Part Time Metformin for Christmas?

anna_fran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm a fairly recently diagnosed T2. I have been treating my condition by diet alone to date(LCHF). My BS readings are usually between 5-6. I was just wondering if anyone has taken their meds ( I have Metformin, it was prescribed when I was first diagnosed) on a temporary basis, just to carry them over Christmas for example. I am worried about the effect on my BS over the next couple of days, I had a small chunk of French bread last night, I was tired and it's a busy time of year my blood sugar shot up to 8.6, the highest reading I've ever had. I have no intention of stuffing sweets and mince pies but I will eat a couple of roast potatoes and some bread over the next couple of days. What do you think?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You could try - but I don't think the metformin will have got in to your system that quickly. As I understand it (which might be wrong) you may see some effect within two days but to get the full effect you'd need to start taking it 4-5 days ago. As I said, I might be wrong and it may work faster for you. We are all different.

You might find that the additional carbs will make you feel exhausted and irritable - this is what happens to me when I over-indulge.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I should have mentioned, I recently read on this forum that metformin's main effect is to reduce liver dumps and it doesn't counteract a carb rich diet.

(Sorry whoever originally wrote this - I just can't remember where I read it to put a link to it.)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try - but I don't think the metformin will have got in to your system that quickly. As I understand it (which might be wrong) you may see some effect within two days but to get the full effect you'd need to start taking it 4-5 days ago. As I said, I might be wrong and it may work faster for you. We are all different.

You might find that the additional carbs will make you feel exhausted and irritable - this is what happens to me when I over-indulge.
That might be a good thing to have that effect as it stops you eating anything to carby. Trouble with me is even if I have gone a bit to high if I have been naughty with the carbs I never feel bad in any way I always feel perfectly alright so the temptation will be there to have a few more carbs at Christmas but I will not indulge to much

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi, I'm a fairly recently diagnosed T2. I have been treating my condition by diet alone to date(LCHF). My BS readings are usually between 5-6. I was just wondering if anyone has taken their meds ( I have Metformin, it was prescribed when I was first diagnosed) on a temporary basis, just to carry them over Christmas for example. I am worried about the effect on my BS over the next couple of days, I had a small chunk of French bread last night, I was tired and it's a busy time of year my blood sugar shot up to 8.6, the highest reading I've ever had. I have no intention of stuffing sweets and mince pies but I will eat a couple of roast potatoes and some bread over the next couple of days. What do you think?

I can only give a generalised answer, because we will all react differently to the carbs we eat. I'm still trying to work out how my BG jumped to 16 when I had only eaten chicken, courgette, tomato, peppers, mushrooms and onion. At least it dropped to below 8 within the hour.

If you are taking Metformin, try and take it continuously because there is an accumulative effect from what I have read. That's why missing one isn't the end of the world, but maybe several is not such a good idea. At the end of the day your meter is going to tell you exactly what effect anything to eat is having on your BG. Have a good one.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Metformin works on the liver rather than the pancreas. It is an appetite suppressant and helps reduce the amount of natural glucose your liver produces and sends to the bloodstream when it thinks your body needs it. (fasting, starvation, stress, illness, pain, injury etc) What it doesn't do is reduce post meal spikes following carbs. It isn't a miracle cure. Diet is the key.

Also you may be one of those that Metformin causes stomach upsets to, and do you want to risk that at the moment?

I'm on diet only and very well controlled with around 30g carbs a day. Over Christmas my carbs go up and my meter gets locked away at those times. No point in me testing post meals as these are one-offs. By the way, 8.6 after a chunk of French bread isn't the end of the world, and not at all bad considering - as long as this is not your regular diet. :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I can say what I am doing which is to have accepted a "Hero Hoilday" challenge on Christmas day (this is a Fitbit step challenge against others). Yes I know this is mad but to win I will have to walk between 12 and 15 miles - needless to say most of this will be post dinner.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one should be telling you whether to take your medication or not, only your doctor should be discussing this with you.

But a normal BG reading is worth looking at, here.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Personally I would say no-one, not even your doctor, should be telling you to take medication. It is completely up to you.
A doctor may be able to advise to the best of their, possibly limited, ability but the final decision should always be down to the patient.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Just avoid the carbs and avoid the need for meds.. you are doing really well so why screw it up for some **** that you probably won't enjoy eating anyway?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Personally I would say no-one, not even your doctor, should be telling you to take medication. It is completely up to you.
A doctor may be able to advise to the best of their, possibly limited, ability but the final decision should always be down to the patient.

Just avoid the carbs and avoid the need for meds.. you are doing really well so why screw it up for some **** that you probably won't enjoy eating anyway?
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

11. Important: Members are generally not Health Care Professionals, and those who are participate on the Forum as Members, not Health Care Professionals. Members are unable to diagnose any condition, or instruct in the alteration of medication, irrespective of personal or professional standing or experience

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

11. Important: Members are generally not Health Care Professionals, and those who are participate on the Forum as Members, not Health Care Professionals. Members are unable to diagnose any condition, or instruct in the alteration of medication, irrespective of personal or professional standing or experience

Dear @douglas99 the OP is not taking any medication.. as for my opinions on doctors I don't think that they break the rule which you are so ardently protecting.. merry xmas by the way x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please can we stop this bickering. It's unnecessary.

