Abbott sensor

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,im type 1 and have been for 40 years.Im very insulin sensitive and my levels swing from horrendously low to high on a daily basis.
Today i had a Freestyle libre reader,with a sensor attached to my arm.Its only day one for me but i was wondering if anyone else has experience of these.Not funded by nhs yet sadly.
Thanks,Vanessa.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
there are lots of threads on the freestyle libre. Just do a search and they will come up. You can then post anything etra you discover or need help with

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have one and I love it. It helps me feel human again

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use one too. It is not perfect yet and you can't use it for testing before driving. But it is fantastic at identifying trends and dead handy for quickly checking BG. I love mine and it has really help me to improve control. I hope that you get on well with it.

monski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use one too. It is not perfect yet and you can't use it for testing before driving. But it is fantastic at identifying trends and dead handy for quickly checking BG. I love mine and it has really help me to improve control. I hope that you get on well with it.
Why can't it be used before driving?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @monski
it has not been approved by DVLA for use as a testing device before driving -Only blood testing meters are approved for this function.

Abbott are trying to get approval as we speak -- so it may become a reality in the future.

Hi @nessals946
The Libre is fab for finding trends in blood glucose patterns -- I am wearing 1 for the Christmas period as eating can get a bit erratic.
It has helped me to avoid the majority of my hypos too.

monski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @monski
it has not been approved by DVLA for use as a testing device before driving -Only blood testing meters are approved for this function.

Abbott are trying to get approval as we speak -- so it may become a reality in the future.

Thanks for that. it's amazing that the DVLA have that much power.
Not being funny but I don't remember seeing any DVLA Approved stickers or text on my other machines etc.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i understand what you mean -- but ultimately as type 1's we do take a medication that has the power to render us incapable of controlling a motor vehicle , and as such the DVLA should have a say so in how we control ourselves to be safe to the rest of the public ( this is said a tiny bit tongue in cheek with all the drink and drug users out there )

monski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies for hijacking a thread and yes I agree about the medication it just annoys me exactly as you've said.
We "kinda"volunteer the info about us, yet get penalised when we try and help ourselves.
Aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhh.
Go pick on someone who isn't trying their best to be controlled. ( not jus diabetics)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
totally agree @monski
we put ourselves in the firing line every time we re-apply for our licence ( and everytime we get behind the wheel too )
hopefully the abbott sensor will become a positive aide to our arsenal of tools for driving !!!!

Reactions: monski

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding is that the DVLA do not accept the sensor device yet there is insufficient evidence on accuracy. This was also the advice given on the DAFNE course I attended a couple of weeks ago as well. Certainly the first 24 hours after applying the sensor, the readings can be erratic. I always use a finger prick test before driving to ensure that I am safe to drive and if in a accident, that my insurance is not invalidated (regardless of fault). However you can use the freestyle neo blood glucose strip with the monitor part of the libre, which is acceptible to the DVLA, so that saves having to carry 2 monitors around.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies for hijacking a thread and yes I agree about the medication it just annoys me exactly as you've said.
We "kinda"volunteer the info about us, yet get penalised when we try and help ourselves.
Aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhh.
Go pick on someone who isn't trying their best to be controlled. ( not jus diabetics)
I understand your frustration, especially if you are a well controlled and responsible driver. However it is law that all drivers have to declare insulin use or any condition/illness that impairs our ability to drive. We as diabetics are not being singled out for unfair treatment (I know some have had battles with the DVLA - please don't message bomb me), although abit of common sense on nighttime hypos would be welcome. I have seen the flip side of this. My oldest friend was very nearly killed 3 years ago in an horrific smash on the M62. The driver who hit her car (and many more) was doing in excess of 110mph. He claimed he was having a hypo, if he was he should not have been driving!!!!. If his hypo awareness was so bad, he had the legal responsibility to declare himself unfit to drive. He did not. He should not have been driving. My friend spent 2 months in intensvie care and has undergone 3 years of surgery and will have a life time of being disabled. The man to hit her walked away from the accident and escaped prosecution. Maybe he used his diabetes as an excuse to escape a dangerous driving charge, maybe he was genuinely ill (he should not have been driving!!!!!!). Whatever.....I will never complain about the extra checks we have to undergo. Keeping your driving licence and the freedom it give is a good motivator for maintaining your health and diabetes control. Sorry if I'm ranting and preaching, I just wanted to present a different view.

Reactions: tigger

Rickster55446

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all :) I've been using the libre for just under two months now and I really don't think I could carry on without it! It is a fantastic device which has really helped me to better control my levels and more importantly to see what is happening when I'm asleep. It identified that I go below 3.0mmol at around 3am every night which I was unaware of before I started using it. I had some problems at first as I kept on getting sensor errors sometimes for a couple of hours where I could not get a reading, However Abbot replaced all my faulty sensors free of charge. A little bit of help and advice from people on this forum and I have not had any problems with it since :) I was advised by someone on here to apply the sensor 24-48 hours before activating it so thats now what I do. no more sensor errors :) Also I was told to keep well hydrated so I drink lots of water. I have less fear of hypos since using the libre and I like to play around a bit with it and see how different things affect my glucose levels because, of course knowledge is power!! I would recommend this to any diabetic and especially to parents of children who are diabetic.

On the subject of driving, I do a finger prick test before I drive to make sure I'm within DVLA guidelines but also scan the sensor while driving for peace of mind.

So a big thumbs up from me. Yes It's a bit expensive and I struggle to find the £50ish every 2 weeks but I just think a little bit more before I spend money on things I don't really need! I have a money jar which I put all the change from my pockets in at night and so far It covers the cost so would recommend the jar to others :)

Happy scanning!

Rickster55446

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand your frustration, especially if you are a well controlled and responsible driver. However it is law that all drivers have to declare insulin use or any condition/illness that impairs our ability to drive. We as diabetics are not being singled out for unfair treatment (I know some have had battles with the DVLA - please don't message bomb me), although abit of common sense on nighttime hypos would be welcome. I have seen the flip side of this. My oldest friend was very nearly killed 3 years ago in an horrific smash on the M62. The driver who hit her car (and many more) was doing in excess of 110mph. He claimed he was having a hypo, if he was he should not have been driving!!!!. If his hypo awareness was so bad, he had the legal responsibility to declare himself unfit to drive. He did not. He should not have been driving. My friend spent 2 months in intensvie care and has undergone 3 years of surgery and will have a life time of being disabled. The man to hit her walked away from the accident and escaped prosecution. Maybe he used his diabetes as an excuse to escape a dangerous driving charge, maybe he was genuinely ill (he should not have been driving!!!!!!). Whatever.....I will never complain about the extra checks we have to undergo. Keeping your driving licence and the freedom it give is a good motivator for maintaining your health and diabetes control. Sorry if I'm ranting and preaching, I just wanted to present a different view.
Agreed

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Hi I also was privileged to receive the Abbott Freestyle Libre. I have to say that after only 6 hours it was stating that it required a new sensor. However to the credit of Abbott I telephoned them to tell the tale and they replaced the sensor. My replacement sensor has worked well but I'm in a quandary as to whether to continue with this system. At times it's quite accurate but there are other times where readings are so say out. For me it's the expense also and the fact that there doesn't appear to be any easy way of it alarming when levels get dangerously low which is a personal issue I have.