Fed up :-(

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been hospitalised for the second time since Christmas for severe acute cholecystitis (gall stones and inflamed gallbladder).

Finally got to a ward last night, after they ordered breakfast. They will only let me eat low fat, so tried to give me cereal this morning. I refused that and went to speak to a car assistant she said, yes low fat diet, I said, yes low fat and low carb please, she said, that is low fat - don't think she knows what a carb is!

I explained that I can only eat low carb, the nurse said that was impossible as you need carbs for energy. I explained I had been doing it for 2 years with no problems and that a diabetic doctor at another hospital said it was fine.

I asked if I could have some scrambled eggs, no to that, she offered porridge. She has gone away to see what she can get me. I offered to eat some ham and salad.

Yesterday I ate the inside of a NHS ham sandwich for supper in the assessment unit, was too ill to get a proper meal.

So frustrating

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can remember being in the hospital and being in tears after not eating much of anything for 2 days because it was all high carb. The nurse went to find me some food that was not high carb and came back with a huge plate of plain brown rice. I finally just got a friend to bring me a small block of cheese to eat. Having to be low fat makes it harder. Do you have a friend or family member that can bring you something to eat? I hope they are going to deal with your gallbladder, I well remember the pain of that. Thinking of you. You can get through this.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The consultant came and said I need to do very low fat until they can take the gall bladder out (4-6 weeks) that's when I cried! He is arranging for a dietician to see me today to discuss low carb and low fat!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had some ham and a tomato!

Do you have anyone who can bring in some food parcels? bags of salad and veg (a lot of which can be eaten raw, like broccoli and courgette and carrots), hard boiled eggs, cold meats, that kind of thing?

I know it isn't ideal, but it sounds like it is a choice between that and skyrocketing bg.

I really feel for you. The low fat thing is just a nightmare in your situation.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Eyes on the prize!! The minute that gallbladder comes out you will feel better. Most are done laparoscopic (sp?) so the recovery is just a few days. If you end up with chronic diarrhea from the lack of gallbladder, and it does not happen to most people, it can be managed quite easily. Just be aware that if it happens you need to tell your doctor. You will be ok and when all is said and done this is just a blip on the radar.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I was in hospital my husband brought food in for me. I wasn't diabetic then, or low carb, I just couldn't stomach the food they supplied. Bland, dry, luke warm, disgusting. The sandwiches were packeted, and made in a town a hundred miles away. I asked for some salt which I thought may improve things and was told they aren't allowed to do this. Even the tea was grey. It must be a nightmare for you.

A

asparagusp

When I was in hospital with cellulites a few years ago, the chicken casserole was excellent so I elected to stay another night so I could have it again! lol

Yes I was given a small carton of fruit, probably with added sugar, yoghurt with a dessertspoon to eat it with! lol

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So my food yesterday was:
B: ham and tomato
L: tuna, lettuce, cucumber, tomato
S: tiny bowl of mushroom soup (NHS starter size) and lettuce

Ate about 7.30am the inside of a ham sandwich as I was starving, and have just had two bits of bacon and a plum tomato for breakfast.

Trying to do low fat until my gallbladder calms down.

I am sure I am slowly starving myself to death here! Will be interesting to step on the scales when I get home.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood sugar is slowly reducing too, 6 something yesterday morning, 5 something last night and 4 something this morning! I don't think I've never had a 4 reading!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once Gallbladder has been removed they will 'advise' you to keep to a very low fat diet, that is not always necessary - just gradually increase your fat intake and if you have problems then you've probably found your fat limit.

The wife although not diabetic has found she can actually tolerate more fat (and more spicy food) than before the op!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So frustrating

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I have Gall stones myself although in my case they're like a volcano waiting to erupt. The scan says they're there but I feel no pain (probably why I had appendicitis last year and not creating a fuss and why it burst and I had peritonitis as well before they operated).

I was extremely lucky in that during my hospital stays (private, NHS and in the U.S.) my nurses have all been brilliant. I say low carb and they are immediately embarrassed because they can't do it. Bless them though, they tried, I even had scrambled egg and chicken one lunch time (must be a joke there) but by and large managed to avoid what I consider to be very carb heavy meals, a la "eatwell plate".

Apologies, that's all about me and my experiences. I hope you find a resolution, I think anybody who says "you need the energy" needs to be made aware of the high number of people who can happily go without the amount of carbs recommended and suffer no ill effects at all, in fact, show a distinct improvement in overall health. Good luck and get well soon.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Once Gallbladder has been removed they will 'advise' you to keep to a very low fat diet, that is not always necessary - just gradually increase your fat intake and if you have problems then you've probably found your fat limit.

The wife although not diabetic has found she can actually tolerate more fat (and more spicy food) than before the op!

I had my gall bladder out years back. I can honestly say it has caused me zero problems and have been eating at least 100g of fat per day for nearly 2 years. So I agree you may have no problems with LCHF.

tony jones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
[QUOTE=hi, local hospital, told me, that it co
uld take nine months. To sort m gallbladder out, sometimes the pain is out of this world,

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had some ham and a tomato!

scary so little influence the individual has on its own meals... :mad::sour: all muslims can get halal but diabetics can´t get low carb... and they even get ill from the wrong stuff which muslims wouldn´t...

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a doctor........... but I think maybe it would be worth to hear this lecture...

A

Avocado Sevenfold

scary so little influence the individual has on its own meals... :mad::sour: all muslims can get hallal but diabetics can´t get low carb... and they even get ill from the wrong stuff which muslims wouldn´t...
I have seen this kind of comment a few times recently. What do Muslims with diabetes or coeliac disease or food allergies or gallbladder problems get fed in hospital then? Just because someone receives the halal menu does not automatically mean the food is appropriate for their medical condition. Just saying.

@trinity0097 I hope you are home now and managing to find something healthy to eat. All the best for your operation :)

Reactions: Freema

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Human insulin is similar to cattle and pork insulin and that is why insulin were mostly obtained from cattle and pork pankreas. However, some differences in those animal based insulins were found to cause production of antibodies and this resulted inflammation in the injection area. Because of these issues, synthetic insulins were developed in ‘80s.

Today many patients are treated with insulins from synthetic sources. But there are still some clinics that use animal origin insulins. So if you are a Muslim diabetes patient, you must verify that your insulin treatment should come from synthetic sources.
Use of Heparin to prevent clogging after bone, heart or brain surgeries

Heparin is mainly sourced from porks. Nowadays we can find medicines without heparins; this means we don’t have to take those medicines that contain heparins.

If you have a heart problem and need to have a surgery, you can consult your surgeon and ask him/her not to use medicines that contain heparin.

Pregnant ladies should be cautious and ask their physicians twice if their medicines contain pork based ingredients.

Vaccines continue to be a problem from the birth and there is always a speculation that some of those vaccines may contain Haram ingredients. It is better to verify and learn the truths before taking those vaccines.

Tablets coated with films and medicines in the shape of capsules are to be verified on if they contain gelatins.

Many cough syrups may contain ethyl alcohol. Remember those medicines are also easy to produce without alcohols. So you can ask your pharmacist to give the ones withou t alcohol.
Same goes for L-Systain. L-Systain is obtained from pork hair or human hair. Your pharmacist can easily give you your alternate medicine that does not contain L-Systain.

Catguts used for surgery may be obtained from animal sources. As a Muslim patient, you can ask catguts of synthetic or plant origins.

Always remember that you can’t be too careful these days. Ask your surgeon, practitioner and your pharmacist to give you medicines with Halal ingredients only. If you have a problem in understanding the terms or language used in prescriptions, please ask for help. You have a right to know."

http://www.halalcertificationturkey.com/en/2014/04/problems-in-treatment-of-muslim-patients/