Skin problems and rashes in T2

375lindyloo

I am T2 and I have started having skin problems-a rash which affects my eyelids, sides of mouth, behind and in both ears. The only way I can describe it is like baby eczema. I have tried several ointments both from the doctor and over the counter without much success. Has anyone else had anything similar and found anything that helps. I am thinking of buying a bell!

Susiebabs

I had itchy eyes for a while and blamed the metformin - it settled down but I also took an anti histamine to help with the itching and the doc prescribed 1% hydrocortisone (to be very carefully applied on the itchy eyelids for a few days only) to break the itch/scratch cycle.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

375lindyloo

Was the anti histamine a tablet prescribed by your doc or can you buy over the counter! I have only been given ointment by my doc. Thanks for reply-I am at my wits end with this. I am diet only and can't blame it on the medication.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
How are your BG levels. Higher blood sugar makes your skin dry out.

Susiebabs

Just over the counter initially then docs prescribed when it worked - Tesco did a non drowsy anti histamine for about £1 for two weeks supply and that did the trick.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AlisonSarah

I've really been suffering with dry skin on my eyelids, under my eyebrows and on my forehead. I was diagnosed T2 last week and the skin thing was actually the final push that sent me to the doctor's. I've tried hydrocortisone but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm getting really frustrated because it looks such a mess. I know it's the least of my problems right now but I really like to wear makeup and I haven't been able to because of this problem. Consequently my self-esteem has taken a bit of a bashing too. I'm really fed up so I can completely understand how you're feeling. Hope you get it sorted out soon :(

Suzieblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the same problem in that I look as if someone has thrown scalding water into my face.... I'm T2 and I'm on Metformin and Sitagliptin, I've tried different creams prescribed by the Doctor plus antihistamins and have found the only thing that works is to stop the medication, not an ideal solution though but the itching is driving me nuts. I know I shouldn't but until I speak to my GP, I don't know what else to do