and that usually sees me safely through the night.

In January I plan to start the LCHF diet so I will have watch carefully my BS readings to see if it works for me.

Thank you for the advice.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given a note to take to the clinic to tell them that I should be on the slow release form of Metformin, but on 2000 micrograms.
I was at the diabetes education session this afternoon and was told that low carb causes heart problems and cancer in the gut. Like they'd know.
I am apparently getting consistently normal BG readings on low carb despite not taking Metformin for some days - I just can't get used to the idea that I can't leave the house when I take it, I don't want to stay home and do lots of washing.

With all this different contradictory advice coming from health "professionals" who don't produce any evidence to back up their statements I am confused. This Forum has people who have "experience" as their "evidence" of how LCHF has made things BETTER for them. I like EXPERIENCE better than THEORY.

Reactions: pleinster

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It took me a long time to be able to tolarate Metformin.
My tips is to use the slow release ones. Start low dose work up to what they want you to take and always take with food. Works best to take in the middle of a meal.
They wanted me to take 2000 mil in one go i still cant do that . 1000 with breakfast and 1000 with dinner works for me . No sickness or tummy upsets anymore.
Take your time working up is my advice.
THAT SEEMS LIKE VERY GOOD ADVICE

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi aquariel. This year I have lost five and a half stone so far and my none fasting blood tests have shown such a significant drop in my results that I'm now having a second round of blood tests to check it's through control and the doctor wants to see me too. I'm no expert at all but your weight reduction probably has played a huge part in your results dropping.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Drat it, kymbala. They are the ones that my doctor gave me, that made me as sick as a dog. Oh well.
Less than 50g of carb is a bit of a slog some days. I would not do it if I was stable on insulin. On the other hand - I would gain weight..

I don't really think that I have a weight problem: 5 ft 9 inches and weigh 12.5 stone pretty regular. Because I eat mainly carbs in Uganda my blood sugar was always about 9 or more. 4 years ago the Doctor put me on Insulin and now my blood sugar is more regular at between 5 and 6. New problem arose always feeling bloated and waist increased from 38 to 40. Diabetic nurse put me on Slow Release Metformin earlier this year and I was able to reduce Insulin by 30% and waist now 39. In January I intend to try LCHF - watch this space.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi aquariel. This year I have lost five and a half stone so far and my none fasting blood tests have shown such a significant drop in my results that I'm now having a second round of blood tests to check it's through control and the doctor wants to see me too. I'm no expert at all but your weight reduction probably has played a huge part in your results dropping.
If thats your picture you don't have a weight problem at all

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If thats your picture you don't have a weight problem at all
I wish lol. I used to be slim I let the weight pile on as I eat so much, so now I'm working to get it off. I'm getting courageous though and may use one of my 'new me' pictures as my avatar eventually :)

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The argument seems to be that iron depletion occurs when metformin reduces b12. D.

Very interesting. But seriously, where did you hear that argument from? I have been singing its praises, but now after reading your post I am not so sure.