Low Carb Xmassy Deliciousness

Pat_C

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Years to you all! Being a retired soul I have hours of free time and I am going to try many, most or all of these marvelous looking recipes. I may have to wait until next Christmas to report lol.
Pat
Sitting in my sun room watching the sun rise.:)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Fantastic, have book marked the truffles and mud cake.... how could you not wanna eat those?!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick note to say that I have made quite a few of these recipes now, and gone back to my original post and added comments. So far, they have all been great.

The only abject failure was my Low Carb Vanilla Mug Cake with Mincemeat idea.
That was a disaster.

I used this recipe

First attempt was very fluffy and I could barely find my measely little teasp of mincemeat, plus it overflowed the mug, so the next time I made it without the protein powder, and with half the baking powder. And with a BIG tablespoon of mincemeat:

That was more successful.
Shared it with Mr B on Xmas Eve when he got in from work, and we both pronounced it a great success.

Raw batter:

Cooked in mug (the brown speckles are real vanilla seeds):

Turned out of mug:

HOWEVER, Even the half portion of mincemeat I ate was enough to spike my bg and then dump me into a nasty hypo at 3am (the Libre says I slept through a reading of 1.9mmol/l).
Felt pretty rough the next morning, after a night of horrible dreams and night-sweats.
So I am afraid I won't be trying that again!

Mind you, if you aren't prone to hypos, and are willing to experience a ?small? spike, I suppose it is still a better option than real mince pies, which have carbs in the pastry as well as the mincemeat...

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also will be making Ewelina's cranberry & cream cheese cake for Boxing Day dessert http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/ if anyone has cranberries left over that they need to use up :)
Just to say that this was really delicious:hungry: Didn't test effect on BS levels yesterday but there is plenty left over to experiment with on this matter over the next few days. Think it would also be great with other berries if cranberries not your thing.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick note to say that I have made quite a few of these recipes now, and gone back to my original post and added comments. So far, they have all been great.

The only abject failure was my Low Carb Vanilla Mug Cake with Mincemeat idea.
That was a disaster.

I used this recipe

First attempt was very fluffy and I could barely find my measely little teasp of mincemeat, plus it overflowed the mug, so the next time I made it without the protein powder, and with half the baking powder. And with a BIG tablespoon of mincemeat:

That was more successful.
Shared it with Mr B on Xmas Eve when he got in from work, and we both pronounced it a great success.

Raw batter:

Cooked in mug (the brown speckles are real vanilla seeds):

Turned out of mug:

HOWEVER, Even the half portion of mincemeat I ate was enough to spike my bg and then dump me into a nasty hypo at 3am (the Libre says I slept through a reading of 1.9mmol/l).
Felt pretty rough the next morning, after a night of horrible dreams and night-sweats.
So I am afraid I won't be trying that again!

Mind you, if you aren't prone to hypos, and are willing to experience a ?small? spike, I suppose it is still a better option than real mince pies, which have carbs in the pastry as well as the mincemeat...
Wonder if you could use a spoonful of homemade lemon curd in the middle instead of the mincemeat? Would be a bit like a lemon steamed sponge pudding.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder if you could use a spoonful of homemade lemon curd in the middle instead of the mincemeat? Would be a bit like a lemon steamed sponge pudding.

Ooooer! The possibilities are endless, aren't they?
Mug cakes are often (approx) a steamed pudding texture, so anything that would go in one could go in a mug cake as a molten centre... and LC lemoncurd, or chia jam, or even my xmas LC cranberry sauce (made extra sweet) would work. Something else I have tried was to push a square of dark choc into the mug cake when it came out of the microwave. 2 mins later, when you find it with your spoon, it is melted and gooey, rather like one of those trendy fondant cakes from last year. Oh yeah.

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
‪@najialjohani ‬.. dose low carb cookie recipes .. good for my condition?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems like a good time to bump this thread... since we are just a month from the 2020 festivities.

Those chocolate truffles look fab. They may have to be tested before the festive season!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this thread- I've been avoiding thinking about Christmas as it seemed too hard. We have some traditional favourites that I've had every Christmas for over 50 years- but never again. I was feeling very low but some of these sound really nice

Thanks all- It has really helped.

D

Deleted member 308541

It will be a toss up whether we have Queensland or West Australian seafood and crustaceans this year, as we have not made our mind up what to do or where to go.

It will all be low carb goodness of the above mentioned food plus steak and ham, bacon eggs etc. with salads,

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So looking forward to Christmas this year, gathering with family. We do the traditional pork, and chicken roasts, with accompanying vegetables, which I will be eating my normal cauliflower, green beans and a bit of broccoli. But I have found this great cheesecake recipe that I can make, because I can't eat the traditional Christmas fruit pudding. Will be using reduced fat sour cream and reduced fat cream cheese to lower the calories, and either pure monkfruit of stevia powder as the sweetener as I don't use sugar alcohols, they upset my stomach. I think the lemon cheesecake would be great after a roast meat meal, refreshing and will go well with a nice cup of tea. https://sugarfreelondoner.com/low-c...tzHX_KCRHGlMUBJzh0rrJqsREKSJby7QHvJx0Y97gZIbQ

Reactions: Brunneria