Victoza & a low carb diet ?

tracey72

Hi,
i have been on Victoza for 9 days & it is working very well for me as my blood sugars have gone down from 11 too 5.9.i am also lossing weight which i haven't been able to do for years.
i was woundering if i can do a low carb diet while taking Victoza ?
i don't want my bllod sugars too go too low.

i was going to do the new atkins diet; New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great (Paperback).i belive you can have fruit on this one.havent read the book yet as i am waiting for it to come from amazon.

thanx for taking the time to read & hopefully reply to my post :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Unless you have some medical reason there is no diet that you cannot follow. Many people low carb.

The drug you are taking, Victoza is a hypo inducing drug so therefore you just need to be careful that you consume enough carbs to make sure that you don't hypo. You need to test frequently particularly in the early stages of your diet to ensure your Bg levels are controlled well.

I have no experience of the Atkin's Diet you mention, so you need to look into it carefully. There may be some other users of the drug here who can advise you about that.

Ken.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Technically I don't low carb......my carb intake is no more than 70-80g per day. That makes me a moderate low carber. I just reduce the carbs and use a Low GI/GL diet for medical reasons. I personally do not follow any particular plan/diet, I just do what is good for me.

Have you looked at the newbies guide to low carbing ? Here is a link to it which explains much.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7215#p64246

Ken

tracey72

i have done low carb diets for years.i have even done the keto diet.i was once a bodybuilder till my body decided to kick me in the guts.
hopefully once my body gets back into shape i will beable to start it up again.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Well, if you know about low carbing what is to stop you gettin back into it now ? Surely that would help you to get back into shape as well ? Low carbing has to be one of the most effective methods for weight loss, or is it some other reason why you need time to start it ? Must admit I am a bit puzzled by what you just said.

Ken

tracey72

i did low carb diets but didnt lose any weight in the past.
i was just wondering seeings that my blood sugars are under controle & that i am lossing weight weather it would be a good idea to go on a low carb diet.i didn't know if i could do a low carb diet seeings i am on victoza.
i have tried all manner off diets & not lost weight but over the last week i have lost weight since being on victoza & i haven't even been on a diet.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
tracey72 said:
i have tried all manner off diets & not lost weight but over the last week i have lost weight since being on victoza & i haven't even been on a diet.

Seems good to me.......if the Victoza is working and your Bg levels are good and losing weight then why not wait and see how you go before deciding if you need to low carb. As I said previously, there is no reason why you cannot go low carb with Victoza. You must be doing something right, so why restrict your diet if it is working well and you can achieve what you want.

Ken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
Technically I don't low carb......my carb intake is no more than 70-80g per day. That makes me a moderate low carber. I just reduce the carbs and use a Low GI/GL diet for medical reasons. I personally do not follow any particular plan/diet, I just do what is good for me.

Have you looked at the newbies guide to low carbing ? Here is a link to it which explains much.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7215#p64246

Ken

Ken, I would say that by eating 70-80g per day that you are indeed a 'low-carber'. I have often wondered what level of daily carbs determines how you would describe our diets, I have seen people posting that mention they eat 100-150g of carbs, yet they say they follow a low-carb diet. Although I don't really care to much about how people would describe my carb intake, which can vary from 90-130g each day, I do use the term reduced/moderate when explaining this to folk who ask about my diet plan.

Therefore, are you aware what level of carbs describes someone as a low/moderate carber for clarification purposes, as this often causes confusion on the forum. Personally, I would say anyone who eats below the recommended guidelines are low-carbing in effect, but that is only my opinion.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Nigel.
This is from the Newbies guide on Low Carbing, drawn up by Fergus.......

An effective low carb diet is one which maintains, most of the time, a healthy blood glucose level. The amount of carbs it contains will vary between individuals. The consensus on the forum is that the following applies:

Low carb (ketogenic) 0-50g carbohydrate per day
Typical low carb 50-90g
Liberal low carb 90-130g
Moderate carbs 130-170g
High carb 170g plus a day

Now as you say I shold really use the term low carber but as I don't consume a great deal of fat and I disagree with other aspects of a 'Low Carb' diet I, just like you use the term reduced carbs. One noted 'low carber' reckons I eat too many......it has always puzzled me as I fit the Typical Low Carb' criteria, just without all the fat ! Now it does say concensus so I suppose there was a vote taken ??
I am not sure about that.

Ken

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a person on Victoza myself I have upto 100g of carbs a day, I have to sustain a good BG level and the drug is doing it's work. Last week I got a bad stomach, felt sick etc...so I didn't have enough carbs and my BG levels went up higher than normal. I would dearly love to lose more weight with Victoza but it has since stopped working, I have actually got a bit of a belly since taking it, but I must admit I feel so much better on this drug than others I have tried in the past.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
Hi Nigel.
This is from the Newbies guide on Low Carbing, drawn up by Fergus.......

An effective low carb diet is one which maintains, most of the time, a healthy blood glucose level. The amount of carbs it contains will vary between individuals. The consensus on the forum is that the following applies:

Low carb (ketogenic) 0-50g carbohydrate per day
Typical low carb 50-90g
Liberal low carb 90-130g
Moderate carbs 130-170g
High carb 170g plus a day

Now as you say I shold really use the term low carber but as I don't consume a great deal of fat and I disagree with other aspects of a 'Low Carb' diet I, just like you use the term reduced carbs. One noted 'low carber' reckons I eat too many......it has always puzzled me as I fit the Typical Low Carb' criteria, just without all the fat ! Now it does say concensus so I suppose there was a vote taken ??
I am not sure about that.

Ken

Thanks for that info Ken! :) Well going by Fergus definition of low carb, both you and I, and many others fall into the low-carb criteria. I am not sure too if this is Fergus's own interpretation of defining carb intake, or a general acceptance across the board.

As everyone can appreciate, it can be misleading sometimes when reading someones post when they say that they are low-carbing, as often you'll find they maybe eating as little as 30g to 150g, so the advice offered may not be appropriate.

Nigel