Porridge on lchf diet?

suejat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks penfold . I will try that at the weekend when I'm not working as I can't test at work (where I will Be 2 hours after breakfast ) . X
I find the larger the flakes of oatmeal the better-- this rules out instant porridge. If coarse porridge spikes, try cutting it with ground almonds, and or ground flaxseed

Reactions: dbr10 and azure

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I eat instant Porridge like aldi make on lchf diet?
I do, and it seems ok for me. Only use the Aldi one, a) its cheaper, b) seems to have no hidden sugars. I find the syrup one better than the fruit one. Paradoxically it has less carbs.

TheNeedles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Like PenfoldAPD I find porridge spikes me. This is especially true of many types of instant porridge which are horribly sweetened.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ooh-psyllium husk powder gives me an asthma attack faster than just about anything else!

Psyllium Husk can be a problem hindering the uptake of medicine if taken at the same time or hours close to taking the medication

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are using a slow cooker overnight try groats - the whole uncrushed and uncut porridge.

S

serenity648

I have porridge every morning, and it doesnt affect my blood sugars at all. I have the Lidl oats and make it slowly, maybe that helps? You will only know if its OK by testing, I;m afraid, as we all react differently to foods.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I have porridge too most days (I live in Scotland :) ). It's made with water and wholegrain rolled oats (39p for 500g from Lidl), finished with a little splash of milk, sometimes 2% but often almond milk, and then I stir in ground flax seed. I've found that it, luckily, doesn't give me a big spike but I know that porridge does affect some people more than others. (I admit I haven't tested after 3 or 4 hours but my 2hr reading was down from my 1 hr reading when I last checked).
I just read your post about oatmeal-I have scot heritage and that is just how I make it also. Do you have fishcakes with yours sometimes?