took fast acting instead of basal!

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
UGH! I just took 16 units of humalog instead of my lantus!

I have had lots of carbs for breakfast! A mini tin of coke, 2 pieces of toast with marmalade and a bowl of muesli! What can I expect to happen? I woke up with blood sugar at 10, and it is going down slowly at the moment - it is now 6.9. I guess it is taking a few minutes for the food to digest! What else should I do? I am supposed to be going out in about 30 minutes. Will that be OK?

OH, and should I take my basal as well?

Thanks for your help!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @linda321 yikes what a pain, I feel for you, as it takes 2-4 hours for humalog to peak you will need to do some regular testing, are you going shopping ? As long as take some glucose and keep testing every 20-30 minutes you should be able to see what's going on and if necessary take evasive action, doing exercise like shopping is a tricky one as you'll burn through glucose quicker, so try and take it easy for the next few hours if you can, easy mistake to make when your mind is preoccupied, take care ;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry I should of added that you would need to take your basal, but as I said if shopping then I would perhaps delay taking it until you are back home again, just depends on what you are up to, just wait a couple of hours though to see what happens to your BG levels.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep an eye on it, might need to top yourself up with dextrose! At least you did it in the morning and not before bed!!

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @leking and @Juicyj. I have a libre so able to keep an eye on it. I am back home now so will take it easy - well as much as I can on Christmas Eve! Of all the days to make that mistake!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
UGH! I just took 16 units of humalog instead of my lantus!

I have had lots of carbs for breakfast! A mini tin of coke, 2 pieces of toast with marmalade and a bowl of muesli! What can I expect to happen? I woke up with blood sugar at 10, and it is going down slowly at the moment - it is now 6.9. I guess it is taking a few minutes for the food to digest! What else should I do? I am supposed to be going out in about 30 minutes. Will that be OK?

OH, and should I take my basal as well?

Thanks for your help!
Hi Linda,

Question for you. Do you use "disposable pens"? If so are they similar...?
Never used disposables myself. However my Lantus cartridges fit in a Clik-Star pen & my Novorapid in a distinctive (you guessed.) Novo pen..

Though to be fair. I've grabbed the wrong pen on an outing in the old days, when all these pens looked the same.. :banghead:

All one can do is test & carry the "emergencies" thrice fold the weight just incase!

Reactions: Juicyj

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds to me like you handled it really well, I know that sick feeling in stomach when you realise what you've done! Hope it sells down and you have a great Christmas. :)