Such a thing as low carb bread or snack bars?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in lidl supermarket just now and almost bought the low GI bread, but glad now that I did not - it is 36 percent carbs. The high protein rolls are actually within my normal range - 8.5 percent carbs - but they did not have any.

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I
I was in lidl supermarket just now and almost bought the low GI bread, but glad now that I did not - it is 36 percent carbs. The high protein rolls are actually within my normal range - 8.5 percent carbs - but they did not have any.
I'm going to try them, not had chance yet but I will when I do

rayles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Modern music and the "celebrity " culture
I may be clutching at straws but are there such things as low carb bread or bars/breakfast bars that are commercially available? Or are they a myth like the tooth fairy lol? I've obviously heard of Atkins but don't want to go and buy anything only to find out that I shouldn't actually be eating them. Any suggestions gratefully accepted, thanks.
Try looking at Avidlite.co.uk

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I've tried many different breads which are supposedly 'healthy' for diabetics and nearly all either taste like cardboard or are ridiculously expensive. There's only one that I can recommend wholeheartedly and that is Burgen.

Burgen has 25g of carbs per 100g or 11g per slice. It lasts for ages so no waste due to it going mouldy. It tastes great, especially toasted. It costs £1.30 for an 800g loaf at Tesco.

add19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may be clutching at straws but are there such things as low carb bread or bars/breakfast bars that are commercially available? Or are they a myth like the tooth fairy lol? I've obviously heard of Atkins but don't want to go and buy anything only to find out that I shouldn't actually be eating them. Any suggestions gratefully accepted, thanks.
Try this

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried many different breads which are supposedly 'healthy' for diabetics and nearly all either taste like cardboard or are ridiculously expensive. There's only one that I can recommend wholeheartedly and that is Burgen.

Burgen has 25g of carbs per 100g or 11g per slice. It lasts for ages so no waste due to it going mouldy. It tastes great, especially toasted. It costs £1.30 for an 800g loaf at Tesco.
I used to eat Burgen all the time before but 11g is high when trying to stay under 20g for a full day, it's worth it for a wee treat now and then x

Godderz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really missed bread. I've tried making all the homemade 'alternative' recipes and didn't like any of them so now I just buy LivLife Seriously Seeded (3.8g carbs per slice, although it has to be said the slices are quite small) which I usually have toasted from frozen, and Atkins bread mix (2.3g per slice), also quite small but very tasty and ridiculously easy to make (best if you make sure the yeast is thoroughly mixed into the dry mixture before adding the water) and freezes well. The downside is that it's relatively expensive £3.99 a time (although Ocado have it on offer at £2.99 this week), but to me it's worth it to have a bread I really like. Atkins also do a crispbread that has 1.8g per slice, good as a snack with any number of toppings or as a 'biscuit' with cheese.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was able to get some Lidl protein bread rolls before Christmas, but will have to limit my purchases - I ate both of them as soon as they were soft enough to bite through after removal from the freezer - no self control when faced with food.
They are quite good after six weeks without bread.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nature valley protein bars (choc or salted caramel) are pretty low carb and my go-to snack to keep in my handbag.

Annie_B23

So I fount the nicest bread EVER!! It's high protein bread from musclefood.com. On my 5th loaf now. 15gcarb AND 15gprotein per slice!!! So filling, great sandwiches and great toast.

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I fount the nicest bread EVER!! It's high protein bread from musclefood.com. On my 5th loaf now. 15gcarb AND 15gprotein per slice!!! So filling, great sandwiches and great toast.
I actually got some of their low carb wraps, 4g each, and they are nice to have with salad n meat on!

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was able to get some Lidl protein bread rolls before Christmas, but will have to limit my purchases - I ate both of them as soon as they were soft enough to bite through after removal from the freezer - no self control when faced with food.
They are quite good after six weeks without bread.
I've had a couple and got a few left in the freezer, a little diff to normal rolls but still nice

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really missed bread. I've tried making all the homemade 'alternative' recipes and didn't like any of them so now I just buy LivLife Seriously Seeded (3.8g carbs per slice, although it has to be said the slices are quite small) which I usually have toasted from frozen, and Atkins bread mix (2.3g per slice), also quite small but very tasty and ridiculously easy to make (best if you make sure the yeast is thoroughly mixed into the dry mixture before adding the water) and freezes well. The downside is that it's relatively expensive £3.99 a time (although Ocado have it on offer at £2.99 this week), but to me it's worth it to have a bread I really like. Atkins also do a crispbread that has 1.8g per slice, good as a snack with any number of toppings or as a 'biscuit' with cheese.
I'd need to travel quite a wee bit to get it, but that's something I'll do if I get to the stage of really craving bread

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
TESCO have brought in a high protein loaf which is really nice and lasts ages. 10g carbs per slice and 88 calories.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
At 15g carbs per slice, it's hardly different from normal bread, even with the extra protein.

Reactions: Suzanne616