Metformin - should it change how I feel?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you take Metformin is there some change you can feel?

Other than a distinct sense of foreboding and a decision not to leave the house for some time, that is.

Reactions: Freema
D

Deleted member 308541

Never had any troubles whether that was the scours, upset guts or dread / despair at all when I started on Metformin.

It was just another part of my medication that I take every day, some of which are more scary to take such as Xarelto.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
right now I am wondering if the metformin I take do raise the lower number of my blood pressure, it used to be about 70-80 but since taking metformin , that also made me have to go to the toilet 2-3 times every night, since then my lowest blood presure has been raise to about 95 ... and that I think is worrying, when I have lost 52 Pounds now and also am doing a lot of excercise... most people get a better blood presure from loosing weight and doing sports...

I know most people do not have to go to the toilet so much because metformin, but there are others that have experienced it I have found searching the web...

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
right now I am wondering if the metformin I tke do raise the lower number of my blood pressure, it used to be about 70-80 but since taking metformin , that also made me have to go to the toilet 2-3 times every night, since then my lowest blood presure has been raise to about 95 ... and that I think is worrying, when I have lost 52 Pounds now and also am doing a lot of excercise... most people get a better blood presure from loosing weight and doing sports...

I know most people do not have to go to the toilet so much because metformin, but there are others that have experoenced it I have found searching the web...

Many people experience improved BP when they get their diabetes under control, and/or, trim up a bit. The harsh reality is though that diabetes is not the only thing that can influence hypertension. Influencing factors can be anything from stress, other conditions or even plain old unfortunate genetic/familial factors. If your BP is higher than ideal, it makes sense to do whatever you can to bring it into line. Whilst it might not be ideal, in terms of preferences, that could involve medication, whether for the shorter or longer term.

Is your BP elevate all the time now, or is it "sometimes"? Have you plans in place to discuss it with your Doc?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people experience improved BP when they get their diabetes under control, and/or, trim up a bit. The harsh reality is though that diabetes is not the only thing that can influence hypertension. Influencing factors can be anything from stress, other conditions or even plain old unfortunate genetic/familial factors. If your BP is higher than ideal, it makes sense to do whatever you can to bring it into line. Whilst it might not be ideal, in terms of preferences, that could involve medication, whether for the shorter or longer term.

Is your BP elevate all the time now, or is it "sometimes"? Have you plans in place to discuss it with your Doc?

my blood pressure has always been very good like 117/70 up till 130/80 , but after starting on metformin it has been like 135/95 every time it has been measured... And I have been wondering why the lowest has been so high ever since I have lost a lot of my overweights and am doing so much fitness.... not even when having an untreated diabetes and being extremely obese did I have a raised blood pressure...

I have thought that it was maybe due to a lack of potassium... but every doctor I talk to say it can not be that, and actually I think it would be the higher number being affected by too low potassium.... so... well then I remembered that metformin did in fact affect my kidneys making them work very hard even in the night, and thought yes that must be the cause...

If I get my numbers even lower than now, and think I can do only on very low carb, then I´ll find out.. but till now I don´t dare stop my metformin yet..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood pressure is up - it is usually about 120/70 and just now it was 135/74. I will test it again tomorrow.

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
right now I am wondering if the metformin I take do raise the lower number of my blood pressure, it used to be about 70-80 but since taking metformin , that also made me have to go to the toilet 2-3 times every night, since then my lowest blood presure has been raise to about 95 ... and that I think is worrying, when I have lost 52 Pounds now and also am doing a lot of excercise... most people get a better blood presure from loosing weight and doing sports...

I know most people do not have to go to the toilet so much because metformin, but there are others that have experoenced it I have found searching the web...
Well done on your weight loss. I can't take Metformin in any of it's forms from the standard to the slow release. The diarrhea wouldn't clear up and I was scared it would cause damage to something else. I've been on Linagliptin and that's been okay, certainly no toilet issues with it.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your weight loss. I can't take Metformin in any of it's forms from the standard to the slow release. The diarrhea wouldn't clear up and I was scared it would cause damage to something else. I've been on Linagliptin and that's been okay, certainly no toilet issues with it.

thanks yea I lso had diarrhea the first 14 days , but not as bad as most tell here in the forum, besides I was used to a rather loose stomach also before that... but that went away, but the anoying new habbit of going to the toilet many times every night didn´t diaeaper again... , this night I have been up 4 times.... :hungover::shifty::sour::confused: so I had to sleep longer to be able to do what I have to do today, where I think i´ll be bussy untill I go to sleep , just take a Little rest now for a cup of coffee, before continuing my Work here...
I one doesn´t think of the connection to metformin, the first thought at the GP would be that the raised blood pressure is simply due to diabetes... which it also commenly could be as that problem allso is a common thing diabtetics type 2 has to fight with...
but in my case my diabtes has become better right form the start and at the same time the lower number has raised in my blood pressure, so I am pretty sure it is not caused by cardiovaskular worsening from diabetes....:pompous:

Babdicoot

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you take Metformin is there some change you can feel?

Other than a distinct sense of foreboding and a decision not to leave the house for some time, that is.

When I first started on metformin
My concentration went out the window , almost lost my job ,
My mood was low and high some days ,
I've taken myself off them 4weeks ago
And the difference in my moods are unreal , I feel like my life is better but my bg is so high now

Reactions: Freema

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but my bg is so high now

Consider reducing your carbs intake...
http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/11/13/low-carb-for-diabetes/
rsz_world_diabetes_day_ir_small.jpg

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taking only one or two tablets each week for the last couple of weeks, but my blood glucose levels are dropping as I am eating low carb. I have run out of strips for the meter, but the diabetes advisor gave me some strips to test urine, which have not shown any reaction at all.
It seems that there are many different reactions to diabetes treatments, and people have different reactions to the carbs they eat too.