METFORMIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

sip

Re: Metformin : How long before side effects start ?

Hey, humph. That's very interesting, because my chemist also has a new supply. The round Metformins were great, but since I've gone onto the long ones, my daily readings have gone up and my HbA1C has gone from 6.1 to 7.0

My GP thought it was possibly stress or anxiety but I reckon that it may well be the new tablets.

I'm going to have to see both my GP and my pharmacist.

andyl

metformin side effects

just had a review with nurse and blood sugars level 6.00 which she said was very good but getting stomach upset is this normal some days are better than others also am on theslow release metformin :(

deb1

Re: metformin side effects

from what ive been reading asking and been told yes stomach upsets are common gut these tend to go soon enough . hope this helps

sue32

Dislikes
false people

I had to stop taking Metformin cos as soon as it hit my stomach it would immediately come back up again. I tried taking it before food, with food, after food. I tried breaking it up, crushing it, taking all forms and strengths of it - all to no avail. In the end I asked for the syrup form only to be told that it's usually only prescribed to terminally ill patients (!) and that my local health authority would question why it was being prescribed to me because of the cost. So I refused point blank to take it - and I'm fine now. Some people have problems with Metformin, some don't.

banjo brunette

andyl said:
sometimes am ok others am rushing to the loo :(

I was like that when I started taking metformin, then things improved after a couple of weeks. Now only very occasionally does my tummy go haywire (and couldn't possibly tell you what sets it off - just has funny collywobbly days :( ) I've been taking 2 grammes a day for about three years now and moved to taking the slow release ones each evening a couple of years ago - not for digestive reasons but because I had to report to my GP that when I took the lunchtime dose at work, I couldn't remember if I'd taken them or not. I don't think 'senior moments' are a formal side-effect though :wink:
Andy, I don't know haw long you've been taking the metformin but i would certainly persevere for at least a month, then maybe have a word with your GP if things don't settle. What do other people think?
Cheers, BB :D

andyl

been taking them for over a year now and on the slow release as well not sure what to do for best

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Metformin side effects

Hey al not been on for a while , had quite a reaction to the Metformin so not been on line that much.
Been getting very very bad headaches with flashing lights in my eyes, stomache upsets, being sick and very cold all the time.

Been taken off the tablets in the last couple of days and starting to feel slightly better.
Appears i might be one of the few that are maybe allergic to them.

So I've been told to stay off them and booked in with my doc for two weeks time.

helen315

I was diagnosed with Diabetes last August, the doctor put me on Metformin 750mg, i lasted less than a week and had to phone in sick to work because I was running to the loo..

The doctor took me of this and put me on Actos, this blew me up like a balloon and I put on 2 stone in a short period of time,

I have now been put back on Metformin on the 500mg this time, and i have been having 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening, i have been relatively ok and my underlying blood results have been 8.1 although my daily sugar levels are between 11 & 12, because of this he has told me to increase the tablets to 4 a day, I started this on Monday, and since then I have been running to the toilet again.

What I am looking to know is, will this settle down at all, or am I going to have to get this changed again?? I am not on the slow release tablets..

Any advice appreciated

limpinlil

Diagnosed Christmas Eve. put on Metformin, was so ill. Never left toilet all Christmas and new year. Doc changed me to Actos. Blew up with water and migrains returned like a bomb going off.Put back onto Metformin...ill again..Doc put me on Gliclizide and Rosoglitazone...the day before I went to Africa. Was fine except for a couple of shaky fits.Was told blood tests were too high and I will be put on Insulin if the next blood test is no different. Glucose tests are around 4.2. Been told NOT to do own testing as it has nothing to do with daily life or me !!!!!Complained of feeling shaky and dizzy at times but told not to worry ???Do any of the tabs work???? Were can I find help to understand all this ....why can I not loose weight....Why can I not sleep....HOW DO YOU ALL KNOW SO MUCH. where do you find the answers H E L P :oops: :roll:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

Here is the advice we usually give to newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics.This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different .

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating then two hours after eating you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

As a Type 2 the latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.
If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do 30 minutes moderate exercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous

See if there is anything here that is of use to you, above all keep testing !!

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)

Well I dont know if I now have a bug - but I feel terrible again very bad stomach ache an aural migrane again with a nice little headache to go with it.
Its 1:30am and I cant sleep and I have a performance review at 9am in the morning - great hey.

Pinnig

I also had blinding headached with metformin. Doc switched me to the SR version and the headache went away. Unfortunately I also had a rash with both versions and appear to be allergic to it. Now on Actos but only been taking it for 6 weeks or so. Haven't seen any improvement in my BG levels but I have dreadfully swollen fingers and weight gain.

Wouldn't it be marvellous if the drug companies came up with something that did the job efficiently and effectively without all the side effects!

triliaeris

Metformin - not diabetic

I've been put on Metformin 500mg twice a day for now, for something other than diabetes.

I knew the symptoms going into it, and feel it is worth the GI upset...but is there ANYTHING I can eat that won't make me sick???? The first day was the worst, but since that, it's just been serious nausea anytime I go more than about two hours without eating. Currently it seems the only thing that I can even think of eating is fruit.

Is there a diet that will help with the symptoms or do I just wait this out and hope it improves? Thanks all.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Re: Metformin - not diabetic

You might find with PCOS, the slow release metformin will not only be easier on your digestive system, but also work with better results.

Metformin can upset the natural gut enzimes so you might find something like a daily Actimel could help.
On the indigestion/nausea side, try some ginger based foods and see if that helps... also try little and often rather than standard meals.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Good tips there! Try the low sugar Yakult.

The dood News is Most people do adapt to Metformin and its a safe medicine.
Hana

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

Hobs said:
You might find with PCOS, the slow release metformin will not only be easier on your digestive system, but also work with better results.

The member does not mention what the Metformin is for Hobs, you may well be correct, but perhaps it is for some other reason. At this time, there are several off-label metformin uses, including the treatment of gestational diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and HIV lipodystrophy.

Maybe the OP can confirm what it is prescribed for, this might help us here with any further repsonses.

Janieb

Dislikes

Well I wont be going on that then.
I have loads of weight to loose dont want to put any on.