chocolate

bedshaped2000

i was milling around asda this weekend trying to look for a cheaper alternative to the 90% cocoa lindt chocalate and bingo. Granted it is stated its cooking chocolate but it is sweeter than the lindt and this is the good bit 50p for a 120g bar. carbs are 20.6g per 100 and after testing it gave the same results as the lindt as in a minimal bg level rise. is this ok to eat because at 50p a bar i feel a ten pound note leaving my wallet. i also did not receive a upset stomach or laxative affect. is this ok to eat ? or am i really ment to cook with it?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I don't wish to appear argumentative here, but I fail to see the sense or logic in someone with diabetes continuing to eat chocolate.

Surely it's like an alcoholic just having a "wee drink" now and then.

Or am I missing something? :?

bedshaped2000

actually ive found that a couple of squares in the evening helps low readings in the morning cos it slowly releases. with diabetes you dont have to go without just have self control and low portion sizes

A

Anonymous

I think you are missing the point here. The dark chocolate has only 20.6g per 100g bar. The bar weighs 120g. Therefore if you decide to eat 20g of it, a 1/6th of it then that is only 4.12g carbs......nothing really. Would have a negligible effect on blood glucose levels and satisfies the appetite for a bit of chocolate.
Some of us are able to eat things we like because we count the carbs and measure the results. Makes the diet so much more interesting when we don't have to avoid evrything we really like. As I think most people here say, everything in moderation. Nothing is banned to some dieters, so long as you are careful.
A glass or two of red wine and spirits are ok as well. Always in moderation though.

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
It does appear to be argumentative and quite upsetting. Diabetes is not the same as alcoholism and as stated, it gave not much of a rise. These little treats once in a while are the things that help us stay happy. A couple of chunks I'm sure are fine and I'm glad to glad to hear it wasn't laxative like! We have to eat to live and it's personal choice what each person eats. If your not low carbing then a bit of chocolate is no worse than pasta, bread or potato.

C

catherinecherub

An alcoholic has to abstain forever to be cured. He/she will always be an alcoholic and can never say, "I was an alcoholic".
I can choose to eat a small amount of chocolate and will not become dependant on it. It is a treat and is acceptable for any diabetic.

jopar

If you tested its effect, and BG are stable it’s not sending you off at a fast pace to the loo, then who are we to say ‘no you can’t you’ll diabetic’

Ardbeg
Sorry mate you have missed something...

Not everybody has to or chose to be a martyr to diabetes...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The darker the chocolate the lesser the carbs. Really good dark choc you can only eat a little at a time anyway.

We are not addicts just well moderated diabetic eaters.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As to the original question.
I think I'd look at the ingredients If the chocolate contains fats other than cocoa butter. It might contain more harmful saturated fats rather than the stearic acid in cocoa butter which doesn't increase LDL. It could possibly include partially hydrogenated fats ( trans fats.)

As to abstaining from it because we're diabetic, why? You might be doing yourself some good!
Lots of studies have suggested health benefits of small amounts of dark chocolate. It's been linked to serotinin release which makes you feel good; depression is common with diabetes . It may lower blood pressure. Some studies have shown it to improve blood flow. One study even suggested it increased insulin sensitivity. The most recent shows a benefit for people with liver disease. I also know of an ongoing study into CVD prevention where one group is eating a prescribed couple of squares of dark chocolate a day.
Sounds good, and a quick Google will probably find more possible health benefits. (To be honest, the studies aren't that brilliant as it is difficult to isolate one element of the diet but there are certainly a number of possible positives :D )

The biggest drawback is that all choc is relatively high in calories so a lot of it might put on weight. Luckily, most people can't eat huge amounts of dark chocolate.

If dark choc makes someone feel good, isn’t going to cause an obvious problem and they are not eating huge amounts of it why on earth not?
Quality if life is important.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have never been a fan of chocolate, then I became a diabetic and suddenly I got very fond of it, they say once something is forbidden you crave it! I asked my DN about treats and she said to buy 70%+ chocolate and have a couple of squares now and again, now I eat it as a treat and have no effects at all, my BG levels remain in the zone after eating 2 squares, which is about 6-7, I have found most chocolate above 70% is fine, but mistakingly I bought one that was 60% and saw my BG levels increase to over 10, so it goes to prove the more purer the chocolate the better it is for you. In fact I feel happy after having a treat. I have tried 90% cocoa chocolate, although bitter it wasn't too bad. I have experimented with chocolate and I am now making chocolate sauces and using sweeteners for making chocolate mousses.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I did start by saying I don't want to be argumentative. I said that because I know from first hand experience how easily some of you "take offence" on this forum.

