Type 2 Results not good

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just had my HbA1c results after Herculean efforts with low carb, low calorie and intermittent fasting since beginning October. Not good. :(
HbA1c is 56 down from 60.
% is 7.3 down from 7.6
my lipids have gone up!
It's VERY disheartening, feel like giving up, yet I know this won't help

Very discouraged, can anyone shed light on the situation?

Reactions: Freema

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your hba1c has reduced, that's good news right? I bet you've learnt a lot too to help bring it down next time. It's a journey. If you're improving then your on the right path (not knowledgeable enough to comment on lipids).

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What jumps out at me is that you started your Herculean efforts in October - that is less than 3 months. If you have average red blood cell life your latest test will be including some of the higher levels you had before you started.

Did you fast for this test? If not, your triglycerides will have been affected. After eating they are swimming round your blood stream doing their job, so a reading will be higher.

Which of your lipids have gone up?

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What jumps out at me is that you started your Herculean efforts in October - that is less than 3 months. If you have average red blood cell life your latest test will be including some of the higher levels you had before you started.

Did you fast for this test? If not, your triglycerides will have been affected. After eating they are swimming round your blood stream doing their job, so a reading will be higher.

I have only had the results over the phone, so I will go into the surgery and get the print out. So I'm not sure , the receptionist said my serum lipids up, and I need to discuss this at the review! My diabetes review is not until 3/1/17, so I'm hoping I can see the actual print out before then.
Yes,I only became fully committed in October, I had tried 8 week blood sugar diet on and off before that, but became despondent and hit the cornflakes! So I've really tried hard since the Desmond course in late September, before that it was hit and miss.
I don't want to sink into another carb fest, and undo all my hard work, I'm not taking any medication at all, and with Christmas looming I'm concerned my guard will drop, because I haven't had the results I expected. I know it's wimpy of me, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Reactions: Serena51 and Freema

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks for your reply

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@LAR just bear in mind that it probably took several years of Insulin Resistance morphing into T2D. It is very unlikely you will be able to turn the T2D oil tanker round in less than a year. My HbA1c in June was 44 and then in October 43, disappointing, but encouraged me to redouble my efforts because clearly my BS was controlled - on the basis that it is not out of control. I looked through my food diary and have made further adjustments. If my next test also delivers a 40-something I will probably look to further tighten my carb intake.

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@LAR just bear in mind that it probably took several years of Insulin Resistance morphing into T2D. It is very unlikely you will be able to turn the T2D oil tanker round in less than a year. My HbA1c in June was 44 and then in October 43, disappointing, but encouraged me to redouble my efforts because clearly my BS was controlled - on the basis that it is not out of control. I looked through my food diary and have made further adjustments. If my next test also delivers a 40-something I will probably look to further tighten my carb intake.
Thanks for your input. It helps. :happy:

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I've really tried hard since the Desmond course in late September
Desmond courses don't have a particularly great reputation as far as teaching a low carb diet is concerned. Are you sure that you are following a proper low carb diet? Tell us what your typical meals are, maybe you are eating some things, which if dropped, could make all the difference. Have you looked at Diet Doctor, https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
Good luck with is all,
Sally

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't be despondent. Look at it as a challenge to get even lower next time.. You have no cause for concern about lipids until you see the results and may get a pleasant surprise - your HDL may be up (good) and that may be why your total is up.

I had a blip in the summer when mine went up 2 whole points for no reason I could think of. This time it went down 3 whole points without any extra effort.

MissMac

I too would be interested to see what you have been eating typically and as someone has said, if the test was within the 3 months you will still have had some skewed results. Personally I refused the DESMOND course as I knew it would be the outdated information spawned by the NHS.
What struck me also is your statement that you have been following low calorie..the lush thing about LCHF (IF you are doing that) is you don't have to get too hung up on them (within reason) same with lipids, when you have had your review it may be that overall they have gone up however the "good" ones have done that and the bad gone down. I hope you will come back and let us know...though I had fab results with my first HBA1C I still suffer the "what is the point" moments (I've just had one and the guys on here as ever were FAB) so trust me when I say....someone will know the struggle and know what to say to make you feel less hopeless and alone. And it's still a reduction for sure, you will get there I am sure xxx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be despondant.
Diabetes is a very long game, and you will be amazed at how cumulatively beneficial your efforts become over time (but also how cumulatively degenerative they are if you go in the other direction).

And as for Xmas, pah! Don't worry about having a fantastic time while low carbing.
Look at these menu choices. Every one delicious and low carb. No excuse for feeling deprived! :D
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-xmassy-deliciousness.112876/#post-1329021

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never give up. You are doing your best, your body will thank you for it and the results you want will come.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Every journey starts with a first step and you have taken it in the right direction but do not expect overnight success it takes time you are doing well so don't get depressed and keep going.:)

Reactions: Freema and LAR

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow! What a great bunch you are. The power of the positive. Thanks everyone SO MUCH. Really has helped me get my head back into the right place.
Thanks so so much xx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As has already been said, since you have only been doing LCHF since October I wouldn't expect much of a result. It's mathematically impossible since, in part, you are testing the same blood cells that were tested in October.

Another point worth noting is that in the early days you might not be so clever at identifying foods that are high in carbs. One poster on here the other day had been doing his LCHF while reading the traffic light labelling on the front of the food packaging. Fat chance.

Also some prepared foods claim to be chicken or fish and they are not. It is essential that you read the total carbs on the big label on the back of the pack to know what's what.

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As has already been said, since you have only been doing LCHF since October I wouldn't expect much of a result. It's mathematically impossible since, in part, you are testing the same blood cells that were tested in October.

Another point worth noting is that in the early days you might not be so clever at identifying foods that are high in carbs. One poster on here the other day had been doing his LCHF while reading the traffic light labelling on the front of the food packaging. Fat chance.

Also some prepared foods claim to be chicken or fish and they are not. It is essential that you read the total carbs on the big label on the back of the pack to know what's what.
Thanks for your reply, very helpful

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Every journey starts with a first step and you have taken it in the right direction but do not expect overnight success it takes time you are doing well so don't get depressed and keep going.:)
Thanks John

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't be despondant.
Diabetes is a very long game, and you will be amazed at how cumulatively beneficial your efforts become over time (but also how cumulatively degenerative they are if you go in the other direction).

And as for Xmas, pah! Don't worry about having a fantastic time while low carbing.
Look at these menu choices. Every one delicious and low carb. No excuse for feeling deprived! :D
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-xmassy-deliciousness.112876/#post-1329021
Thank you Brunneria, I do follow your sage advice a lot!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best thing is @LAR you have taken ownership of your condition and are going to do something about it. That is a big step to have taken. The results will come in time as everyone else has said ... it's still early days. Your numbers are going in the right direction which is a big thing.. not sure what your HCP's have said but mine all said this is a progressive disease and you will only get worse. You have shown that this is not the case.. a great start.