Insulin for type 2 diabetics

BIGALAN49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people that smoke, i'm sorry i'm an ex-smoker
hi there i've just read about people having to go on insulin for there diabetes, i've been a diabetic now for 44 years and the last 15 years been on two types of insulin and to start with i was gutted but when i look at my sugar glucose reading and i'm now below 10 and my yearly reading is at its lowest for the last 15 years, i'm glad i was put on insulin, for two reasons, first i couldn't control my diabetes, by diet control and then on tablets, my levels where like a lift up and down day after day,the second reason is that it work to control my diabetes, and by watching what i was eating, because i was a long distance lorry driver until 2009, when i slipped on ice and pulled three disc's out and trapped my sciatica nerves to which they are damaged and i'm in a lot of pain, so after having to finish work very early, i was able to managed to control my diabetes, diet, and bring my sugar levels down. so for anyone who is going on insulin, it may seam a bit scary, or embarrassing for anyone, but its there to help you to control your diabetes. All the best to anyone who is going on insulin for the first time, you will start to see the changes in your glucose readings.

kind regards
BIGALAN49:)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

Swanny57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have been feeling very unwell after starting sitagliptin, and also other diabetes meds, went to see nurse and said I am going to start on insulin and it is scaring me just seems drastic, but my levels are so bad I need to try it I think. Will I get side effects? Help

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Swanny57 - Hi:). I began using Insulin 2 years ago, at first I put on a bit of weight - but then lost it by reducing my portion size. My Insulin is split 24 units on a morning and 22 units at 6pm, I still take Metformin 500mg x 4 tablets. Prior to going on insulin I had been on Sitagliptin, Vitoza, Gliclazide just to name a few. :)

Swanny57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am struggling with losing weight but I really want to get my head into gear and do something about it, just a bit worried about the insulin and the effect it will have

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
welcome @BIGALAN49 :)

Yes, I didn't find it scary after I was told I hardly produce my own insulin anymore. I realised I had no choice in the matter. I've had diabetes since 1998, so not as long as yourself. I was put on insulin MDI at the beginning of 2010. Like you, I noticed an immediate improvement in my sugar levels.

Reactions: BIGALAN49

Gray2267

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with type 2 about nine years ago and I've been using insulin for two months. Fantastic results, my sugars have gone from the high 20s to being on target for the first time ever. I feel absolutely fabulous, loads of energy, no lethargy, no tiredness, I'm so happy now. It's nothing to be frightened of, i wish i had it years ago.

Reactions: azure

Swanny57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have started on my insulin just before Christmas, going well on a low dose in the evening but my levels have dropped so much already hoping will improve more.

Reactions: Mep