I had a big problem with chocolate. I was a chocaholic; no bull that is a fact.

I don't know for certain that it was a contributing factor to my T2 diagnosis, but I suspect it was. I am now 100% "cured" of my chocolate cravings; in a similar way I guess that some of you have been able to stop smoking since your diagnosis.

I couldn't have " a square ir two" because my will power would be crushed and I'd go back to eating 1 or 2 family sized bars of Dairy Milk,Galaxy, Whole nut or fruit and nut per day.

If some of you can take just a square or two a day, then good for you. I couldn't and I suspect I'm not alone either.

Fortunately for me, when it comes to alcohol I can take it or leave it. I now chose to take it (red wine or whisky mainly) in moderation. I know alcoholics cannot, but thankfully I am only diabetic not a diabetic alcoholic!!!

A

Anonymous

Ardbeg.
I see you have seen the error of your ways. :wink: I suppose not everybody has the willpower so yes, I understand where you were coming from. As for people on here 'taking offence', I haven't seen that. Everybody on this forum is so helpful and supportive. I think here we just wanted to explain that chocolate isn't banned for all diabetic's. Seems there were more than a few who were around at the time. You can come out of the shelter now. :lol:

dragongirl

Green and Black's 85% for me. I couldn't eat more than 20th of the bar at once anyway and that's 1g carb. Never affects me and I do so love dk choc. But you have to suck it to savour it at its best. If you chewed it up you might combust spontaneously! I've given up baked beans and peanut butter. I have to have something!
DG

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Eating chocolate releases endorphins :D - and I hate to think of them being imprisoned! :lol: :roll:

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ardbeg said:
I did start by saying I don't want to be argumentative. I said that because I know from first hand experience how easily some of you "take offence" on this forum.

I had a big problem with chocolate. I was a chocaholic; no bull that is a fact.

I don't know for certain that it was a contributing factor to my T2 diagnosis, but I suspect it was. I am now 100% "cured" of my chocolate cravings; in a similar way I guess that some of you have been able to stop smoking since your diagnosis.

I couldn't have " a square ir two" because my will power would be crushed and I'd go back to eating 1 or 2 family sized bars of Dairy Milk,Galaxy, Whole nut or fruit and nut per day.

If some of you can take just a square or two a day, then good for you. I couldn't and I suspect I'm not alone either.

Fortunately for me, when it comes to alcohol I can take it or leave it. I now chose to take it (red wine or whisky mainly) in moderation. I know alcoholics cannot, but thankfully I am only diabetic not a diabetic alcoholic!!!

I commend you for giving up something you so dearly loved, like I gave up smoking and drinking alcohol, I now have a passion for chocolate, a little of what you like won't do you much harm, that's my motto. I haven't seen any animosity on this forum with regards to speaking your mind, I say if you have a thought it's always good to share.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
catherinecherub said:
Hi Ardberg,

Have a read of this and see what you think about addiction to chocolate.

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/CHOCOLATE/eat_health.html

Trouble is, you can always find evidence of whatever it is you want to prove, or indeed misprove now on the internet.

I can only speak for myself and not others. In my case I was totally addicted to chocolate and would go to almost any lengths to get my chocolate "fix". My family will confirm that, believe me.

It almost certainly was a major contributing factor to my obesity and I struggled with my weight all through my adult life. That in turn is almost certainly a major factor in me being T2 today.

So, if some of you want to indulge yourselves in a square or two now and then, knock yourselves out.

Me? I've already consumed enough of the **** stuff to last me several life times. :evil:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
kay957 said:
I haven't seen any animosity on this forum with regards to speaking your mind, I say if you have a thought it's always good to share.

This forum is on the whole very well mannered; almost certainly because it is well (and strictly) moderated. I've contributed to others that are not moderated at all and they always decend into chaos.

I wasn't suggesting animosity, more like people who are passionate about something can, without intending to or realising it can become.........well how can I put it without digging a deeper hole for myself here................. a bit anal.

I'll get my coat :twisted: