Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ Jaylee very 5 years
So am i guessing right with regards to Canadian motoring laws/legislation that you have a "restricted licence" as an insulin user (the maximum given.) on a doctor's report. Every "5 years"?

How long have you been on insulin..?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I ageee with jaylee. Tons of insulin. Not antwhere I want to go when just some dietary changes make all the difference.

To each his own...

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm real happy as a diabetic and never had any issues after I started taking care of my diabetes. I eat what I like and medicate accordingly. Just had a lovely roast beef sandwich with gravy and green peas. I took 34 units of Novo Rapid and my 2 HR BG was 4.4. I'll eat some XMass cookies to get it up a bit hefore bed!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm real happy as a diabetic and never had any issues after I started taking care of my diabetes. I eat what I like and medicate accordingly. Just had a lovely roast beef sandwich with gravy and green peas. I took 34 units of Novo Rapid and my 2 HR BG was 4.4. I'll eat some XMass cookies to get it up a bit hefore bed!
I didn't feel you were trying to convert anyone but in my world 34 units of novolog is what's I take in 8.5 DAYS!! So it just struck me as a ton!! But I do stress about my diabetes and stress is the silent killer. By no means do I eat what I want so more power to you!! My stomach issues are just as real as my diabetes so I'm on a short leash one way or another. My gut loves low carb and high fat. So does my energy. That 'sandwich' would have put me fast asleep and waking up achy. Now I WILL take the roast beef any day!!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I feel if you can be diet controlled (T2) then it saves taking the meds for later if you need them ... I would rather adjust my way of eating than have to take the meds. I don't trust or rely on my Dr or DSN to help wth my T2, they have already proven that they don't give a flying fig about how to safely manage my diabetes.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
So am i guessing right with regards to Canadian motoring laws/legislation that you have a "restricted licence" as an insulin user (the maximum given.) on a doctor's report. Every "5 years"?

How long have you been on insulin..?

Interesting question..Tom, would love to hear the answer to this?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@THEBOT74 The truth is they don't know why one person gets T2 and another doesn't. They only have Suppositions and theories.
Once you have diabetes you can control it with diet, excersize and meds Insulin resistance isn't always a factor .i know skinny people who develop T2 as well as fat people who don't.
I've had T2 for 40 years and am not obese . I'm the only one of 9 siblings to develop diabetes.
I too was the only(known) T2 in my family and was put on boplus & basal insulin. if I had been content to proceed along the medication road, I could have happily carried on. However, I was able to try and ight and luckily, I found the LCHF diet/WoE allowed me to shed first the insulin, and then the other D meds.