Actos /pioglitazone

rcampbl

has anyone tried any of the above medications, am having major problems with metformin sr and a friend was put on pioglitazone but she is the only one I know, just wondered if anyone else has tried them. thanks
Rosemary

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
rcampbl said:
has anyone tried any of the above medications, am having major problems with metformin sr and a friend was put on pioglitazone but she is the only one I know, just wondered if anyone else has tried them. thanks
Rosemary

I was on Pioglitazone for quite some time with no ill effects and it was quite effective for a while in lowering my Bg levels. I eventually came off it when I started on Byetta.

Here is a link to a website with more information about the drug.
http://www.patient.co.uk/medicines/Pioglitazone.htm

Heather Eyles

Hi

I was same as Cugila. On Actos along with 2g Metformin SR but had to come off it when I went onto Byetta.

I did get slight swollen ankles on the Actos and this was another reason I was taken off it.

Cheers

Heather x

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Was only on actos 10 days and so depressed wanted to call time on my life so stopped it and am feeling my normal sunny self again however its not one of the listed side effects but have never had those sort of dark thoughts before

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I was put on Actos a couple of years ago and yes it does work at lowering your BG but, its side effects are not the best. Swollen ankles, slight dizziness (i.e. more than usual :)), runs, etc were all experienced. That said I get similar with metformin, even Met_sr . I have asked my doctor to see a dietician long since and he continually did nothing but push oral treatments, begining to think he is on a cut from the drugs compnay ;-) .

Not at all sure about these orals solutions now, after having such poor reactions to them! I am quiet active in my job, if carrying some extra wt (fattish but, not obese) so, a few weeks ago I decided to take some other action for myself. That is by using a low starch dieting solution and watching my glycemic load, referencing a table in a book from Rob Thomson MD, The Low Starch Diabetes Solution. I know we are all different but, it is working great for me so far, lost half a stone and BG down at normal safe levels consistently. Would give this book a 5* rating,

dmk12

Hi I have been on actos for the past 3 months, as well as gliclizide. The actos has not made much difference to my blood sugars and I was told I would have to double the dose, but my thighs and knees have swollen quite a lot so now I have to get something else to try. I have not had much luch with anything else I have taken and I am now running out of opptions. I also gained 1/2 a stone in weight since taking actos. D

jane22

I took it for about 6 months with glucophage. It brought my Hb1ac down from 8 to 6.5 but I had many hypos and felt hungry frequently. My weight went up by nearly a stone and so I came off it. I am waiting for Byetta now.

helen315

I was put on Actos, and although it brought my bloods down dramatically, I blew up like a balloon and I put on 2 stone in a couple of months, I am struggling now to get the weight off again.

Unbeliever

It ca make retinopathy and macular oedema worse too. Rosiglitazone caused me to have a major bleed in my eye . My nurse recommended PIO glitazone as the only alternative to insulin at the time/

To me the clue was in the name but she assured me it was safe. I ddn't believe her and when i checked the NHS specifically warns against giving i to anyone with macula r oedema as it can make it worse/

Needless to say I haven't believed anything she says since then.

Altogether I think I can well understand why this drug is banned in some other countries.