All members need to be careful about giving advice, and need to respect others dietary choices.

Further altercations or rudeness may lead to thread bans.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Please can we stop this bickering. It's unnecessary.

All members need to be careful about giving advice, and need to respect others dietary choices.

Further altercations or rudeness may lead to thread bans.

My apologies to you, it was simply as the op had said in their first post

'I have Metformin, it was prescribed when I was first diagnosed'

Once again, I would suggest @admin clarify the rules for the site if it seems to be seen as bickering in the context above.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My apologies to you, it was simply as the op had said in their first post

'I have Metformin, it was prescribed when I was first diagnosed'

Once again, I would suggest @admin clarify the rules for the site if it seems to be seen as bickering in the context above.

No problem @douglas99 Threads can turn bad-tempered quickly, and ill-feelings are the last thing we need at Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you all :)

Ange G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aside of any possible upset in this thread, I have found it really interesting to learn that metformin works more on the liver. I have low carbed and fasted, following bulkbiker with my own diabetes. (How do you insert @ bulkbiker ?) Anyway, low carb has improved my BG readings and after fasting i have even been able to eat a little bread without the spikes that I was getting. Alas my morning readings are out of my control and it worries me. I wonder if I took metformin at bedtime I might wake up without the early morning sweats and a lower reading. I am currently trying to control my diabetes without meds, with my doctors backing and support.Any thoughts or comments? I would also like to wish everyone on this forum a peaceful, happy holiday and best health wishes for the future.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Aside of any possible upset in this thread, I have found it really interesting to learn that metformin works more on the liver. I have low carbed and fasted, following bulkbiker with my own diabetes. (How do you insert @ bulkbiker ?) Anyway, low carb has improved my BG readings and after fasting i have even been able to eat a little bread without the spikes that I was getting. Alas my morning readings are out of my control and it worries me. I wonder if I took metformin at bedtime I might wake up without the early morning sweats and a lower reading. I am currently trying to control my diabetes without meds, with my doctors backing and support.Any thoughts or comments? I would also like to wish everyone on this forum a peaceful, happy holiday and best health wishes for the future.

I simply followed my doctor's advice, took the meds initially, followed my dietitian's advice, exercised hard, lost 5 stone overall, discussed my meds with my doctor at every stage, then decided between us, even though I had reversed my diabetes, and got all my BG, BMI, morning BG's, everything back into a normal range, to stay on minimum metformin.
I eat a mediterranean diet, but will be having a good christmas, and eating maybe a bit (a lot!) to excess without worrying.
But, that's me, and I believe diet, meds, BMI, exercise, lifestyle is all linked, and all important to beating diabetes, and everyone needs to find their way to have a really enjoyable christmas, and I hope we all do!

Ange G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, I too will have a little treat at Christmas, I think I will grunt horribly when I taste my first roast potato in months, and I won't care if I upset anyone else around the table because I have earned it ..... gone without , eliminated carbs ... all potatoes for months and have my BP under control, with no spikes when I eat. And then my morning readings let me down. I don't know how to control my liver when it dumps some time in the early hours, why won't it just cooperate and help me in my quest.... But no, it has its own agenda. I am due to see doctor in January and I am going to ask about metformin at bed time only and see his take on my unwilling liver. Once I get my morning bloods steady I can control the rest of the day if it is as simple as that

QUOTE="douglas99, post: 1339030, member: 38028"]I simply followed my doctor's advice, took the meds initially, followed my dietitian's advice, exercised hard, lost 5 stone overall, discussed my meds with my doctor at every stage, then decided between us, even though I had reversed my diabetes, and got all my BG, BMI, morning BG's, everything back into a normal range, to stay on minimum metformin.
I eat a mediterranean diet, but will be having a good christmas, and eating maybe a bit (a lot!) to excess without worrying.
But, that's me, and I believe diet, meds, BMI, exercise, lifestyle is all linked, and all important to beating diabetes, and everyone needs to find their way to have a really enjoyable christmas, and I hope we all do![/QUOTE]

Ange G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just re-read your post and wow, what a journey you have made. Omg, what an amazing life change, weight loss, attitude to health you have achieved. Inspiration, comes to mind!!! I committed 100% in trying to control this diabetic affliction without meds, lost 2.5 stone with a stone to go, but I think I may need a little help too. Well done and wishing you the very best wishes for good health and happiness in your future, you are all ready a winner with your achievements. :happy:

Reactions: douglas99

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have just re-read your post and wow, what a journey you have made. Omg, what an amazing life change, weight loss, attitude to health you have achieved. Inspiration, comes to mind!!! I committed 100% in trying to control this diabetic affliction without meds, lost 2.5 stone with a stone to go, but I think I may need a little help too. Well done and wishing you the very best wishes for good health and happiness in your future, you are all ready a winner with your achievements. :happy:

Thanks.
The doctor did try to take me off metformin at the last review, after a few years of 'normal' figures but metformin seems to have other documented beneficial effects, so I resisted that without any disagreement from them.