Diabetic Daisy

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to write an open post for anyone who may need diabetic ear to share their problems.

Anyway.. I'm Daisy, I'm 25, I'm an account manager for a food company (the temptations are absurd, I'm talking free cakes 24/7) and I've had type 1 diabetes for 18 years.
6 months ago I decided to accept my diabetes, finally..

Now that I actually talk openly about my diabetes for my own safety, I've found that there are actually other Diabetics out there A friend of mine who never knew I was Diabetic has a teenage niece who is type 1 who is in a bad way with it. Cut a long story short, I now speak to her as a 'real diabetic person' to try to help her avoid the mistakes I made by only growing up diabetically at 25. I only wish someone had taught me a lesson or two before I went off the rails for 10 years.

Until recently, I was down in the dumps with everything and blamed my diabetes. My HBA1c was very high.
I am kind of healthier now, my HBA1c is pretty good. I am due laser for retinopathy which scares me but that's ok. My freestyle libre has been my saviour. I am due to get a pump in the next few months.

If anyone wants to chat then feel free to send me a message. Neither I or my diabetes are perfect, but going from a really bad unhealthy place to now seeing a less scary and stable future means I've got lots of diabetic love to give

Xxxx

samantha13

Hi Daisy! So pleased to read your story! I've only been diagnosed 6.5 years. I'm 33. I think I'm really only starting to accept it this past 6 months. If I'm honest I'm really struggling. My last hbA1c was 9.2% and I self fund the libre and am desperately trying to get better control but it's really effecting my mental health. I suffer depression and anxiety anyway but since I've been trying to work on my diabetes it's gotten worse. Anyway it's so nice to hear of a positive outcome for you! Thanks for sharing! Xxx

Reactions: daisymj14

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daisy,

I work too & am in a band (or two.) doughnuts at work, beer offered for the sake of rock & roll.. i decline. Then get thought a weirdo.. One wouldn't take rat poison would one, if offered... ;).
I've discovered a lot of Ds on the music scene. But unfortunately, they just don't get it...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is a uplifting post you've made there @daisymj14 :)

Well done on turning your life around and helping out your friends niece, also good luck with the laser surgery and do keep us updated on your progress.

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee you're a stronger person than me to be declining all the doughnuts and beer. I may be able to resist food temptations most of the time (or just limit it to one mouthful) but the beer would win me over I think!!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So nice to hear from someone who can be an inspiration to our younger members here on how you are now controlling your diabetes. Sometimes it is being able to talk with someone in their own age group who face the same problems that can make all the difference to the way they feel about having diabetes. I am sure Daisy that you will get a lot of response to your message from the younger people here

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Pinkorchid
I feel inspired since I joined the forum, I don't think I would have done it without the support and information on here.
Sometimes it's nice to hear the non clinical side of diabetes, we all know it's not a pleasant condition to have but we also learn that we are not alone.
I hope to get lots of response as it supports me to talk to people as much as I can help to support other people.
And I'm not just for the younger members! I will be a listening ear for anyone who wishes

Reactions: ziggy_w

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your positive messages. I welcome anyone to chat, it's really lifted my spirits today x

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ Daisymj14

Hi that was a really nice post I am recently diagnosed type 2 and work also there's always temptations in our work shop but I resist. I was off work ill for 3 months with kidney stones and other related issues that's when I was diagnosed otherwise had I not been ill I would not have know. Any way since being diagnosed and back at work I have also been open and told work colleagues I am diabetic only to find 3 others I work with are. The thing I have found amazing is although they have been diagnosed many years and there complete lack of knowledge about it and diet. I now find they come to me asking for info and advice which is nice because I feel as though I am helping and getting them back on the correct path. Even my shift partner he's a big lad has listened in and suddenly changed his diet and Is more aware of the **** that gets put in our food.

I wish you good luck and all the best for 2017 :)

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Voodoorising
You sound so positive! And that's great! It's amazing that the others are inspired by your knowledge now, and you should be proud of that you've all got a support network now and I wish you all the best health for 2017

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi Daisy,

I'm 27, have been diagnosed as type 1 diabetic for 10 years. No one on my family is diabetic, it can be a struggle sometimes to have an 'invisible illness'.

I still don't think I have accepted my diabetes...I struggle with irregular BG levels, even when I eat the same thing and follow the same daily routine I can't seem to get control!

I hope 2017 is a great year for you :)

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kimrooney89
Happy new year!
No one in my family is diabetic either, I forever wonder how I ended up having it! And you're right, it is a struggle to have an invisible illness. People assume that's you're fine even when you're having a bad day. I'll send you a message xx

Reactions: kimrooney89

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daisy,

I'm 27, have been diagnosed as type 1 diabetic for 10 years. No one on my family is diabetic, it can be a struggle sometimes to have an 'invisible illness'.

I still don't think I have accepted my diabetes...I struggle with irregular BG levels, even when I eat the same thing and follow the same daily routine I can't seem to get control!

I hope 2017 is a great year for you :)
your not the only one still not accepted my diabetes as your always thinking about other stuff

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daisy! I don't know anyone personally who is a T1. I don't think many of my friends even know tbh! I've always just kept it to myself.

I've recently started reading/posting more here and on Facebook. It helps to know there are many others out there facing the same challenges as me!

Also a Libre user (on my 3rd sensor), I don't think I could ever go back to not using it.. Opened my eyes a little bit!

I'm 31, and had it for 19 years similar to you. I had a little something eyes wise at my last optician check up. The Macular Diabetic team want to just monitor it every 3-4 months for now. But it was a mega shock (with tears!!). Hope everything goes well with yours!

I've been pretty lucky as I accepted it right away when I was 12, maybe didn't look after it as best I could in the late teens (blame Uni...). It gets me down every so often, but a supporting wife helps a lot!

samantha13

Hi @kimrooney89 I can totally empathise. I'm diagnosed 6 years now my last hbA1c was 9.2% for 5 of those years i was in denial. I sort of guessed my way around things. Ate too much. Didn't take my insulin at times. This year though I think I've finally accepted my diagnosis. With that I've been trying really hard to let my bg down. This has been exhausting. I feel I'm trying so hard everyday for no results. Sorry this isn't positive at all I guess I just wanted you to know it is hard and you're not alone. I struggle too. Please feel free to msg me anytime even if it's just to sound off. I have no history of diabetes in my family either. It's good to chat to people in the same boat xxx

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi @kimrooney89 I can totally empathise. I'm diagnosed 6 years now my last hbA1c was 9.2% for 5 of those years i was in denial. I sort of guessed my way around things. Ate too much. Didn't take my insulin at times. This year though I think I've finally accepted my diagnosis. With that I've been trying really hard to let my bg down. This has been exhausting. I feel I'm trying so hard everyday for no results. Sorry this isn't positive at all I guess I just wanted you to know it is hard and you're not alone. I struggle too. Please feel free to msg me anytime even if it's just to sound off. I have no history of diabetes in my family either. It's good to chat to people in the same boat xxx
Hi @samantha13,
Thank you so much! It makes me feel 100x better to know that there are other T1's out there who feel the same way. Sometimes you can feel like a failure when your BG levels just do not co-operate - no matter how hard you try!
It also seems like every little thing in pairs on diabetes; hot weather, cold weather, any bit of activity, and being unwell!
Venting definitely does help, message me any time :)

Reactions: samantha13

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @samantha13,
Thank you so much! It makes me feel 100x better to know that there are other T1's out there who feel the same way. Sometimes you can feel like a failure when your BG levels just do not co-operate - no matter how hard you try!
It also seems like every little thing in pairs on diabetes; hot weather, cold weather, any bit of activity, and being unwell!
Venting definitely does help, message me any time :)
Haha yes! You do the same thing on a different day and it sky rockets! One of the really frustrating things with diabetes. Putting it behind us and moving on is difficult, something I try to strive to though!

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Haha yes! You do the same thing on a different day and it sky rockets! One of the really frustrating things with diabetes. Putting it behind us and moving on is difficult, something I try to strive to though!
I know, it's so difficult to accept the frustration and try to move past it. That is definitely one of my goals for this year though...sometimes we have to accept that certain things are outwith our control, all we can do is out best!