Wearing socks inside out

CADDICKD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I am a type 2 Diabetic and in the first week in August I injured my right foot. I was being treated by the nurse at my Doctor's surgery. About the end of September the nurse suggested I go and see a Chiropodist. I went to see one and have been seeing her once a week and the nurse once a week. After my second visit to the Chiropodist, she told me Diabetic patients should wear their socks inside out, so that the seam does not rub against my foot. When I told the nurse at the doctors surgery, she had never heard this. Do many others wear their socks inside out?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have never heard of that but I might try that

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
not heard of that .. I do wear soft top socks as the normal one rub my scar from the heart bypass .. they took the vain from my leg

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
No cos there's nothing wrong with my feet. if there was it's still not something I would do. having said that I don't wear a helmet on a push bike either.

amber22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I have started wearing my socks inside out recently. Not all of them. Only the ones with a hard seam across the toes.
I can't remember where I read to do this but it makes sense to me.
I had and am having problems with my feet so I will do things that will help minimize further problems.

Reactions: Prem51 and Energize

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Only when I am dressing and still half asleep. But saying that, if you get more comfort from wearing your socks inside out, go ahead. Your socks, your feet. In fact I think I might try it. After all, if someone notices then I can always say, "I was in a bit of a hurry this morning".

Reactions: Prem51

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If someone cares that much that your socks are inside out or even don't match then they need to get a life. Makes sense to keep the seam from rubbing if you have problems with your feet. I find socks that are tight on my toes are a problem.

D

Deleted member 308541

I can't stand to see someone wearing odd socks. It puts my nerves on edge and makes me feel a bit sick.
That's why I only buy black work socks, no problems with the odd ones when one sock springs a leak in the toe or heel.

The socks I get have a thinnish seam in the toe, and does not seem to press in to the foot. As for turning them inside out, mine get folded the way they went into the washing machine. :D

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always wore my socks inside out even before diabetes - I only wear them with boots in the winter and buy the thick thermal ones - I don't know why just always have ??

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have trouble with my feet, but usually wear socks inside out, if they have a hard or large-ish seam. I also wear my vest inside out for the same reason - I have sensitive skin (vitiligo) and I find it stops any possible rubbing. If anybody notices or doesn't like it - tough! Go get a life.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always used to wear bought socks inside out, they usually had a hard seam which was uncomfortable. These days I make my own, which are so comfortable, and graft the join so there is nothing to rub.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually wear socks inside if I can feel the seam over the toes. But I do try to buy better quality socks with delicate stitching that does not protrude. I also wear certain items of underwear inside out that have rough seams on the inside.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Salvia - however I don't have any genuine issues that cause me to really need to wear any socks or underwear inside out. But when I was a small child I always wondered what perverted logic required us to have to wear things with uncomfortable or itchy seams next to our skins, so I do often opt to wear them inside out. My pet hate is scratchy labels on the inside of my clothes!

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Odd socks are good.

Errrm - odd socks are just plain ...ODD.

I used to work with a very scatty blonde who sometimes came to work wearing odd shoes - she found this extremely funny if pointed out and she'd laugh her socks off! :D:D

Robbity

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't stand to see someone wearing odd socks. It puts my nerves on edge and makes me feel a bit sick.
@mahola,
A friend's husband will often wear odd socks, ie one orange, the other red or green etc. This is deliberate, or so he says - but he has some dementia so who knows ;) It makes him happy when anyone comments, though, so no real problem, eh?

Personally, I don't like my socks being odd so I clip them together with clothes peg! Yes, in the wash with a peg on, out on the line with the peg, in the drawer with peg!!! The only time the peg comes off (except by accident) is when I'm wearing them - as long as I remember to unclip them, of course .... Oops, another trip ...... ;)

Reactions: Prem51 and Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@mahola,
A friend's husband will often wear odd socks, ie one orange, the other red or green etc. This is deliberate, or so he says - but he has some dementia so who knows ;) It makes him happy when anyone comments, though, so no real problem, eh?

Totally agree. Lets face it, as we get older eccentric dressing is one of the few things we can have some fun and get away with :) It can be amusing observing people wondering what to do. :angelic: Oh dear. The daft old bat is wearing that inside out, or back to front, or whatever. Erm .... shall I say anything, or leave it be? Great fun :D:D

(Plus it can cover up a multitude of things .....)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly, I have never noticed anyone's socks. Unless of course they're black with tennis shoes in summer. But who cares??? If they're comfortable in their own socks then they should have at it. Life is much too short to worry about which side in and out. Do what's comfortable.

When my daughter was about 6 she used to have a fit if that seam line wasn't perfectly straight. As a single mother I had no patience or time for that. Too bad they can't move the seam to the instep so we don't feel it. Haha.

Reactions: Salvia and Prem51

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When my boys hit their teens they would not put things like socks in the laundry. I refuse to chase laundry, if its not in the hamper it doesn't get washed. When they ran out of clean socks they would wear my socks. Needless to say my white socks would never be the same so I started buying the most outrageous socks I could find in neon pink and purple or with hearts and butterflies or anything I thought they would not wear. It worked. I still wear outrageous socks, they are fun and I love them.

samantha13

This was one of the first things I was told when I was diagnosed. I remember how odd I thought the dsn was I'd just been given this awful news and she was harping on about socks (more so the importance of looking after my feet but the socks advice stuck out)! But it makes sense not having a seam rubbing can only help!