First time tester(SD)Code Free)

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning I have my first meter and want to do my firat test could you help please,I have my first 3 month assestment on thursday but would like to begin testing to day,I am very nervouse and suffer from chronic anxiety,what has prevented me from doing this before is that I am worried that my original blood test hasn't changed with my low carb diet and exercise,it is the SD codefree neter full of bits and pieces ,Thank you

Capture.JPG
Meter.JPG

Sorry about the questions but is this worth buying.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Wow,you are heading in the right direction,pleased to be able to offer a hand,1st @daisy1 will give you the basic info pack
The 1st test of the day is normally done before your feet hit the floor in the morning , this is called the fasting test and is usually the last figure to subside to " normal levels" due to our livers still expelling excess glucose,mine took nearly 7 monthe of lchf regime and portion controlling to lose about 4 1/2 stones. 2nd test is 1hr after eating main meal then an hour later these 2 tests will reveal just how well you are able to eat various food groups and how much they push up the blood sugar level similar testing after each meal of the day is reccomende until you know what foods you can eat and how much.
If there is anything we can do to assist...please post and you will get Answered by someone,clive
Ps the code free meter is one of the best and cheapest,to use it ,set up with new strip inserted,then after washing hands prick the edge of one of the fingers ( not the middle of your finger print it's the area with most nerves and too sensitive) as close to the edge of your finger print as you can then take a sample and apply it to the end of the test strip...you will find the info given by @daisy1 most helpful to find what the readings mean , hope this helps,

Last edited:

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
@wiseowl_123 I can't comment on the meter as it's not the same as mine. But one bit of advice that I found useful is to heat your hand in a basin of water before testing as this increases blood flow and makes extracting a spot of blood easier.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The code free meter is great for when you first start testing .. as the test strips are really cheep (compared to all other makes of testers) Once you start to take control of your blood sugars with diet and exercise, then testing your blood sugars just before you eat and 2 hours after you have eaten will show you whats causing your blood sugar to rise .. So you could be testing several times a day.. but as time goes on this need to test will decrease as you just need to test every so often to make sure your food choices are still ok.
Don't stress about numbers on the meter .. just use them as a guide as to what is causing your blood sugar to rise or fall. I personally started testing with very high numbers due to following the gov eat well advice, but once I changed to the diet advice given in this website my numbers soon started to tumble down and now I am in remission.
You are all set to take control .. enjoy the challenge and keep us posted on how your getting on :)

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you my friends but all I keep getting is E-! error showing

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will find that different people use different patterns of testing, to suit their eating and their lifestyle - I certainly test very differently from @Clivethedrive !

- but that just means that we have slightly different priorities. I want to make sure I can compare the before and after readings consistently, so that I can understand how different foods affect me.

Personally, when I started out I tested:
On waking (before getting out of bed)
Before food, then again 2 hours later (to compare what rise the food caused)
Before bed

I noted each one down along with the food I ate at each meal. Notebook, spreadsheet, phone app - they all work.

You only need to do this level of testing for a short time, because you very soon get to realise that certain foods have little impact, and others have a big impact, so you can tailor make your diet to keep blood glucose nice and low and steady. Once you have done that, testing is only really necessary with new foods or when you are eating away from home.

The main thing is to be consistent. Keep to the same length of time after food, so that your results are comparable.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

tinker1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy days
Try putting more blood onto the strip I think that should help

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@wiseowl_123

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will come along and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just took my first meter test I am a little dissapointed as it read 10.1

Reactions: berylc

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

Hey @wiseowl_123, when i was 1st diagnosed t2, my first test eas 26.8 mmols....and the advices my doctor gave was really very misleading
It was only after finding this forum and going lchf , that helped me gain control of my diabetes and today i am averaging 4.5 to 5.5 at all times
So chin up and ask as many q's as you need ,clive

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry too much about a single reading - it all depends on what you eaten and/or exercise. You'll soon learn from your BG readings how different foods affect you.
A couple of days ago my reading before dinner was 5.9 but 2 hours later had shot up to 11.3 :arghh: But I know exactly what caused the rise - it was a couple of slices of mellon, and some cooked cherries on icecream. And it was worth it just for that rare treat at Christmas :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Brunneria

Now you have done your first test you will find it all comes easier, but to make the most of your new meter, a food diary is essential and this should include the portion sizes. Test before you eat (after washing hands) and 2 hours after your first bite. Record these levels in your food diary and keep an eye on the amount your levels go up from before to after - this is far more important than the actual levels to begin with. Try to keep any rise from before to after under 2mmol/l. If it goes higher than that, there are too many carbs in that meal. Eventually you can change that 2mmol/l target to a lower one.

As for your meter, the Codefree is a good meter and has cheap strips. The AccuChek Mobile is also a good meter but the replacement strips (in a cartridge) are very, very expensive. I have both these meters but the AccuChek is kept for emergencies only.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Morning and thank you for all your kind and friendly support,I forgot that as every morning I had porridge and bluberries about 2 hours before that,and I have already used 7 strips(6 messed up) and only have 3 left what a plonker I am.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning and thank you for all your kind and friendly support,I forgot that as every morning I had porridge and bluberries about 2 hours before that,and I have already used 7 strips(6 messed up) and only have 3 left what a plonker I am.
Well Done. When you buy strips or lancets from anywhere, you will be able to claim the VAT back as a registered diabetic with a chronic condition. This may need you contacting the supplier and registering on a form, or if you buy direct ftom HomeHealth (the CodeFree Importer) then you can tick a box on their online order form to get the strips posted to you VAT Free without needing to claim it back.

I found making a noise like a female tennis player as I triggered the lancing device helped to distract me at the appropriate moment. I am well used to it now, and no longer employ this trick.

You are not a plonker. You are on a learning curve, There are no silly questions when it comes to health matters.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When testing it is best not to try and smear blood onto the test strip you should allow the test strip to draw the blood in by capillary action.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hello wiseowl_123 You may want to think about knocking the porridge on the head for breakfast, I found that my BG reading was high 2 hrs after until I realised that this was all I really had so must have been the cause. I stopped eating it and my levels dropped, not dramatically but enough to know that Porridge was not good for me. Obviously I tried It a few times to confirm my suspicions, but who knows it maybe something you can tolerate idk?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Serena51