Scottish Government 10m Funding Programme

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Fantastic news!

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I was at the hosp. clinic today and came out with a libre, Apparently in Scotland they will be available to type 1's. They are only funding one sensor per person and then you would have to buy them yourself, but I guess they will get a wealth of knowledge even from those two weeks and even if you don't wear it all the time doing it every now and again and then talking over the results with your DSN must be helpful.

Reactions: kimrooney89
A

asparagusp

(I think my hospital in central London lends out CGMs but there probably is a waiting list!)

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in scotland and was given a sensor prior to attending a dafne course so I could get some valuable data in the week running upto the course (I normally self fund, but could not get new sensors in time through the post). Thanks you NHS Scotland!
Whilst on the course, we had a newbie who was suffering severe anxiety due to serious evening and night hypos. He got a complimentary libre and sensor that week. He made a massive amount of progress in understanding and insulin dose adjustment in just one week thanks to the libre. Even if you can't self fund continuously, they are great for occasional fine tuning of your regime or helping when your control hits the skids.

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
I am in scotland and was given a sensor prior to attending a dafne course so I could get some valuable data in the week running upto the course (I normally self fund, but could not get new sensors in time through the post). Thanks you NHS Scotland!
Whilst on the course, we had a newbie who was suffering severe anxiety due to serious evening and night hypos. He got a complimentary libre and sensor that week. He made a massive amount of progress in understanding and insulin dose adjustment in just one week thanks to the libre. Even if you can't self fund continuously, they are great for occasional fine tuning of your regime or helping when your control hits the skids.
That's amazing! I'm in Scotland too, have an appointment with my DSN in a fortnight, hopefully I'll make some progress as I have little control at the moment :(

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's amazing! I'm in Scotland too, have an appointment with my DSN in a fortnight, hopefully I'll make some progress as I have little control at the moment :(
Hi Kimrooney. Have you done the dafne yet (or recently)? It is worth asking because you take a full week out of your busy schedule and concentrate solely on improving and understanding control. The course I was on was split between those who had been type 1 for 25 years or more and newbies. The old-timers (sorry ;-) ) benefitted from the twice daily close BG scrutiny sessions. Everyone improved their contol in that week. Might be worth asking if you have not been on a course for a while or at all. Best of luck xx

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi Kimrooney. Have you done the dafne yet (or recently)? It is worth asking because you take a full week out of your busy schedule and concentrate solely on improving and understanding control. The course I was on was split between those who had been type 1 for 25 years or more and newbies. The old-timers (sorry ;-) ) benefitted from the twice daily close BG scrutiny sessions. Everyone improved their contol in that week. Might be worth asking if you have not been on a course for a while or at all. Best of luck xx
No I haven't...I've never actually been offered a place on a DAFNE course, but I've will speak to my DSN about that and also the libre at my next appointment as I feel that they could both benefit me :) x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm fairly sure that the Libre handouts in Scotland are the same as those in the rest of the UK. Abbott have been funding the one reader/one sensor to get people started. Many then go on and self fund after realising how useful it is.

To put the £10m into context, that's the equivalent of pump funding for around 2,500 people for one year.

Reactions: Type1Bri

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No I haven't...I've never actually been offered a place on a DAFNE course, but I've will speak to my DSN about that and also the libre at my next appointment as I feel that they could both benefit me :) x

Until you get a place on DAFNE register with the following, its an on-line carb counting course and by all accounts it's very good:

http://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm fairly sure that the Libre handouts in Scotland are the same as those in the rest of the UK. Abbott have been funding the one reader/one sensor to get people started. Many then go on and self fund after realising how useful it is.

To put the £10m into context, that's the equivalent of pump funding for around 2,500 people for one year.

Tim, yes you're probably correct - she didn't say why she had them and my DSN did say when I got my pump that they were trying to get more folk on to pumps as think Scotland lags way behind the rest of the UK.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am due to visit my diabetic clinic in 2 weeks and will enquire then

Does anyone know if in general pumps are given out to us old timers or is it generally aimed at younger people new to the condition. I appreciate that there will be no fixed answer as such just looking for generally happens in people experience

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

Does anyone know if in general pumps are given out to us old timers or is it generally aimed at younger people new to the condition. I appreciate that there will be no fixed answer as such just looking for generally happens in people experience
I got mine aged 57 last year -- diagnosed T1 at age 14
so an old timer in my own view :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

There's a member here called @yingtong who is in his 60's and started on a pump last year :)

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Got diabetes at 50 and got a pump at 52.