Pump or no pump?

ToMk5011

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey i'm Tom,

I am 19 and i've been type 1 for 3 years. I am thinking of getting a pump this year, just wondering if anyone with one now would recommend it?

Cheers

Reactions: himtoo

Chloe_robbo02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had the pump for a while but I hated it so I spoke to my nurse and she told me to use an omnipod they are very easy to use aswell

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a pump more than 12 years and love it :)

It changed my life and makes me feel more like me :) I'd never give it back : D

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey i'm Tom,

I am 19 and i've been type 1 for 3 years. I am thinking of getting a pump this year, just wondering if anyone with one now would recommend it?

Cheers

Have you had a discussion with your consultant or DSN about pumping?

Here's some information on qualifying for pump therapy funded by the NHS - http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/is-it-provided-by-the-nhs/

I think it's quite an individual personal decision on whether pump or mdi is better - it really depends on the person. Pump takes a lot of work to get to grips with - requires you to understand basal rates and adjusting your insulin, carb counting and getting your I:C ratio right. But it has benefits: 1) you can bespoke your basal rates; 2) more accurate bolus doses with increment as small as 0.025 units in some pump instead of half a unit which is as small as you can get on mdi; 3) much more flexible basal rates using temporary basal rates; 4) bolus discretely at the touch of a button.

The book "pumping insulin" is worth checking out if you are thinking of asking for a pump.

tfishuk

I would strongly recommend the Omnipod, you don't have to worry about tubes etc and it is so easy to use

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an Animas Vibe pump which I have had for 19 months, at first I wasn't sure about it as there is a lot to learn but you are not on your own as your DSN will keep in touch to make sure everything is ok. I am so glad that I have the pump and definitely wouldn't go back to injections.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
totally agree with noblehead

YES

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
The pump literally changes your life. First, you don't have to carry around about of pen needles and your insulin pen. You would have your pump clipped to your side and an extra pump site change just in case (trust me, you want to carry that stuff around) something goes wrong. You would still need your meter of course and your glucagon. Honestly, once you get the pump, it's like you have part of your life back. Hope this helps.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Would you say your pump is worth 8 weeks pay? It has been suggested that I look into it a number of times by my doctors. It's just a lot of money AU$9,500, however if it can prevent complications, it's not that expensive. Just curious if those on a pump would pay for it if they had to, is it that good? Before everyone points out the running expenses the supplies are very cheap as they are government subsidised ~ 4 Coffees a month (batteries not included).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Would you say your pump is worth 8 weeks pay? It has been suggested that I look into it a number of times by my doctors. It's just a lot of money AU$9,500, however if it can prevent complications,

Pumps don't prevent complications, but if one improves your diabetes control then they'll reduce the chances of developing them.
If affordable I would say they are worth it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Would you say your pump is worth 8 weeks pay? It has been suggested that I look into it a number of times by my doctors. It's just a lot of money AU$9,500, however if it can prevent complications, it's not that expensive. Just curious if those on a pump would pay for it if they had to, is it that good? Before everyone points out the running expenses the supplies are very cheap as they are government subsidised ~ 4 Coffees a month (batteries not included).
To give you some insight into this, from my perspective the answer is yes. Prior to getting a pump through the NHS, I was paying for my own supplies using a borrowed pump, and now I've switched to using OpenAPS, I have bought a pump myself that works with the software and fortunately don't have to pay for supplies.

So having been there, it was worth it to me.

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey i'm Tom,

Cheers

Hi Tom.

I have seen both sides of the coin: injections and insulin pump. I spent six and a half years on injections, then changed to a pump. Not once have I looked back.

I use the Ypsomed Omnipod pump and for nearly four years now it has changed my life. So much more freedom and choice. No wires. More sense of normality in my life. As a teenager myself (17), having that freedom means a lot. Yes, I have a bag to carry around my equipment with me and I need it on me 24/7, but that is nothing when all you've got to do is use the handset to give you boluses.

One injection every 2-3 days is a massive advantage over having to do them 4-6 times every day.

The only thing you've got to be more aware of on a pump is that ketones are more prevalent. On a pump, you've normally only got the fast acting insulin - usually Novorapid. Ketones can become a problem much quicker. However this doesn't outweigh the benefits of the pump!

I hope this helps :)

Reactions: noblehead