Getting Married soon..

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
Hello

I'm getting married in 45 days and was wondering if anyone has any practical advice in regards to pre-ceremony, in ceremony and post ceremony.

Essentially I'd like to be under control in the morning so as not to have a headache or anything from being hyper and having a hypo would be awful.

During the ceremony should I carry something sweet to munch on if anything goes wrong?

And post ceremony is food/meal time so that should be ok.

However in the 'evening' - anything important I should know about diabetes and the 'marital act' ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
IrishJoe said:
However in the 'evening' - anything important I should know about diabetes and the 'marital act' ?

Yes..........keep a bottle of Lucozade and some Wedding Cake beside the bed........ :D
Should keep you going......so to speak ! :wink:

Ken

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
cugila said:
IrishJoe said:

Yes..........keep a bottle of Lucozade and some Wedding Cake beside the bed........ :D
Should keep you going......so to speak ! :wink:

Ken

I do expect that we will be too tired by the evening to be quite honest.
But just keep some sugar near by then. Is it harder to notice a hypo?

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Irishjoe,
Avoid getting too stressed on the morning of your big day (easy to say!)to avoid a BG rise. I'm sure you'll have an idea a few days before on how stress affects your levels. With me stress can send me either way,depends whether I'm rushing around a lot or not.
You could try taking a bit less rapid-acting and have a lower-carb breakfast to avoid a hypo later in the morn. Also Keep a pack of dextrosol or lucozade tabs in your jacket or trouser pocket, hopefully you'll feel more at ease during the ceremony. If you have an unexpected spike, try not to over-correct with insulin, I've done that in the heat of the moment and regretted it.
Dancing will lower your BG, if you need to escape the dancefloor to prick your finger-so be it.
As for the wedding night-Ken's advice is spot on, and you might be interested in this recent thread :D viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9443&hilit=sex&start=15
It won't do you any harm if your control's not perfect for one day, as long as you're feeling ok, that's the main thing.
Congratulations and enjoy!
Jus :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Irishjoe,

Best wishes Joe on your forthcoming wedding, I do hope you both live a long and happy life together! :D

Good advice by Justine and Ken, but I wouldn't get to stressed over this and just try to enjoy the day, as it is mostly close family and friends that will be attending, don't feel uncomfortable should you need to go off and test your bg, or need to inject, people should accept you for who you are! Just remember to test regularly and carry some form of glucose just in case.

As for the 'marital act'..........................believe me its surprising after a long day how much energy you can find at such times! :wink: Just remember to test before and after, and as others have said, keep some Lucozade handy!

Good luck!

Nigel

mrsb2b

i got diagnosed a couple of months before my wedding and got on to insulin just before it so i was very worried. All I can say is looking back i shouldnt have worried so much as it spoilt it a bit. The night before i took insulin for meal and then couldnt eat it due to nerves and worried about that. With experience I wouldnt have worried so much.

All I can say is test regularly and have stuff for lows on you. If your levels are a bit haywire for one night it isnt the end of the world.

I had a sandwich on the way to the reception as i was so concerned about eating on time but it wasnt really necessary - if you are busy you may not notice drops in levels etc so just test more but dont let it spoil ur day.

hope it all goes well ... let us know x

badmedisin

Congratulations!!
My advice would be to relax and try not to worry about it, but test regularly and keep your carbs handy. And try not to spill that bright orange lucozade on the wedding dress!

I would also test before going to bed. It doesn't happen very often, but a sex hypo really spoils the moment! If you test first or have a small snack you'll be fine.

Hope it all goes brilliantly :)