Testing

Whitelinen64

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Been reading a lot on here and it's really helped me. I was worried sick initially but I've settled down a bit now. Due to just having Prediabetes I've scanned the Internet looking for the cheapest monitor, lancets and test strips and came upon a company from China. I buy the monitor( code free) 50 lancets and 100 test strips for £12.50. There's English instructions and it all comes in a zipped bag.
I started testing about 2 months ago and it's went from being in the 7's down to 5.5 I'm recording all my food intake and doing quite well on low carbs.
What's your thoughts on the meter etc ?
Probably if I was diagnosed as diabetic I'd go buy something from UK but until late then I'll keep using the cheap version. I go for another fasting blood test on 4th Jan. ....will be interesting to see what it reveals.....thanks for listening and a very Merry Christmas x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the name of your monitor? :)

I have the SD Codefree, which is comparable price, but (I think) based in the UK.
Supplier is Homehealth, I believe.

I agree that with pre-diabetes you wouldn't see significant benefits from spending big bucks.

As a T2 myself, no meds, I am looking for trends, and an easy way to determine problem foods, so precision and consistency are less important than for an insulin user (though still important, of course). I still value quality, but so long as my sensor meets the required industry standards, I am looking for good value as a part of the deal.

Edited to add: actually, I haven't got a clue which part of the world makes the SD Codefree - could be anywhere! Who cares? It works :D

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Whitelinen64, you'll find that lots of people here use the SD Codefree, me included, one of the main reasons being that the test strips are the cheapest. Up to now I had just asssumed that the unit was UK made, but on reflection, I suspect that the majority of computer chip technology stuff is based in Asia. The back of my meter says it is a trademark of SD Biosensor, with an address in the Republic of Korea. (needed a magnifying glass to read it ) Maybe they have several production outlets ?? As they are quite a lot cheaper than others, I'd imagine that lots of people go for it, resulting in a large call for the monitors and ongoing lancets / test strips, etc., and not just in the UK. :)

Whitelinen64

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't a clue what the name of the monitor is....it's in Chinese...lol I just feel I've got a deal in comparison to what other people are paying for the whole set. This forum has helped me a great deal. I feel so much more confident about everything but still got lots to learn.
Thank you for your comments x

Sent from my SM-J320FN using DCUK Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvia