Christmas and Christmas Day and food

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
I spent 2 weeks on holiday in China in August and ate guess what - Chinese! Every day. I just avoided the sweet sauces and didn't overdo the rice and was fine. I will be cooking Christmas dinner for 14 this year so won't be cooking different for me, like a lot of others on here, cutting down on potatoes etc but extra turkey. No pud, find it too sweet anyway, will have cheese or maybe strawberries and cream (or both). All will be washed down with plenty of red wine. Merry Christmas ana a Happy and healthy New Year to one and all.
Sounds nice to me !!! I don't drink alcohol ... never have ... so that bit will be easy too, Now who said it's a problem being a diabetic???? hee hee

Reactions: Freema and mo53

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually spend some part of Christmas day high, typically because I don't count the carbs correctly and because so many people are around my management gets forgotten. I'm hoping the freestyle libre will really help me this year!

Reactions: mo53

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So my question do you decide sod it it's one or two days out 365 and just enjoy it and eat what you like but cut back on roasties and sweets etc or do you stick to your diets or what ever you do to help control it.

My christmas eve is a once in a blue moon chinese take away (we don't cook christmas eve, one night off a year and all). There will be the usual christmas fair on the day.

I will avoid rice and noodles in the chinese, plenty of vegetable dishes to chose from. Our chinese doesn't seem to overdo the MSG as my wife says it's the only chinese take away where she doesn't end up drinking gallons of water.

Christmas day I just avoid the spuds, cake, pudding, again, there's plenty of different vegetables to eat. We also have a rule that our plate of food should resemble a bungalow, single story, no piling the plate up. If it's not on the plate you can't eat it.

In the past I have found that having a blow out one day can so easily ends up with eating more than usual on several days, not good for the diet.

Merry Christmas to one and all, Happy Holiday if you don't celebrate christmas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voodoorising

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I had my Chinese Banquet last night with my lads. Had a few Coke Zeros to wash it down ( I was driving ) had a few after dinner chocolates I know it was naughty. Bloods before 5.6 and 2hrs after it was 7.3 so quiet pleased with that. Let's hope Xmas dinner is as forgiving to me

Merry Christmas every one

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I had my Chinese Banquet last night with my lads. Had a few Coke Zeros to wash it down ( I was driving ) had a few after dinner chocolates I know it was naughty. Bloods before 5.6 and 2hrs after it was 7.3 so quiet pleased with that. Let's hope Xmas dinner is as forgiving to me

Merry Christmas every one

That's a great result. Well done hope you enjoyed it.
Happy Christmas

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first Christmas as a diabetic too ... but as my daughter doesn't like Roast potatoes (well ANY potatoes in fact), bread sauce, stuffing etc,
then this time I will have what she always has .... lots of turkey slices, lots and lots of fresh veggies nd no gravy :)
She doesn't ever have mince pies, xmas cake, or xmas pudd either. I think my daughter will make it easy for me, and of course there's always the raspberries and cream for afters :)
well I hate xmas dinners I don't like turkey. so for my dinner ive had a sandwich lettuce ,tomato,cucumber.with picled onion and half a scotch egg and I feel great , I ve never held xmas for 12 years now. I prefer boxing day were you can enjoy Buffet food.
I will be having roasted lamb chops, roasted brussel sprouts and asparagus and a nice fresh salad. I feel the same as @Brunneria , I would be ill if I had any sort of carb fest. That's not enjoying my holiday. I will also be having a few drinks. All that being said, my meter never cuts me a break so I'll just be sticking with my normal foods. There are other ways to enjoy the holidays for me other than food.
That being said, it's just the two of us and I'm cooking so it makes it very easy. Not sure how I would handle a big family buffet. They cause me anxiety.[/Q

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well Christmas dinner all eaten and done. 5.3 before and 8.3 2hrs after but forgot to take my metformin till an hour after I had eaten. Still reasonably happy with that though.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I am astounded had Christmas dinner at about 6:15 PM including a little Christmas pudding with brandy butter and a nice glass of Merlot and at 8:30 PM blood sugar was 5.1 crazy days of late.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 This morning I've had 2 days of very sinfull eating .....
All the sweet things like dates and figs and sugar coated almonds chokolades Rice puddings and lots of heavy salats and potatoes .... and
Today my numbers got really high ..:. Tomorrow I'll be back on a normal low carb and low calorie diet ... But How about all my foods that I cant eat ..... well hope I will not get to tempted maybe I'll visit a friend and give her most of
The sweets ..... 7.2 This Night

Reactions: JohnEGreen

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started the day at 6.2 - a bit higher than normal but put that down to excitement and santa - have been a bit more relaxed this year - had a little bit of everything I fancied on my lunch - lots of lovely melbec - no chocolates or snacking - tested once 2 hrs after lunch got an 8 - not bad - back in the low 5s now so happy with that - merry Xmas all - hope it was everything you wanted it to be xxxx

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had lunch with all the trimmings followed by an individual Christmas pud, sml piece of cake in afternoon and a small turkey and chutney bread roll, packet of crisps (which I rarely eat) and some Pavlova . I didn't eat any mince pies or chocolates though!! After 2 hours I was 8.00, 3 hours 6.7 and this morning I'm 5.9 - higher than usual but not too bad considering!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 5.6 before lunch and 7.5 after 2 hours. I then went for a walk for just over an hour and was down to 4.1. I did continue eating so was pleased with 5.8 this morning.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My meter was locked away, but then someone mentioned diabetes (not me) and insisted on being tested. This was around 2.5 hours after starting to eat. I am the only diabetic. Results -
Me - 5.6
son-in-law - 7.3
daughter - 5.7
granddaughter (18) - 6.5

so the diabetic won, and I was gobsmacked as I had eaten a large yorkshire pud, some roast spuds, carrots and peas with masses of gravy, and 3 or 4 sweets (amongst other stuff of course). I think the red wine helped! I was 5.3 at bedtime and 5.8 this morning.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Xmas dinner for me was too much. Had it on a 12 inch plate and on it was slices of beef, chicken and ham, plenty of cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage sprouts with bacon bits, 2 Yorkshire puds, 4 pigs in blankets, 3 roast potatoes and a big spoonful of mash, topped with beef gravy.

Had a few bottles of Budweiser, couple of drinks of spiced rum and diet coke, tequila shots and Xmas punch.

Today I'm at my cousin's to have some more drinks and some party food.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Xmas dinner for me was too much. Had it on a 12 inch plate and on it was slices of beef, chicken and ham, plenty of cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage sprouts with bacon bits, 2 Yorkshire puds, 4 pigs in blankets, 3 roast potatoes and a big spoonful of mash, topped with beef gravy.

Had a few bottles of Budweiser, couple of drinks of spiced rum and diet coke, tequila shots and Xmas punch.

Today I'm at my cousin's to have some more drinks and some party food.
I suppose the partridge escaped because it was up in the pear tree. :)