Novopen Echo question

ChrisM28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone had any issues with the pens showing a different number on the display when checking to what was injected?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No... are you sure you havent primed, airshot the needle and forgot the actual jab or done injection accidentaly on another injection?

ChrisM28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No... are you sure you havent primed, airshot the needle and forgot the actual jab or done injection accidentaly on another injection?
It's happened twice, two different pens. The first my daughter watched my husband dial in 6 and inject, when I checked the pen later to get the time of the injection it was showing 8.5. Second time he primed on 2 then injected 2.5 and it was showing 5. Will be watching like a hawk from now on!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's happened twice, two different pens. The first my daughter watched my husband dial in 6 and inject, when I checked the pen later to get the time of the injection it was showing 8.5. Second time he primed on 2 then injected 2.5 and it was showing 5. Will be watching like a hawk from now on!!

Change the pens as they are obviously faulty and need reporting, to report them use the MHRA Yellow Card Scheme:

https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

Reactions: Dodo and azure

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Crikey.....have you got spares? Report using the MHRA system and I would also tell Novo Nordisk too.

I actually never look at the top displays... (well, actually once since using them).. I will definitely be checking now.

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
you need to give the manufacturers a ring. The novopen echo's are guaranteed or have a warranty for 3 years. if they are playing up i'm sure they would like to know, to exclude any manufacturing issues or design faults which could have caused this.. Plus they will replace them with new ones for you.

Reactions: ChrisM28

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
you need to give the manufacturers a ring. The novopen echo's are guaranteed or have a warranty for 3 years. if they are playing up i'm sure they would like to know, to exclude any manufacturing issues or design faults which could have caused this.. Plus they will replace them with new ones for you.

Its 5 years providing they were started before the 2nd bottom date on the boxes.. they don't worry any way. When I said I was using my spare pen that was started after the date of 10/2016 and what would happen?? They didn't have answers for me but just said if there were probs that they would swap anyway. They said that pen was still usable even when the battery life went. It was separate to the actual dosing spiral mechanism...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Omg.....

After having my basal pen break couple weeks ago and now seeing this post. I checked my bolus pen tonight (just now) after a 3.5 dose. It read - - , so I am assuming the battery has died inside. It is certainly within 3 years since starting it... the -- is an error that the dose memory has not registered the last injection. Contact supplier if it occurs again.

The outer box states 5 year function (not guarantee-got that wrong!) for the dose memory but inside on the leaflet it says 3 year for the guarantee.

Reactions: ChrisM28

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi! When you got this message - - on the display did you have to do the injection again or did the insulin still go in even though the display didn't register it?
This happened to me tonight and I'm unsure if I need to re inject or not!!

Xx

Omg.....

After having my basal pen break couple weeks ago and now seeing this post. I checked my bolus pen tonight (just now) after a 3.5 dose. It read - - , so I am assuming the battery has died inside. It is certainly within 3 years since starting it... the -- is an error that the dose memory has not registered the last injection. Contact supplier if it occurs again.

The outer box states 5 year function (not guarantee-got that wrong!) for the dose memory but inside on the leaflet it says 3 year for the guarantee.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! When you got this message - - on the display did you have to do the injection again or did the insulin still go in even though the display didn't register it?
This happened to me tonight and I'm unsure if I need to re inject or not!!

Xx
No, you should not re-inject.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I cant remember!!

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I always worry that the insulin would not have gone in, but I assume this is wrong? X
It happened to me a few times too. Definitely no need to re-inject. It is just a fault of the display. Annoying....

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It happened to me a few times too. Definitely no need to re-inject. It is just a fault of the display. Annoying....

Very annoying! It makes me doubt myself and puts me on edge! Glad I'm not the only one who's had this problem!!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So in the UK you keep the same pen, just insert new cartridge with insulin? Here in US they are all single use disposables. 300 units/pen. I wonder why you keep using them over again, it's the insulin that costs the money not the pen.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So in the UK you keep the same pen, just insert new cartridge with insulin? Here in US they are all single use disposables. 300 units/pen. I wonder why you keep using them over again, it's the insulin that costs the money not the pen.
We also have the one use disposable pens. The reason I got a Novopen Echo was for the ability to deliver 1/2 units. It also has a dose memory which works for a few years from first use and will tell you the quantity of the last dose delivered and how many hours ago it was taken.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Actually the disposable pens are more expensive here, not by much mind, besides you don't get the features on a disposable pen that you would get on a pen like the Echo (half unit dosage, memory function).

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

They sell Novopen Echos here in the US. I use them for my Novolog and have two of them bought from my local Walgreens. They retail for $70 each without insurance.

Of note: the vials in the 1 time use flexpens are exactly the same. I've taken on apart (Levemir and Novolog) and they fit inside a Novopen Echo.