diabetes carb counting course

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im having a problem understanding do you have to count the carbs before i do my bedtime injection as i dont eat after 8pm at night anyway but i drink cola cola though
can anyone help me
please

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is your "bedtime injection"? I'm assuming you mean your basal insulin, if that's the case, carb counting isn't required to calculate your basal dose. Most people are on fairly consistent dosed of basal insulin, although they might change the dose of the consider it isn't working for them - I.e it's not keeping them stable overnight.

You say you don't eat carbs, but drink coke. You might want to check the carb content of the coke and check whether it has an impact on your blood sugar levels to think about whether you need to bolus for it.

Have you actually been on a carb counting course?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
im having a problem understanding do you have to count the carbs before i do my bedtime injection as i dont eat after 8pm at night anyway but i drink cola cola though
can anyone help me
please

Is it Diet Coke or regular Coke you're drinking @starbuck91 ?

Can you give a little more info about that and what insulin you mean by 'bedtime'? If you mean your basal long acting insulin, then No, you don't need to count carbs when you have that. It's purpose is to be a background insulin and keep your blood sugar level through the night and day. Your fast acting bolus insulin that you take when you eat is the one that you count carbs for.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
can anyone help me
please
Hello @starbuck91.

Although @azure and @catapillar will undoubtedly give you all the advice that you need; I'd like to offer my wee bit:)

If you haven't already got it, I'd strongly recommend the Carbs & Cals app - it's available for iOS and Android. It's fantastic for estimating the carb content of meals where you find yourself in a situation where you can't use the nutritional information on the packaging. It is however only an estimation. Weighing your food and using the nutritional information label is the only accurate way to "carb count".

http://www.carbsandcals.com/app/app

I see from your profile that you have been using insulin for around 18 months now. I would have thought that you'd have a good idea of how to carb count and also the operation of both your basal and bolus insulin? Your DSN and Dr's will be able to advise you on any issues and questions you have so it's well worth asking them as many questions as you can - they're there to help.

You may want to have a read through this book, it's very helpful with building a strong knowledge of your condition and how best to manage it. It's available for digital download (Kindle) and also hardcopy if you'd prefer. I went with the Kindle version because it's cheaper and it stays on my smartphone so is always with me:)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005XQ97FK/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It would also be good for you to re-word what you've written in your initial post as even after re-reading it - I'm not entirely sure of what you're asking...

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another useful tool to get you started with understanding when you should be counting and dosing is http://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

Also I highly recommend that you try and get your hospital to put you on a DAFNE course since that will fill out the rest of your base knowledge. It is not a complete instructions manual but it will give you a really solid base to start from while you understand how to manage your D.

/A