Type 2 Results not good

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I was on my way to post my results after my first three month checkup after joining the forum and saw this one. I just got back from my doctor's appointment-My HA1c is now in controlled range, It went from 7.5 three months ago to 7.0 with blood drawn a week ago. I lost two pounds and my kidney function has improved a little on all three measures. I'm happy. @LAR You are very close to the controlled range now and any lowering of your HA1c is good. Someone else (Robin Redbreast ) posted "Diabetes is a marathon not a sprint." Any trend that is going in the right direction is to be celebrated and encouraged. You are doing well.:)

Reactions: Energize and Freema

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I too would be interested to see what you have been eating typically and as someone has said, if the test was within the 3 months you will still have had some skewed results. Personally I refused the DESMOND course as I knew it would be the outdated information spawned by the NHS.
What struck me also is your statement that you have been following low calorie..the lush thing about LCHF (IF you are doing that) is you don't have to get too hung up on them (within reason) same with lipids, when you have had your review it may be that overall they have gone up however the "good" ones have done that and the bad gone down. I hope you will come back and let us know...though I had fab results with my first HBA1C I still suffer the "what is the point" moments (I've just had one and the guys on here as ever were FAB) so trust me when I say....someone will know the struggle and know what to say to make you feel less hopeless and alone. And it's still a reduction for sure, you will get there I am sure xxx
Thank you so much, I'm amazed at your success, and hope to emulate it one day! X

Reactions: Energize and Freema

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. We've all been thru it. It worries me that you say Low carb and Low calorie. The important thing is the low carb but you need enough proteins and fats to keep you feeling full. So think carbs and don't worry about the calories as they aren't very relevant. If you are not overweight and in fact slim then do come back with more info just in case you are nearer to T1.5 than T2.

Reactions: LAR

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When eating low carb as a 'normal' option - I know it is not seen that way by many - calorie counting is not usually part of the setup, as it doesn't seem to matter all that much. I have been low carbing for decades and can honestly say that there is something which doesn't add up when calorie counting, as when combined with low carb eating, I can eat far more calories than when trying to follow a medically approved diet plan, but at the same time lose far more weight. That had always been the plan up until the diagnosis last month.
I suspect that fasting is more likely to elevate blood glucose rather than lower it, as your liver begins to produce more glucose, so you can chase down your prey in the scenario of the hunter gatherer lifestyle in which it evolved its survival strategies.
Perhaps you need a different approach to your diet to provide a reassuringly even input of nutrients.

Reactions: LAR

MissMac

Thank you so much, I'm amazed at your success, and hope to emulate it one day! X
I was as well to be fair but it has not been easy and I have a long way too go...you WILL get there for sure..I'm still on a massive learning curve but I am also a perfectionist (that makes things harder believe it or not) and mega hard on myself...unlike a lot of people I HAVE felt mega deprived and avoided situations that may be difficult from a food aspect...so yes my results were great BUT I think if you can handle slow and sure it's better..if that makes ANY sense? lol xxx

Reactions: LAR and Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I find for me it is necessary to count calories as well as being LCHF exercise is problematic for me and also steroids tend to drive my weight up if I don't control calories as well, I cannot do it any other way. I have lost just over seven stone since I started so it seems to work for me. One size doesn't fit all so each to their own strategy.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I no longer count calories but I did in the early stages, for about 10 months. I lost a third of my body weight doing that alongside low carb and higher fat. Then I struggled to stop losing so had to increase my fat/protein calories to stop. I had no intention of increasing carbs. Once I found the right balance I stopped losing and have maintained for 2 years. I no longer need to count anything. I know from my serving sizes approximately what I need to maintain my weight and my well controlled BS.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thanks for that post @Bluetit1802 As I am at that stage now looking to stop loosing weight and maintain my weight at present level or there abouts as family and doctor recon I should not lose much more and I think they are right.

You have pointed the way.:)

Reactions: Bluetit1802 and LAR

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that post @Bluetit1802 As I am at that stage now looking to stop loosing weight and maintain my weight at present level or there abouts as family and doctor recon I should not lose much more and I think they are right.

You have pointed the way.:)

Pleased to be of help. It didn't happen overnight though. It took some time to get the right balance with the additional fats/protein and a lot of recording, but using my meter and my scales, I managed. Good luck!

Reactions: LAR and JohnEGreen

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was on my way to post my results after my first three month checkup after joining the forum and saw this one. I just got back from my doctor's appointment-My HA1c is now in controlled range, It went from 7.5 three months ago to 7.0 with blood drawn a week ago. I lost two pounds and my kidney function has improved a little on all three measures. I'm happy. @LAR You are very close to the controlled range now and any lowering of your HA1c is good. Someone else (Robin Redbreast ) posted "Diabetes is a marathon not a sprint." Any trend that is going in the right direction is to be celebrated and encouraged. You are doing well.:)
Thank you Swusa