There was temptation all around me.

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well yesterday was my last day in work due to a screw up with my holidays that I was told I had to take before the end of the year.

I was quite pleased with my self as temptation was all around me in the workshop as there were boxes of biscuits and tubs of sweets all around me that had been left by. The boss and reps. I was tempted but looked at them thinking my silent killers and no I don't want to taste you.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You be a better man than I, cause I would have had at least a couple :)

Reactions: Freema

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh you lucky s*d finishing work this early before Xmas!

Enjoy every second of it. And enjoy the food too - there is a heck of a lot of delicious stuff that we can eat which doesn't impact our blood glucose much. :D

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you!!! You will be my inspiration this holiday!!! It's hard I know but once you do it once it gets easier !! Your silent killer. I will remember those words.

Happy holidays to you. Give yourself a big pat on the back:)

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
Well yesterday was my last day in work due to a screw up with my holidays that I was told I had to take before the end of the year.

I was quite pleased with my self as temptation was all around me in the workshop as there were boxes of biscuits and tubs of sweets all around me that had been left by. The boss and reps. I was tempted but looked at them thinking my silent killers and no I don't want to taste you.
That's just so admirable and just shows what we are capable of, so well done you!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the way to do it. Resist carb creep from the start and just do your best. Every little victory makes you stronger.
It's easy for me since I'm in charge of our food. But since Xmas shopping began I've been astounded by the amount of carbs that find their way into almost every mouthful of Christmas fare. Check out the tv ads. I'm not just avoiding certain aisles in supermarkets lately, I'm trying to avoid whole supermarkets. Unfortunately our only fruit'n'veg trader upped and left recently, so there's nowhere else to go but the allotment, where spindly leeks and a few slug-ravaged celeriac sit forlornly.
Forward together ;)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I was quite pleased with my self as temptation was all around me in the workshop as there were boxes of biscuits and tubs of sweets all around me that had been left by.
Well done! I have found in the past that I do that sort of thing just to prove my doubters wrong. My MIL is the worst, always telling me that I can't not eat this, that or the other. I suppose I should thank her really, because I don't eat this, that or the other just to prove her wrong.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My work colleagues have got the message, finally, that I control my food intake, and unless I've budgeted for a treat, I will politely refuse any food going! The deal is they will offer but not pressure me.

The row that ensued with one woman who was offended because I wouldn't have any of her birthday "treats" and wailed "But, it's my birthday, you've got to. I bought in fruit especially for those who don't want cake!" had to be heard to be believed. Those who did hear it were totally incredulous and backed me up to the hilt.

I am extremely pleased with my ONE chocolate out of a team box to celebrate the end of term - and temptation in my workplace is massive. My colleagues suggested I bought some home for any chocolate eaters who may visit. Otherwise, I'll take them back to the team box and someone will have them next time..

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

You have resolve - in past years I couldn't resist the temptation and it would start with just one little piece and would often end with several pieces with high blood sugars and an extra shot of insulin required. There's a container of chocolate and vanilla fudge in my work area - It's tough walking by it without opening the lid and eating one which would likely turn in to two and then three LOL. Nice to see your post - I suspect most of us Diabetics (of any type) deal with this temptation :)

DavyG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
all vegetables except potatoes and beans
Some days it is so difficult... I haven't succumb to sweet temptation since I was diagnosed... but then my wife has been brilliant, she keeps mints in her car so I never see them and we do not have any sweets or desserts in the house. It's Christmas and yes we have sweets ready for the grandchildren but she keeps them out of sight. Which is just as well for I fear that I (like some others) do not have the strength that you have shown in resisting temptation for a long time... well done :) @Voodoorising

AFoxy74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just want to put the spin on this, though everyone doing so well, we do have insulin to 'fix' any slip in resistance. It is Christmas after all!!!! Enjoy life as much as we can!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm training myself to think "poison" every time I walk down the sweet/biscuit/cake aisles in the supermarket. It's really quite effective and I even visualise dead poisoned rats all over the food.
One of my absolute hates is slimy slugs, and if I'm really being tempted by a high carb naughty I picture slugs all over it. yukkk

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I went into my local co-op the other day and searched for something I could eat apart from meat veg and cheese products the only thing was a loaf of Burgen bread the place is stacked full of foods loaded with carbohydrates.