This 8 week 800 calorie a day thing

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@walnut_face It worked for me but it definitely isn't definitely a permanent cure. I'm the kind of person that gains weight just by looking at food but I found I got the most benefit from the diet in the first four weeks - so I think its something I'm going to have to do for four weeks at a time once every six months. I think the theory about personal fat threshold is correct, I just struggle staying that low.
@Chook I am hoping that the PFT is real. I dropped from a BMI of 27 to 22 without trying in the first 3 months of the year. I have no problems holding my weight at +/- 3lb. The evidence so far is that my PFT is below my current weight. Given the proximity of family get togethers and the mid winter eating fests, I have decided to carry on as is until late January. Then I will start an 800cal per day diet, either eating once or twice a day, an no alcohol

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@walnut_face I'm convinced its real. I did the 800 cals a day diet (incorporating low carbing) last Winter/early Spring and I can see by my BG diary that there was a complete change in readings when I got below a certain weight but then life intervened and I gained some of my lost weight back. On the way back up, the change back to higher FBG readings happened at about the same weight and my tolerance to extra carbs that I'd introduced (more fruit) then disappeared. All the while I was gaining weight I was very low carbing which keeps my BG fairly good on a daily basis but I seem really sensitive to carbs when I weigh over my PFT. I am not an expert but, by trial and a lot of error, it seems to me that has to be the weight loss to below my PFT that gives me those low FBG readings and allows me to eat more carbs without the BG swings.

An example is Sainsbury frozen black cherries - when I am over my PFT just 80g of cherries can raise my BG from 5.3 to 6.8 (which happened last weekend) but when I am under my PFT they don't have any affect on it at all.

I've just got to get back down to my PFT and then keep to a stone below it as a buffer zone in case life gets in the way again; my the best way to do that is the Cambridge/Mosley restricted calories diet with a bit of low carbing thrown in to the mix.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think thats pretty much the whole point. :) The idea is to lose as much weight as quickly as possible to get below the PFT.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Because there are not enough hours in the day. I believe a shop bought muffin requires 3 hours of walking to cancel out the calories :D

Too true!

Why not just exercise?

Not everyone can exercise - some of us (me included) have physical problems which prevent us from exercise.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not just exercise?

Mist, one has to do a massive amount of exercise to shift weight, in any meaningful amounts. As T2 diabetes, in the vast majority of cases, is improved by improving the amount and mix of foods eaten (often reducing carbs), isn't it best to start exploring that up front, rather than have to endure another learning curve once the exercise has done it's job (if the person can even do enough exercise to make that impact).

There is a eminent cardiologist, Dr Assem Malhotra, who is absolutely clear in stating, "You can't out-run a bad diet", so why not address the primary issue up-front.

And, frankly, not everyone wants to be a gym-bunny, never mind has the physical ability to put such a desire into action.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why not just exercise?
I did both. Severe calorie restriction to get below personal fat threshold. At same time intense water based exercise. The exercise was not for weight loss, but to ensure I didn't have muscle loss.
Worked for me. Even though I have other health conditions that limit the sort of exercise I am able to do.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I thought about water based exercise but was warned off it by my GP as they over chlorine my local pool and he's not sure what the reaction would be on my psoriasis.

Anyway - I'm now on day 8; I worked it out that if I do the full 8 week thing my last day will be on Boxing Day. So being a realist I've decided to finish on the day before Christmas Eve and then do three extra days on the 28th, 29th and 30th December.

So far my BGs have come down in to the 4s and 5s except for first thing in the morning when they are in the mid 6s - and I've lost 5lbs! :happy:

Is there anyone else out there doing this at the moment??

Reactions: lindisfel

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the link - yes, I'm already signed up to that website (after buying the book) but the last time I looked at it was on its first day. I will go and have another look. :)

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@walnut_face It worked for me but it definitely isn't definitely a permanent cure. I'm the kind of person that gains weight just by looking at food but I found I got the most benefit from the diet in the first four weeks - so I think its something I'm going to have to do for four weeks at a time once every six months. I think the theory about personal fat threshold is correct, I just struggle staying that low.

