Hello from Canada

Canadian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I am new here. I found this forum through a post on line about medical marahuana. This is legal here and it sounds like recreational will be too eventually.
I was diagnosed type 2 almost 12 years ago and have had my ups and downs. Have been on an America. Forum and found some help there. Thought it would be great to learn how you in the U.K treat your conditions and types of food you like to eat that are helpful.
I am long retired and so is my husband. We are 73 and 83 years old. Still live in our own house. Use to live in the country but moved into a small city 14 years ago. Decided that was a mistake shortly but have to live with our decision. Too old to start over again.
We have three married children, two married grandchildren and one great grandchild with another to arrive end of May.
We both have relatives in England. Some of our family immigrated here and strangely enough my husbands relatives and some of mine came from the same area. County of Kent. Some from London and area and have distant relatives in Birmingham. Many have passed away of course.

I am taking 2500 mg of Metformin, gliclazide and have been on NPH 12 units for about six years. Will be stopping the NPH and switching to Lantus soon, starting at 10 and working up as necessary. A1C has gone up to 8 last time so I have to improve the diet and exercise for sure.

Looking forward to being part of your forum as I slowly figure out how to navigate it.

Elaine

Hotpepper20000

Hi! I am new here. I found this forum through a post on line about medical marahuana. This is legal here and it sounds like recreational will be too eventually.
I was diagnosed type 2 almost 12 years ago and have had my ups and downs. Have been on an America. Forum and found some help there. Thought it would be great to learn how you in the U.K treat your conditions and types of food you like to eat that are helpful.
I am long retired and so is my husband. We are 73 and 83 years old. Still live in our own house. Use to live in the country but moved into a small city 14 years ago. Decided that was a mistake shortly but have to live with our decision. Too old to start over again.
We have three married children, two married grandchildren and one great grandchild with another to arrive end of May.
We both have relatives in England. Some of our family immigrated here and strangely enough my husbands relatives and some of mine came from the same area. County of Kent. Some from London and area and have distant relatives in Birmingham. Many have passed away of course.

I am taking 2500 mg of Metformin, gliclazide and have been on NPH 12 units for about six years. Will be stopping the NPH and switching to Lantus soon, starting at 10 and working up as necessary. A1C has gone up to 8 last time so I have to improve the diet and exercise for sure.

Looking forward to being part of your forum as I slowly figure out how to navigate it.

Elaine
Welcome. I too am from the great white north. There are a few of us here.

Canadian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome. I too am from the great white north. There are a few of us here.

Nice to meet you. Great White North for sure. We are in Alberta and hubby just shovelled and snowblowed again today as we had a little break in the temperature today.
Lots of fun!

Hotpepper20000

Nice to meet you. Great White North for sure. We are in Alberta and hubby just shovelled and snowblowed again today as we had a little break in the temperature today.
Lots of fun!
Ha yes we are in Alberta as well. We don't have a snow blower but finished shovelling yesterday. Enjoyed the afternoon at the Banff Hot springs.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome. I am on the BC coast and even we are getting snow this year. Hope you had a great christmas. :D

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey and welcome here Canadian
this is a great place to be informed of what actually works for people

one thing made me wonder in your informations 2500mg metformin? isn´t that a lot, as I have read the label in my metformin 2000mg a day is the absolute maksimum .... but maybe it is not obviusly...

if you haven´t tried very low carbing, then that is an effective way to get ones numbers down for most people...(not needing insuline)

Last edited:
Reactions: Keesha

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Welcome and may I say you are never too old, and thank goodness and Canadanfor the brilliant Dr Jason Fung.

I eat berries, yogurt, seeds, avocados, meat, fish, lots of vegetables, herbal teas, bell peppers, nuts, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, salad. Occasional full English (minus beans) and general low carb meals.

Reactions: Keesha and Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

Canadian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hey and welcome here Canadian
this is a great plae t be to beinformed of what actually Works for people

one thing made me Wonder in your informations 2500mg metformin? isn´´t that a lot, as I have read the label in my metformin 2000mg a day is the absolute maksimum .... but maybe it is not obviusly...

if you haven´t tried very low carbing, then that is an effective way to get ones numbers Down for most people...(not needing insuline)
Yes, here where I am they say 2500 (500 x 5) is the maximum. My nurse tells me 2000 is enough and the other 500 does me no good. Dr says take it? I do a low carb most of the time but every now and then I have blown it with food I absolutely know is bad for me. My doc says I am not under control so I am smartening up.

Canadian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha yes we are in Alberta as well. We don't have a snow blower but finished shovelling yesterday. Enjoyed the afternoon at the Banff Hot springs.

That is amazing! Years ago our youngest daughter lived in Banff, Canmore and Sunshine Ski Hill when she worked there. We visited often and loved it so much being there. she still has a group of ladies and she calls them the Sunshine Girls and they get together often. We are in Wetaskiwin now.

Canadian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I am on the BC coast and even we are getting snow this year. Hope you had a great christmas. :D
Yes, we had a great Christmas. I have seen on the news several times how the coast is getting such horrendous weather. Just amazing. Hopefully it will settle down now. At least here when it snows we can still get around. Much colder here though of course.
Thanks for the welcome.

Elaine

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
hello welcome to the forum I have a granddaughter who lives in Vancouver had a lovely holiday there.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Can you give us some idea of your weight or BMI? If the low carb isn't working and if you are slim then do not discount the possibility of being Late onset T1 and not T2. The need for insulin is one hint?

Canadian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Can you give us some idea of your weight or BMI? If the low carb isn't working and if you are slim then do not discount the possibility of being Late onset T1 and not T2. The need for insulin is one hint?
I am 5'6" and 65kg.
Part of my problem is that I do not get enough exercise, especially in winter. Just keep putting it off and then the day is gone.
Will probably do better on Lantus as the NPH at night peaks and I go low once in a while. May need a bit more of the new one though. Will soon find out. I have a new disposable pen, just wanted to finish the one I am on. Mostly my problem would be eating a dessert or snack that I know I can't handle. This is when we are at someone else's place or a restaurant. Have to make some changes for the New Year.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I have a brother who has made his life in Saskatoon some 45 years now and loves it.
Hope you get some useful information here which helps you get everything under control. Good luck
Maggie