Type 2 Diarrhea help

Myrrhsea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've suffered from diarrhea and excess mucous in my stools for years and I don't know if it's related to my diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, allergies or something else. Can they be symptoms of diabetes and if so how do you treat it?

Myrrhsea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for replying azure!

I've never been on medication for my diabetes but I'm prescribed Creon capsules. Years ago a consultant said that I can't digest fats very well and the capsules are to help with that. He prescribed them before I was diagnosed as diabetic though so I don't know if my inability to digest fats and diarrhea is related to my diabetes and to my pancreas.

I could ask my doctor but I doubt that I'll get a useful answer.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replying azure!

I've never been on medication for my diabetes but I'm prescribed Creon capsules. Years ago a consultant said that I can't digest fats very well and the capsules are to help with that. He prescribed them before I was diagnosed as diabetic though so I don't know if my inability to digest fats and diarrhea is related to my diabetes and to my pancreas.

I could ask my doctor but I doubt that I'll get a useful answer.
Try talking to a pharmacy as they are drug experts.

Reactions: Myrrhsea

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It may be worth asking for a coeliac test. I was recently diagnosed and chronic diarrhea with greasy stool is my main symptom.

Reactions: Myrrhsea

Myrrhsea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try talking to a pharmacy as they are drug experts.

I think I may have my answer about the creon capsules. I was reading about them and apparently my dose is a child's dose! As an adult I'm supposed to be taking up to 8 times as much per meal! So I'm upping my dose and I'll see if that helps.

Reactions: Energize

Myrrhsea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may be worth asking for a coeliac test. I was recently diagnosed and chronic diarrhea with greasy stool is my main symptom.

I've wondered about that and coeliac disease; there's definitely something going on that I need to find out about. I'll ask my doctor. Thanks!

How are you being treated by your doctor or are you treating yourself with diet, supplements etc?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was already low carb due to the diabetes but now I am gluten free as well. There is no other treatment for coeliac other than not eating gluten. Gluten free is much harder than low carb because low carb foods often have trace amounts of gluten and many gluten free foods are high carb. It means a much more restricted diet than either one on its own. I also have bile salt malapsorption due to not having a gallbladder and I take colesevrelam for that. When I went wheat free the diarrhea immediately improved. Other symptoms were bloating, gas, reflux, and sometimes nausea which also went away without gluten. My arthritis also improved.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've suffered from diarrhea and excess mucous in my stools for years and I don't know if it's related to my diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, allergies or something else. Can they be symptoms of diabetes and if so how do you treat it?
Have you been tested for ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease? Mucous can be a symptom for either.

Myrrhsea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was already low carb due to the diabetes but now I am gluten free as well. .

I'm glad some of your symptoms are improving. I've been gluten and wheat free for around a year but I still get diarrhea, although I don't get bloating that I used to.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I haven't but I'm thinking of asking my doctor. Is it a blood test?
Not sure, but I think colonoscopy is the definitive test, though blood tests for autoimmune processes may be part of the testing.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband has just had the full gamut of tests for this (not diabetic) he had blood tests and stool tests - all came back showing nothing untoward - which was good news - the GP. Thinks it may be polyps so is waiting to go for the dreaded camera up the ***. The GP put him on a high dose of codamol - a pain killer that has the side effect of giving you constipation - for the first time in 6 months he is actually going to the loo once a day instead of 15 - 20! - it is also "normal" rather than pure liquid (apologies if that last bit was tmi!)

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Myrrhsea

Before you worry about illnesses you may or may not have, here's a link to an NHS hospital's information on Creon: http://www.christie.nhs.uk/media/4371/432.pdf

You'll see that taking insufficient Creon, particularly with fatty meals and/or snacks leads to diarrhoea. Hopefully by increasing your dose, you will solve the problem. The information sheet explains that you can't actually overdose on Creon, but I recommend that you discuss the correct dose with your GP.

I take Creon because my pancreas is badly damaged: I avoid fatty meals, but I still vary the number of capsules slightly, depending upon the size of the meal. If you follow an LCHF diet, you may need to take more Creon because of the fat content.

I also took the Actimel yoghurt drink each day for a while, which improved my digestion issues. Yakult or a yoghurt with live cultures will probably work just as well.