phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ardberg,
Don't get your coat!
Most of us aren't really talking about the same thing. There is no comparison between Dairy Milk or Galaxy and 70%+ chocolate.
The largest ingredient in those products is not cocoa but milk (dairy milk) or sugar (galaxy).They only contain 20-25% cocoa, and far less if they also contain fruit and nuts.
In much of Europe, they're not considered to be chocolate and have to be labelled differently.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/678141.stm

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found that Hotel Chocolat (speciality chocolate shop) has more products than just buying 70% chocolate, they also sell reduced sugar and 85% chocolate bars which in my estimation are the best, they are a little expensive but a little goes a long way.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
kay957 said:
they are a little expensive but a little goes a long way.

That's quite correct, a little does go a long way! I buy the Aldi 85% dark chocolate and it lasts for the whole week (well sometimes :wink: ).

Nigel

iHs

Thanks to Nigel's post a while ago I got a friend to get me some of the Mosser Roth 85% choccie in Aldi.

It's quite nice and about 5gms of carb per small bar so thanks Nigel :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
iHs said:
Thanks to Nigel's post a while ago I got a friend to get me some of the Mosser Roth 85% choccie in Aldi.

It's quite nice and about 5gms of carb per small bar so thanks Nigel :D

Pleased you like it iHs! :D

Nigel

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lidl do a good 85% chocolate that comes in small bars, you get 5 bars for 99p so that's good value. I have been known to eat a little more than I should, but a treat now and again is fine. :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
kay957 said:
Lidl do a good 85% chocolate that comes in small bars, you get 5 bars for 99p so that's good value. I have been known to eat a little more than I should, but a treat now and again is fine. :D

I have tried the Lidl version and it is very nice! :D

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lidl's dark chocolae is excellent and under a £1 per bar. And I have found a few blocks of High cocoa solids chocolate in the 99p shop on occasion. Differen brands, but all recognisable.
Hana

dragongirl

I would never ever use my choccy treat to supply 5g of carbs. For that proportion of my daily carbs, I'd want some filling food! But each to their own, especially if they have some medication to counteract the 5g. I guess that's a different train track to my own. But I could try a little of the lidl bars I suppose :D because G&B is quite expensive.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I often have a couple of squares of Lindt 85% dark choc after diner and today I went to Sainsburys and bought their own label 85% for a change as it was only 95p for a 125g bar.

At 125g its a little bigger than the Lindt bar but it is divided up into 5 small 25g bars each a little larger than two squares of Lindt, each small bar contains 4.8g of carbs, not bad eh?

I tried a piece when I got home and I think I prefer the Lindt but there wasn't much in it and considering it is 57p cheaper and a bigger bar its pretty good value IMHO
thumbsup.gif

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Yep, I've bought Sainsbury's Own label 70% choc too. I've also bought their own brand sugar fee choc too. I know it contains Sorbitol, but if you only have 2 squares it's OK. I've used it to make some choccy oaty fruity flapjacks. My own recipe, I might add. :D Just threw some things together in a bowl and, hey presto!! I'm on the GL food regime, and I find I', just a little constipated :oops: despite eating plenty of veg and drinking plenty of water. So the effects of a little Sorbitol don't really bother me. I quite agree though - just because we have diabetes why should we deny ourselves anything. I was once told that a diabetics diet is one of the healthiest going (!?)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
If you are type 1, you are able to enjoy chocolate as little or as often as a non diabetic (the health factors are your own choice!) so for me, there is absolutely no reason why I can't enjoy chocolate as and when I see fit. Since having my pump plumbed in, I do tend to eat a much lower carb food plan so have been interested to sample the dark chocolate from Aldi's which was recommended on this very forum! No reason whatsoever why I, as a type 1 diabetic, can't enjoy it :D having said that, I don't indulge every day as I like to be able to fit into my jeans 8)