REAL sweet without carbs?

W

WithoutSugar

Hello!

I really need something sweet without carbs to eat.

But I am extremely disappointed with regular low carb alternatives.

Is there anything that will taste like real cheesecake, snickers, or other normal things?

I cannot stand the aftertastes and strange flavours, I need something that tastes like the real thing!

thanks!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just do a search for things like 'low carb cheesecake' and 'low carb snickers' (or whatever it is you are craving).

you will be astonished at the delicious variety of recipes available.

- and if you stick to your resolve, you will also be astonished at how quickly your taste buds adjust and REAL food like berries will start to taste incredible, and sweet enough. We only have such sweet teeth nowadays because of the amount of sugar that is tipped into nearly every processed food. As soon as we stop having all that sugar, our taste buds revert to being able to enjoy REAL food again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most things bought in shops are made with the cheapest ingredients - which are carbs, so to get low carb you really need to make it yourself - and that is almost essential if you want to be absolutely certain of the carb count - or at least be able to make a good guess at it. However - to see and taste the results of your own handiwork is rather pleasing.
I find such things as beetroot and peas are very sweet now that I am used to low carbing, and the amounts of sweeteners in recipes is way over the top.

W

WithoutSugar

I haven't tasted pure artificial sweeteners. I probably don't like Stevia. Sugar alcohol get me to the loo.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes - Atkins bars are loaded with sugar alcohols - they blow me up like a balloon.
If you do a search for low carb desserts or sweets there should be loads of recipes come up.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You can buy a mixture of erythritol and stevia. They seem to cancel out the aftertaste of each. You can also get milk chocolate with this combination of sweeteners. Lily's brand is very good. Still lots of calories but much less impact on blood sugar and for most people no bathroom issues unlike maltitol. It is very expensive though.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before diabetes I did not have a sweet tooth I would choose savoury over sweet stuff any time and still do most of the time my husband was the sweet tooth eater. Since diabetes I sometimes get an overwhelming need for something sweet and I am sure a lot of people do after all ..sweet..is one of our senses. We usually have some Gullon sugar free biscuits in and a chocolate or vanilla cream wafer although not quite the same as real sugar ones serves the purpose

AndyMc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9 bars are not bad as a snickers alternative - around 11 or 12g of carb per bar. I have half a bar as a snack.

Another thing I do is have very small portions of 'normal' sugary things. For example half a slice of vanila cheesecake, without the base - around 10g carbs. The problem there is keeping discipline - so tempting to have just a little more. And easy to kid yourself that several small pieces is less harmful than one big piece (which of course it isn't)

Also there are some small chocolate bars around. In a Morrison's garage yesterday they had 18g bars of dairy milk, containing 10g carbs. Freddo bars are similar (actually taste better but more embarrassing to buy )

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just do a search for things like 'low carb cheesecake' and 'low carb snickers' (or whatever it is you are craving).

you will be astonished at the delicious variety of recipes available.

- and if you stick to your resolve, you will also be astonished at how quickly your taste buds adjust and REAL food like berries will start to taste incredible, and sweet enough. We only have such sweet teeth nowadays because of the amount of sugar that is tipped into nearly every processed food. As soon as we stop having all that sugar, our taste buds revert to being able to enjoy REAL food again.

So, so, right......I bought some Oppo ice cream about 4 months into LCHF and it was so sweet I couldn't finish it....don't get me wrong, it's a good resource for those that like it but my taste just altered so much over those 4 months and I couldn't believe it!

W

WithoutSugar

9 bars are not bad as a snickers alternative - around 11 or 12g of carb per bar. I have half a bar as a snack.

Another thing I do is have very small portions of 'normal' sugary things. For example half a slice of vanila cheesecake, without the base - around 10g carbs. The problem there is keeping discipline - so tempting to have just a little more. And easy to kid yourself that several small pieces is less harmful than one big piece (which of course it isn't)

Also there are some small chocolate bars around. In a Morrison's garage yesterday they had 18g bars of dairy milk, containing 10g carbs. Freddo bars are similar (actually taste better but more embarrassing to buy )

which 9 bars are snickers alternatives with 12g carbs?

I cannot eat half snickers, I usually must eat 3-4 snickers bars to feel complete.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hello!

There is nothing "normal" about sweet things. We do not grow snickers bars or cheesecakes. Why will you probably not like stevia? What quantities of polyols were you consuming to make you go to the loo? What other artificial sweeteners have you tried? What is your diet generally like? What levels are your fasting blood sugars and HbA1c? How long have you had Diabetes? What type of Diabetes do you have? What exercise do you undertake? Do you have any complications of diabetes?

Trying to understand.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I made a low-carb lemon cheesecake for Christmas using a recipe I'd found on Pinterest. It went down a storm with everyone, even the sugar addicts. I didn't tell them I'd used Truvia for sweetening.

Reactions: Tannedhaggis