What research do you want done?

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As the story on sleep apnoea and diabetes says, the association has been known for 20 years. Now we have a more precise estimate of the degree of association.
Is this the kind of research people with diabetes want? Or would you rather research that tests treatments.
If you could direct £100,000 of funding, what specific question would you like researched?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes and microbiome changes compared to non-diabetics.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Diabetes and gastro intestinal failure... finding something that works for those that end up being fed by tubes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As the story on sleep apnoea and diabetes says, the association has been known for 20 years. Now we have a more precise estimate of the degree of association.
Is this the kind of research people with diabetes want? Or would you rather research that tests treatments.

Yes it's the kind of research we want, but without the more detailed research the test treatments wouldn't be available or improved on.

If you could direct £100,000 of funding, what specific question would you like researched?

Not a specific question, but time and time again on the forum we see the subject of diabetes and the effect it has on mental health so I would like to see more funding made available to research this.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Research into Late onset T1 causes to minimise 'T2' being a collecting group for anything other than early onset T1.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Cheaper tests for hyperinsulinaemia and insulinoma.

There are a lot of T2s and prediabetics that have high insulin resistance and high insulin levels and high glucose levels.

A test could offset the resulting diabetes as well as the more rarer types of metabolic conditions.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cruelty to animals

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cruelty to animals
I would rather see a research in to diabetes of how it starts in over weight people if they have a operation to reduce there weight the diabetes vanishes the doctors don't know why why does diabetes cause feet amputation of the feet lot of research has to go into diabetes

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The effects of zero gravity & blood glucose control..

"Nano tech".

Time traveling food nutritionalists like Terminator?

But looking forward to the future..? We should really be more concerned about what the monkeys are planning...

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure the £100,000 budget would do the trick.

Smart insulin.
Or, Glucagon that could last in a pump.

How to turn the immune system back on track, and away from attacking beta cells. Yeah, I just want a cure. I'm gonna need more money...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would rather see a research in to diabetes of how it starts in over weight people if they have a operation to reduce there weight the diabetes vanishes the doctors don't know why why does diabetes cause feet amputation of the feet lot of research has to go into diabetes

Gerald - Professor Taylor, in Newcastle has done a significant amount of work, replicating weight loss surgery, and some success in reversing T2 in a good percentage of his trial participants. If you Google "Professor Tayle Newcastle Diet", you should find plenty of reading material.

Apologies, @nickm for going off-topic to gerald.

Personally, now that there are growing numbers of T2s who have reversed/resolved the diabetes, it would be interesting to see some intensive longer term monitoring of those individuals to track whether or not the become T2 again in the future.

Sadly, £100k doesn't pay for much research, bearing in mind it often takes well in excess of a year for budding research to go through feasibility, ethics and funding processes before it even starts. :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd like to see research into beta cell regeneration, as mentioned above, and also research into the possible link between the gut and the development of Type 1 diabetes :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A five year study contrasting people on Dr. Bernstein's low carbohydrate diet versus the low carb high fat diet espoused on this website. Fr. Bernstein, in his December call in seminar, also available on the Youtube, suggests that the high fzt in place of the high protein could cause the person to lose muscle mass
If you don't eat appropriate amounts of protein and do appropriate amounts of exercise, then yes, absolutely. That doesn't mean you need to eat more than the right amount of protein though... And that can be eaten alongside a higher fat diet.

I'm not sure that the statements he makes about Tresiba in this video are correct though, based on the forum users that have been using it.