type 1s with insulin resistance anyone

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey just wanted to see if there any other type 1s here who find that they are insulin resistance and do they find that insulin doesn't always work for them?. im having these problem and find sugar levels are stubborn and dont want to move even after correction and sometimes the insulin works properly lol. just want to know if there anyone else experiencing a similar problem?.

Reactions: samantha13

samantha13

Hi there! I was diagnosed 6.5 years ago with type 1. Shortly after this I was diagnosed with depression (related to infertility but the type 1 played a part too I'm sure). I was abusing myself through binge eating, injecting vast amounts of insulin and not looking after myself at all. I gained 3 stone very quickly (which I'm still trying to lose). I was then diagnosed last Jan with insulin resistance. Was told this is also called double diabetes. I was started on 500mg metformin alongside my insulin. I take it twice a day but to be honest it hasn't made any difference. I'm back at the clinic soon and think they may increase it. I'm taking a good amount of insulin but still my numbers would be quite high. This past month I've started walking and reducing my carb intake (moderate) and found its helped more.

Last edited:

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey just wanted to see if there any other type 1s here who find that they are insulin resistance and do they find that insulin doesn't always work for them?. im having these problem and find sugar levels are stubborn and dont want to move even after correction and sometimes the insulin works properly lol. just want to know if there anyone else experiencing a similar problem?.
Have you checked your basal? if its off it can make your bolus look ineffective.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
last time i checked basal it seemed fine i did a check at night it was 6 somthing then 12hours later after i woke up it was like 6.9 but i dont know could i still need to increase basal insulin?.

Last edited:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
last time i checked bolous it seemed fine i did a check at night it was 6 somthing then 12hours later after i woke up it was like 6.9 but i dont know could i still need to increase basal insulin?.

Are you talking about basal testing (you said you checked bolus then went on to talk about you overnight readings, which is usually more down to your long actin/basal insulin)?

Here's some information on how to do a basal test:- https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep. I'm type 1 and stubbornly insulin resistant, suffer from extreme dawn phenomenon and yes also overweight. I find my insulin resistent is very different at different points during the day. I have just been on a dafne course and the DSNs were great in helping me to work out appropriate ratios (despite them being outsdie the rules of dafne - common sense prevaled). My breakfast ratio is 5U:10g carb, lunch is 1.5u:10g and dinner 2U:10g carb. My correction doses are also different during the day. In the morning I expect 1U to drop me 1 point, whereas at other times 1U will drop me 2-3 points. I have also found that if I am correcting for very high BG (i.e. >13mmol) I need even more insulin and if a large dose (i.e. more that 13 units) I split it over 2 injection sites. If you can focus for a week on your levels and try to calculate the right basal and bolus ratios, it may well help you too. I also take 4x 500mg metformin and I am trying Victoza (which has leveled out my spikes and improved insulin sensitivity). These are some of the coping mechanisms I have tried, with average control results. Ultimately I will probably move onto a pump to counteract the crazy dawn rise. Hope this helps...insulin resistence is not an easy thing to cope with.