breast abscess

chrissieworne

Hi
Three weeks ago I had to go to A&E with a huge, very painful breast abscess t :oops: hat appeared over 6 hrs from no where. Luckily we caught it befor it needed draining but three weeks on and despite 1,000mg of antibiotic each day and steroids it still has not cleared right up. GP says it is not anything sinister and that due to diabetes healing takes longer. Has anyone else had a similar thing? just that the ab are making me feel tired and are playing havoc with my bg. :(

Thanks
Chrissie

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The infection itself and also the steroids will be affecting your bg levels.The antibiotics may as well depending on which you are on.

You may have to eat fewer carbs etc to try and keep your bg levels down so that healing will happen.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
chrissieworne said:
Thanks Sue
The antibiotic is Clarithromycin.

Chrissie

Have you been told to stop the Simvastatin while taking the Clarithromycin ? There is a possible interaction between these two drugs.

chrissieworne

Yes I was thanks, although I was aware as I always read the sheets that come with all my meds, thinks it pays to as a few moths ago (my mum is on Simvastatin) and she was put on the same antibiotic and she couldn't breathe and had awful palpatations. I found her collpased bless her, she's 84yrs old and her GP didn't tell her to stop the statin, that was disgraceful !

Chrissie

crystalyips

I've had 4 breast abscesses - all in the same place. The only way I could get any comfort was to buy a rubber ring lol.
Although it's very painful to do so I found wearing a bra helped but it was very strange wearing one in bed.
I was put on clarythromycin and I have to take steroids daily for other reasons. Even though I was on maximum dose of a/bs it wasn't until the hosp added amoxyciln and metronidazole that the abscesses started to go.
I also had to increase my insulin to keep my sugars down.
Hope it goes soon but if it doesn't considr asking your gp for a combination of a/bs

chrissieworne

Thanks
I am ok on Metro but am allergic to all penicillins so thats why I have the Clarithromycin. It has sort of come to surface now and is flat but the whole area is very very angry

Chrissie :roll: