"LO"

sunflower333

Dislikes
Being Diabetic
I just had a bit of a shock. I was just sitting down happily on my laptop, and suddenly felt dizzy (has those i was on a fairground ride), not my usual signs of shaking and sweating.

I said to my husband, "i think i meant be having an hypo, when i tested myself...OMG, the machine said "LO", how was i still talking, walking, i thought this only happened if you where on the floor and the next stop hospital.

Husband reached for a energy drink, and then i had a jam sandwich.

I went to 0,96 ...5.3, to 227.. 12.6 ,now an hour later.

Has anyone else had this happen to them "LO" without warning or was my machine going a bit mad, i thought at this point i'd be unconscious. :shock:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've had a 'low' reading on my meter before and it isn't very pleasant and panic stations begin to kick in, but you did the correct thing by having some fast acting glucose. Hope you feel better soon!

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had it happened twice.
The first time was when on a nordic ski machine,I took some glucose and got back on quite quickly. I'm not convinced it was anywhere near an accurate reading.
The other I was shopping and was far more disoriented. I ended up wandering round and round Boots looking for glucose tabs, I was panicking and I hadn't at that point tested. I had to ask the pharmacist to get some for me ( though I had a packet in my bag asI always have!) When I'd taken some , I got out of the shop and sat down tested and it came up 'lo'
Thankfully though, although I wan't functioning properly and didn't feel good, I didn't feel as if I was about to pass out either.

I think that hypos are strange, they vary so much and how you feel/react doesn't always seem to reflect the level.

Lisa21

I have had "LO" readings too. I notice that sometimes I get an "LO" result if I fail to put enough blood on the testing strip. If I get an "LO" result I always do a second test to check whether the initial result was correct.

sunflower333

Dislikes
Being Diabetic
Thankyou for replys,

I no now looking back at my meal last night, i'd miss judged my novorapid dose.

4 units for just a small piece of home made quiche with veg and a non sugar yoghurt, but was shocked at how i'd got "lo" without my unusual signs. I'm Going to be extra careful now. The lowest i've had before with 42 ( 2.3 ), and i was shaking badly then.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
it is possible (clearly!) to go that low and keep moving, I've done it and I'm sure many others on here will testify to similar experiences. You did the right thing to eat something with quick acting carbs followed by the sandwich for slower acting. I find that I can keep going when low if I am active but when I stop, that is when it hits me hard. Best thing is to test regularly so you can spot any 'trends' and be able to treat yourself. If you think you could be going through an unawareness phase then speak with your DN and she may suggest you run your levels a bit higher than usual for a week or so in order to get your usual symptoms back? Also, it's worth noting that over time, your symptoms may change anyway so what you were used to may not be the case now when low.

Hope you manage to sort it! :)

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Ive had "LO" a few times. Ive also have 1.7 the other day which is extremly low. I do know "LO" means the reading is to low for the monitor to read so this means it must have been below 1.7 but I didnt even feel to bad when it said "LO" :|