Type 1: I admit defeat, I can't cope anymore!!

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
So I know I haven't been on the forum for a very long time but it's because my diabetes management has been going very well recently.
So 2 weeks back my diabetes behaved itself so well that 1 hour after meal my blood sugars were 5.0 and didn't go low my ratio was so good and I thought I'd finally beaten this disease but....
starting about 2 weeks ago the insulin just seems to have stoped working!!
All of a sudden I was having post meal spikes of 15.0 on the same ratio!!
I've been so depressed over Christmas and I can't cope with this anymore after 2 weeks of hell!!!

So for the past 2 months I haven't seen a sugar above 8.0 and all of a sudden now above 8.0 is always to be expected!!

My carbohydrate ratio as 1:20 now it's 1:3!!
And despite it being 1:3 I still get post meal even after 2 hours of 10.0!!
Correction don't really work and last night I got so mad that I injected intravenously (which I know is very dangerous)
My sugar dropped to 0.9 now most people would find that scary but to me it was the best thing to happen to me in 2 weeks!!!

This morning I thought I would brave 2 puce she of toast and I injected 20 units for them but right now my blood sugar is 9.0!!!
I have an appointment coming up and my excellent hba1c of 5.1% is going to be up because of this stupid 2 weeks.

I can't handle these numbers they are emotionalllg killing me, I've changed my lantus up to 25 units at night still no change.
My cartridges of insulin I've changed then many times but still no change.

There is no point contacting my DSN because she always just puts it off and get never seem to listen!!

I want lows I'm going to keep myself in permanent state of lows over the next few days to conteract it !!!

This disease is ruining my life and I sometimes feel as if I can't go on!!
Please just some support and help and kind words would be wonderful just to make me feel that little bit better.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @james122 - ok firstly well done you know it's possible now to live with this condition and manage it.

Don't beat yourself up though your mindset to your condition needs to change if you are to live well with this. Having high blood glucose levels could mean stress, infection or that your cartridge needs to be changed so look to rule out these possibilities first.

Living with type 1 requires you to be adaptable so to look at changes and approach them with flexibility to manage your doses, getting stressed will affect your bg levels so you will end up in a vicious circle.

You don't have anything to prove to any nurse or doctor but to yourself so try not to be so harsh on yourself James - this is a blip and you will get through it. Be proud that you have done so well ;)

Last edited:

heli2010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
whilst Im not on isulin I too have been plagued with high numbers over christmas I have put this down to stress as my nutrition has been no different and I believe my high numbers have compounded the stress
but I saw a bumper sticker today
"Live the life you love Love the life you live"
dunno just got me to think how good life can be

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi James122. Please dont fret. This disease can be a monster! Ive been suffering some low mood too with it. Every single one of us have had times like youre going through and you just seem to pull through it...nothing else for it.
Juicyj is totally right, highs can be caused by literally anything and even you getting sad or angry can raise your bgs. Its time now to relax because this disease isnt going away. Its not about beating the disease...its about managing it so you can live a relatively comfortable life. You can only do your best. My advice is to implement some self care for a few days. What relaxes you? Go do it!! You are doing very well and you obv care about your health and that will carry you through. You are most certainly not alone xxxx

Reactions: Juicyj and azure

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sending you a man hug.. I am T2 so cannot offer any advice, apart from things do happen for reasons, just we don't know what the reason is at the time.
Stay strong .. hope something good is coming your way, to make this bad time seem worth it :)

Reactions: Type1asem

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@james122 Dont let it get to you. That's what diabetes does - throw random **** at you every so often. We can't control that, but we can control how we react to it. Don't take it personally. There's not a Type 1 in the whole world who has perfect sugars all the time.

The stress/change of routine of the holidays could be the cause, or cold weather, or less exercise, etc, etc See if you can identify any possible reason.

You say you've changed your insulin - that's good. Don't be afraid to get a whole new batch if you think it's mot working. Also, think about where you're injecting in case there are absorption issues.

It's not your fault. You'd be surprised how small things can mess with your sugars.

Type 1 management is an ongoing process. It's a pain and even then it can still catch you out. Don't dwell on it. Keep going - you're doing so well. This is just an annoying little blip.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning I thought I would brave 2 puce she of toast and I injected 20 units for them but right now my blood sugar is 9.0!!!
I have an appointment coming up and my excellent hba1c of 5.1% is going to be up because of this stupid 2 weeks.

I'm not sure a post prandial reading of 9 really requires three exclamation points @james122 , it's a perfectly acceptable post meal reading.

Are you a straight A student James? I ask because you seem more concerned with your hba1c level than with the reality of living with type or with the reality of the risks facing you. Right now the biggest risk you are facing is your own behaviour in injecting intravenously and determining that you want to run low which carries risks of: 1) dying; 2) waking up with severe brain damage; 3) seriously injuring yourself while fitting hypo.

Apparently you are willing to run these risks just in order to get a "good" hba1c result? You can't get an a star at being diabetic, there is no such thing. There are no perfect diabetics. And if there were, hba1c would be a rubbish way to find them.

The best thing you can do for you and your diabetic management is learn how to manage it so it fits in with your life ok. You might want to look at basal testing or pre bolusing to combat the highs - it could just be the stress and unusual food of Christmas causing the recent highs. Or you might be coming down with something.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi James,
as you have found out diabetes can be very frustrating :( So you need to put your thinking cap on............... I notice you are increasing your bolus have you actually looked at your basal as in done any basal testing to see if that's your problem? I wouldn't mind betting you need to increase your basal rather than your bolus.

Edited to add, I see you haven't been diagnosed that long so there's a good chance your honeymoon period has come to an end hence the need for extra insulin.

Last edited:

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I had this problem before and started to get worried as my ratios were so low. The solution I found was to change by basal rate which I'm not sure if you've done? I had to notch up the levemir by a few units but it did the job and brought everything under control.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please would ypu consider doing some basal testing?

This is one of the first things to do when things go t*ts up!!

First off.. you've changed your insulin... but have you checked the temperature inside your fridge? I know as I had a faulty fridge one and he created havoc.

If your fridge and insulin ok..

Then you need to do a few basal tests. Christmas days have now passed. There are a few days until New Year.

I think you may just be experiencing holiday highs.. more food, more leisure etc. I used to double my rates for everything for the whole of December to Jan 6th!!

Please dont fret about your hba1c. That is not worth much in real terms... its just an indication whether you are liable to be experiencing more highs or lows....

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Hi James I can Tell a Doc I am going to be ill in two or three Days, When they say "Rubbish" I say I have an INBUILT
Path-Lab My Sugar Goes UP two to three Days in advance?
After the first Twenty years we all say (ole its Diabetes) After 41 years it is!
Also (it seems????) If you looking forward to a break, a Holiday, Christmas,a weekend
You are ILL "THE DAY BEFORE" Don't ask I don't know why? It has been suggested
that we all work very hard to get clear for the "Break" Then OUR bodies Switch OFF may be it does?
With an Infection we only get the standard amount of Drugs "yet" we take twice or three times longer to cure?
The American Pump Book Says you may have to adjust your insulin and pump every 6 months "Or More"?
I was told you don't measure all the Carb, You don't weigh the Bread????
I still have To DO it.
Also you can always try "Not Hanging On Quite so Tight Then compare Results.

All the Best INSULINMAN still on a pump
ps what I missed out the one thing you don't do GIVE-up

Reactions: Type1asem

orac1952

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
stupid people, bad manners,
Hi James can I ask where you have been injecting your insulin.

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
It seems to of calmed down today thanks still in 7s and 8s which I consider high but better than before @Lynz84