HbA1c results query

Shoelace1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I was diagnosed type 2 in August this year. At the beginning of Sep my HbA1c result was 93. Now, 3 months later it has dropped to 56.

I realise it's good, it has dropped, but is 56 still 'bad'/far to high, or OK? What should it ideally be?

I don't have access to a diabetic nurse at the moment, to ask about it. (and Dr's seem clueless!).

I am on Metformin & Vipidia.

Thank you

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Hello

I was diagnosed type 2 in August this year. At the beginning of Sep my HbA1c result was 93. Now, 3 months later it has dropped to 56.

I realise it's good, it has dropped, but is 56 still 'bad'/far to high, or OK? What should it ideally be?

I don't have access to a diabetic nurse at the moment, to ask about it. (and Dr's seem clueless!).

I am on Metformin & Vipidia.

Thank you
It's good , it's in the right direction. Keep up the good work will tag @daisy1 for more info for you .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
up to 41 is non-diabetic
42 to 47 is pre-diabetic
48 and above is diabetic.

Well done on that substantial drop. That is excellent :) Hopefully next time it will be even lower. 56 isn't drastic, but isn't considered good control either. I do believe the NHS like you to be under 53, preferably a lot lower. However, I still congratulate you on your achievement so far.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Reactions: Shoelace1973

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good progress @Shoelace1973
As HbA1c is measuring over a period of about 3 months it's very good progress and you should expect to see an improvement next time. I'm assuming that you have made changes during those 3 months but your meter should help you see what is happening on a day to day basis. It took me several weeks to get anything under 7 on my meter so I was really pleased to get a 50 after 3 months and that has now come down even lower.

Shoelace1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies. Yes, I have made dietary changes, as well as the meds. Does it matter to much if occasionally blood sugars go up to around 12, after a meal, if the HBA1c are still ok?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your replies. Yes, I have made dietary changes, as well as the meds. Does it matter to much if occasionally blood sugars go up to around 12, after a meal, if the HBA1c are still ok?
High blood sugar does damage so going up to 12 even occasionally is not really a good idea if you have the means of not doing so. It also depends on how long after a meal the measurement is taken. If you measure two hours or more after a meal and it is 12 then it's going to be some time before it is within acceptable limits.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
Well done getting it down
Next stage is getting it down more good luck

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, double figure levels cause damage, even if they don't happen every day. Perhaps you should use your meter to teach you which foods to eat and which to avoid. Testing before you eat and 2 hours after first bite will help you do this - especially if you keep a food diary and record your levels alongside. If you go up too high, either reduce the portions of the carbs and try again, or eliminate them. The problem with HbA1c tests is that they are a sort of average, so they don't find the highs and lows. Your HbA1c of 56 is equivalent to an average of 9mmol/l (as per our meters) so you are spending a lot of time above 9.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Shoelace1973

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. It includes advice on levels and carbs and a link to the Low Carb Program. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
I know it's difficult but it has to be done unfortunately !! it does get easier and you see the results chin up

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't seem to give up chocolate & crisps!
I used to eat a LOT of chocolate but once diagnosed as diabetic (Type 2) I did try to stop/lessen the amount I ate. I've got a VERY sweet tooth, I have to say but, since low carbing, I've actually lost the urge to eat it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to scoff a whole bar of chocolate right now but, I know it will not do me any favours healthwise.

Carbs are funny things. They seem to be addictive but, since I've stopped eating them, I don't crave for them. If I feel I need a 'nibble' of something, I get some cheese or walnuts and a coffee with cream ;) That sorts it out for me :)

Before I started reducing carbs, I looked at what foods were 'allowed' when low carb-ing and I felt that no-way would I be able to do this diet. However, I gradually cut carbs, saw the benefits on my meter which encouraged me to continue. As I had said, I don't 'crave' for carbs now but I could certainly love eating some if it wasn't for the issues related, plus the re-awakened craving for chocolate, bread etc etc etc ;)

I hope you find a solution ;) Good luck

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
My hubby @eldergarth replaced crisps with yushoi snapea rice sticks you can get them from Amazon . There really nice and for chocolate he has cavalier Belgian chocolate different flavours . Both have very little effect on his bg levels. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
Get yourself used to something like Lindt 85% dark chocolate and allow yourself one square (they are big squares) as a treat on the days you hanker after chocolate. This is what I did. I started on the 75% and soon got used to the 85%. If I tried milk chocolate now it would taste disgustingly sweet! IT WORKED FOR ME!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All is not lost - think laterally! There are lots of alternative, healthy, lower carb treats available for us to indulge in as diabetics, so have a good look around for ideas! :D

Dark high percentage cocoa (e.g. 75% and over) chocolate is actually GOOD for you but just keep to smallish quantities, and it can also apparently help with insulin resistance. You can make yourself things like parmesan crisps - which are quick, easy and fun to make and pretty to look at as well as being low in carbs.

Robbity