Pasta and Italians

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate pasta with a vengeance and always have, but I love Italian restaurants. I usually have a steak with mushrooms. In the old days I had chips, I might now have a salad and half a dozen chips. (I can cope easily with that amount). There is plenty to pick at the menus.

Reactions: Johnjoe13
A

asparagusp

Italian food need not be carb heavy

antipasti misto ( cured meats , olives , artichokes )
insalata mista ( mixed salad )
fiori di zucchini ( courgette flowers )
Insalata caprese ( buffalo mozzarella and tomato )
bistecca ( beef steak ) alla fiorentina is preferred ( T Bone )
zuppa minnestone ( vegetable soup )
cipolle e tonno ( tuna and onions )
carabaccia ( cabbage soup )
formaggi ( cheeses )
frutta di stagione ( fruits of the season )

as advised earlier in this thread -- phone ahead and ask what options they can offer -- they will want your custom.

buon appetito !!
Not in Bella Italia! lol

Anyway here's another suggestion. A compromise price wise, nice relaxed interiors and started by an Italian Chef - Carluccio's - http://www.carluccios.com/menus ,

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Tip - Italians squeeze lemon juice on their chicken, maybe steak too.
totally true @asparagusp
Lombatina di Vitello ( veal T bone steak ) is always served with lemon and best extra virgin olive oil
Molto bello !!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@bulkbiker you know the old saying.... "It ain't over till the lady falsetto knocks out the last tune vocally." (Choosing my words empathically in this case regarding Italian opera.) ;)

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try my fitness pal. On there will be maybe not all but most restuarant nutritional info. If you look at the menu beforehand and search my fitness pal or google it will tell you nutritional info. The app fat secret has a list of the majority of chain restuarants with nutritional info. Hope it helps.

Reactions: himtoo

phila

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat chocolate, bread & cakes
My clinic says it's ok to have a treat once in a while otherwise it is hard to stick to a healthy diet. Consider this meal out as your treat. If I don't eat before I go to bed my bloods are higher in the morning than if I have had a treat like a meal out. It's a long road so take it handy.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I like the sound of this from the menu. Would have olives too from the nibbles menu and carry some emergency nuts in my handbag. Enjoy your night out, OP :)

Insalata Verde
Avocado, green beans, peas, cucumber, mixed leaves & spring onion with salsa verde & pumpkin seeds

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bella do Vegetti!! (If they've not sold out) which you can have we any of their sauces

A

asparagusp

Insalata Verde
Avocado, green beans, peas, cucumber, mixed leaves & spring onion with salsa verde & pumpkin seeds
My experience of Insalata Verde in Italy is Iceberg lettuce which has no taste, corn which I hate, grated carrot which I also hate and cherry tomatoes and olives which I adore!

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

My experience of Insalata Verde in Italy is Iceberg lettuce which has no taste, corn which I hare, grated carrot which I also hate and cherry tomatoes and olives which I adore!
This one sounds much nicer. I hope it is anyway. I went to an Italian-style chain recently, Zizzi, and had a salad that was off-the-chart tasty. "Tenderstem broccoli on cannellini beans, courgette ribbons & mixed leaves tossed in super green pesto with balsamic tomatoes, radish, watercress & toasted omega seeds." Not sure how authentic Italian it was, but I loved it! :hungry: