Note to self: Read Label, then ......

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I just wasted 30 calories and 8 carbs by "cleaning" the applebutter spoon by putting it into my mouth after making toast for my mother. I am so annoyed. This brand of applebutter Mussleman's has more sugar and less spice than the Amish applebutter we usually buy or make. I read the label after I had already swallowed it and thought-"Wow!-I can really taste the sugar in that applebutter-I must be getting used to not eating added sugar." One Tablespoon contains 30 calories and 8 carbs! It is very thick and so sticks to both sides of the spoon and makes a mess in the dishwasher. Applebutter is made by peeling and boiling apples down with a small amount of sugar or honey and lots of cinnamon and nutmeg-sometimes ginger too. It generally is a less sweet version of jam but not this bottle-and we bought a quart of it. I was rushed at the store and did not fully read the label there. I am recommitted to reading labels of any prepared food that I buy. Is anyone else "tasting" goodies as they prepare food for their family this holiday? Has anyone else had this annoying experience in buying a product they thought would be lower carb and found that it was instead very high carb?

A

asparagusp

For those who were as puzzled as I was apple butter is according to Google -
upload_2016-12-16_18-36-31.jpeg
Apple butter is a highly concentrated form of apple sauce produced by long, slow cooking of apples with cider or water to a point where the sugar in the apples caramelizes, turning the apple butter a deep brown. The concentration of sugar gives apple butter a much longer shelf life as a preserve than apple sauce.

Reactions: SWUSA_

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
I just wasted 30 calories and 8 carbs by "cleaning" the applebutter spoon by putting it into my mouth after making toast for my mother. I am so annoyed. This brand of applebutter Mussleman's has more sugar and less spice than the Amish applebutter we usually buy or make. I read the label after I had already swallowed it and thought-"Wow!-I can really taste the sugar in that applebutter-I must be getting used to not eating added sugar." One Tablespoon contains 30 calories and 8 carbs! It is very thick and so sticks to both sides of the spoon and makes a mess in the dishwasher. Applebutter is made by peeling and boiling apples down with a small amount of sugar or honey and lots of cinnamon and nutmeg-sometimes ginger too. It generally is a less sweet version of jam but not this bottle-and we bought a quart of it. I was rushed at the store and did not fully read the label there. I am recommitted to reading labels of any prepared food that I buy. Is anyone else "tasting" goodies as they prepare food for their family this holiday? Has anyone else had this annoying experience in buying a product they thought would be lower carb and found that it was instead very high carb?
Very naughty but where can I get it, or I will have to try and make it

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Very naughty but where can I get it, or I will have to try and make it
The best place to get it are the Amish Shoppes here (USA)-I think it might be best to try and make it though. I will look for a recipe for you.
This website is good:
www.countryfarm-lifestyles.com/amish-recipes.html

Just ask me if you do not understand the measurements or directions. Sour apples make the best applebutter. It is a diet food for them because it is low fat and traditionally made with many spices so you just use a small amount in place of butter and jam.
Wait though-it is high carb-that was he point of the post.:banghead:

Last edited:

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
The best place to get it are the Amish Shoppes here (USA)-I think it might be best to try and make it though. I will look for a recipe for you.
This website is good:
www.countryfarm-lifestyles.com/amish-recipes.html

Just ask me if you do not understand the measurements or directions. Sour apples make the best applebutter. It is a diet food for them because it is low fat and traditionally made with many spices so you just use a small amount in place of butter and jam.
Wait though-it is high carb-that was he point of the post.:banghead:
Thanks, I would like the recipe I know its high carb, BUT I have to have something enjoyable

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks, I would like the recipe I know its high carb, BUT I have to have something enjoyable
Peter I sent you a private message with the recipe in it. Enjoy -but a little goes a long way-and it may raise your BG a lot. :cat:

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
Peter I sent you a private message with the recipe in it. Enjoy -but a little goes a long way-and it may raise your BG a lot. :cat:
Thank you! Its only Christmas once a year