Snap Chook , I put some of the weight back on so I think short sharp shock every now and again might be the way to go

Reactions: Chook

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
To be honest I didn't find the 800 thing to hard to do short time .I found the trick was to plan an evening meal that looked like loads and was full of colour i.e. lots of fresh veg and a little bit of meat etc . Then divide the rest between hours during the day.
It meant being disciplined but oh I love a challenge haha

Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snap Chook , I put some of the weight back on so I think short sharp shock every now and again might be the way to go
I'm sure I gain weight just looking at food I was going to do the 8 week BS but I've been more concerned with stabilising things again after last week's horror readings. I'm going to start after the year and I also have his 5:2 book for after. I've almost starved today at 250 calories but that was thanks to Christmas shopping and decisions over a tree. Thankfully I got a boiled egg from M&S and a container of their peppered squid to munch on the move.
I'd love to hear your end results chook. I have tried some of his recipes from the books and they are pretty good.

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought about water based exercise but was warned off it by my GP as they over chlorine my local pool and he's not sure what the reaction would be on my psoriasis.

Anyway - I'm now on day 8; I worked it out that if I do the full 8 week thing my last day will be on Boxing Day. So being a realist I've decided to finish on the day before Christmas Eve and then do three extra days on the 28th, 29th and 30th December.

So far my BGs have come down in to the 4s and 5s except for first thing in the morning when they are in the mid 6s - and I've lost 5lbs! :happy:

Is there anyone else out there doing this at the moment??
I'm waiting for the book to arrive. Would like to start asap.

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
This is a brilliant diet. Good food & plenty of it. I had no problems adjusting to it. Weight dropped off straight away. I was 190 lb & dropped to 170 lb within the 8 week period. My Blood/Glucose levels had been between 5.5 & 7.5 but dropped, very early on, to between 4.4 & 6.0. I broke the diet for 2 weeks holiday - in which I ate rather a lot but only regained 5 or 6 lb; & the Blood/Glucose increased to a little above 6.0 on average. I resumed the diet & after 2 weeks, I had lost the weight again & the readings were back down to about 5.2. I have never achieved the previous readings in the 4s, however. Since then (May), I have , broadly maintained the 800 cals per day - with an occasional "heavier" day. I am fit & well with no health problems. I am very fit (gym 4 days per week, 1.5 hrs each time), plus long, fast walks 5 times per week. My weight is steady at around the 170lb mark. I intend to continue with this diet as my normal regime - with occasional excursions above 800 cals eg Christmas. I must add that my wife has been very supportive, & I think that this was a major factor in my success.

Reactions: Thyroiddiabetic

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Massive calorie deficits are a bad idea. As mentioned, it can have severe effects on your energy levels and a large portion of the weight loss can come from loss of muscle.

I would never consider eating that little as it would be pointless.

I think you are rather missing the point Torq, in T2's the Newcastle Study Diet reduces insulin resistance as it removes visceral fat from around the bodies organs and this is proven to reverse T2 diabetic symptoms in many patients, it is said to be most effective in those newly diagnosed or those who have been diagnosed less than 3 or 4 years although member here that have had T2 for longer have tried it with success.

@Jamrox Do a search of the forum for "Newcastle Study Diet" or just "Newcastle Diet"and you will find the relevant threads, there is a lot of information here. Then make up your own mind whether or not it is for you.

ps Just seen that this thread is 45 weeks old and has been resurrected, this reply was made on the first page! So this information has probably already been posted, but I shall leave my comment anyway, @Jamrox I hope you found something that worked for you :)

Last edited:

Syd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Massive calorie deficits are a bad idea. As mentioned, it can have severe effects on your energy levels and a large portion of the weight loss can come from loss of muscle.

I would never consider eating that little as it would be pointless.

majnoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm sure I gain weight just looking at food I was going to do the 8 week BS but I've been more concerned with stabilising things again after last week's horror readings. I'm going to start after the year and I also have his 5:2 book for after. I've almost starved today at 250 calories but that was thanks to Christmas shopping and decisions over a tree. Thankfully I got a boiled egg from M&S and a container of their peppered squid to munch on the move.
I'd love to hear your end results chook. I have tried some of his recipes from the books and they are pretty good.
I'm the same,look at a snicker bar and my reading would go from 6.0 to 12.0, I wear sun glasses now,lol