Thinking about "going green" in New Year

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @the BOT 74 A very impressive result. Were you on medication ?
By reversal do you mean cured or in remission?
My understanding is that a non-surgical 'cure' is very rare and is defined as 5 years normal readings w/o medication, eating a 'normal' diet. Otherwise the condition is being 'managed'. You're clearly on the right path to successful management. However reversal or cure is something else and I'd like to see the of the Newcastle results are confirmed in 5 years time.

Last edited:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been vegetarian for 28 years, meat or fish is just not part of my menu .. the misses has as far as I know always been veggie .. (bordering on vegan .. but without the vet B2 injections) When we went low carb I was eating only 20g of carbs a day .. cutting out bread, potatoes, parsnips, pasta, rice, cereals .. the misses has a rapeseed oil allergy so we don't have pre made foods. Its good fats like coconut oil and olive oil that helps to keep me feeling full ... My blood sugar numbers have been in the normal range for a few years now and I can eat any amount of carbs now without it rising .. but enjoy the clean low carb eating and its my way of staying on track diabetes wise. Enjoy your new veggie way of eating .. you don't need to spoil things by eating meat or fish .. We do eat eggs & cheese .. eggs only from our own pet hens ...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get regular blood tests which are posted on the internet.
My numbers don't lie and I feel great with no side effects. My diabetic nurses are specially trained in diabetes care.
I never am stressed out about diabetes. I take 70 units of Lantus and between 20 and 36 units of Novo Rapid before each meal. I also take 2 Janumet 1000/50 pills and 120 mugs of Dyamicron each day.
If I ever had side effects I would switch to one of the wonderful meds available out there but never had to.
My attitude is you can suffer with diabetes or you can deal with it.
Exactly.. my way of dealing with my Type 2 was going ultra low carb and avoiding medication. Works for me.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@bulkbiker yes I also can avoid meds depending on what I eat. To me I enjoy food and that isn't ban option.
Last night I had hot roast beef sandwich smothered in gravy and I just had a steak and cheese Quesadea . Not ever going vegan. I've seen what that can do to people.

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @THEBOT74
Did you see my query regarding your impressive bg result? As I'm new to this I'm not sure I posted it correctly.

THEBOT74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @les74

I am on Metformin but this will only be a temporary thing.

The changes I am making to low carb and vegan are going to be permanent. I don't need potatoes or rice or pasta. The goal is reversal of Type 2 altogether and staying vegan. I don't intend on letting diabetes control me, I will deal with and control it.

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @THEBOT74
Thanks for clarifying and I like your attitude. I'm of the same mind although I sometimes feel in a minority. Many type2s I know take a more pragmatic relaxed approach using medication to cover the occasional 'lapses' but don't see any other major lifestyle changes as necessary.

THEBOT74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @les74

Yes, I prefer to be relaxed about my diabetes and have the glass half full approach.

The problem nutrient that has caused obesity and diabetes is carbs. Too many potatoes, rice, pasta, sweets, cakes, pies, biscuits, and processed ****. Both a mainstream and a vegetarian/vegan diet can be unhealthy if you eat too many carbs. I will be avoiding whatever carbs I can. Cereals aren't great either because of the carb content. Personally I would just keep carbs low, have fruit but in controlled amounts and plenty of green leafy vegetables

THEBOT74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Not in all cases. I am referring to Type 2 not Type1. Obesity is a factor though, even if it's not the cause, because certainly in my case, I was eating too many carbs and getting the tell tale symptoms, as well as gained weight. Whilst Type 2 is caused by insulin resistance, it happens in middle age and on many cases if someone is overweight. What I am saying is that eating too many carbs links both conditions. Which is why me and many others on this forum are on low carbs and exercising to beat both conditions.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@THEBOT74 The truth is they don't know why one person gets T2 and another doesn't. They only have Suppositions and theories.
Once you have diabetes you can control it with diet, excersize and meds Insulin resistance isn't always a factor .i know skinny people who develop T2 as well as fat people who don't.
I've had T2 for 40 years and am not obese . I'm the only one of 9 siblings to develop diabetes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get regular blood tests which are posted on the internet.
My numbers don't lie and I feel great with no side effects. My diabetic nurses are specially trained in diabetes care.
I never am stressed out about diabetes. I take 70 units of Lantus and between 20 and 36 units of Novo Rapid before each meal. I also take 2 Janumet 1000/50 pills and 120 mugs of Dyamicron each day.
If I ever had side effects I would switch to one of the wonderful meds available out there but never had to.
My attitude is you can suffer with diabetes or you can deal with it.

Spoken like a "T1". Though, as a T1 myself. I take a hell of a lot less units of basal bolus... Yarp I know you're probably "insulin resistant". But the "key" is we don't do da carb. Bury your head in the sand? While your stifling to breath. You get your **** exposed & burned in the sunshine! ;) Just a tip! :cool:

By the way. Did you let the "driving authorities" (not sure where you live.) you're on insulin?

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee I just renew ed my license and just have to tell them I'm T2 Never had an accident or lost any points in 50 years .of driving. Canadian.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee I just renew ed my license and just have to tell them I'm T2 Never had an accident or lost any points in 50 years .of driving. Canadian.
Newly renewed licence... Due to age.? Or regarding the use of insulin?