First time tester(SD)Code Free)

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
That is a good reading. When did you take it? Before you ate?

Good afternoon @Bluetit1802 and all my other friends you are all lovely people and true friends,I took the reading 2/ 15mins hours after I eat the porridge and blueberries.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Then that is excellent! I am jealous. :)

Dom't be jealous I've just had 1 small yorkshire 2 small roast potatoes ,brussels,broccoli and chicken breast just for a trial,I shall take a test at 4.30pm

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree order strips online with the discount code but don't worry as you go through the site because the discount code does not come up until you get to checkout
CAROL

Reactions: wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning I have just had 2 poached eggs on one slice of wholemeal but cannot do any tests as I have run out of test strips,just wish I could get a few at my local chemist to tied me over until the other ones arrive on Wednesday:)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning I have just had 2 poached eggs on one slice of wholemeal but cannot do any tests as I have run out of test strips,just wish I could get a few at my local chemist to tied me over until the other ones arrive on Wednesday:)
Sadly the Code free test strips and meter are only available on line .. but you will soon get organised .. I used to order mine when I was down to the last pot then they arrived in time before I ran out...

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good afternoon all my friends it is 3 months to the day since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes,so I have been following a moderate low carb diet 60/80 carbs a day plus and have had no sugar in my tea,no cakes or pastry or sweets and biscuits,my 3 month assestment is on Thusday morning at 9.30am .my lunch to day by way of celebrating my diet thanks to all of you for your support and friendship is pictured below:)

9d30d81e-5d49-4882-854a-e4cc64ac1649_zpsjlxorcbh.jpg

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Will do @azure my friend I'm already getting nervous and I still have 48 hours to go yet;)

Jix200903

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will do @azure my friend I'm already getting nervous and I still have 48 hours to go yet;)
Hi Wiseowl,
The testing thing can be quite nerve wracking to start with but then you realise that with things taking 3 months to resolve nothing happens quickly.
So, SD Codefree - good meter for me. Generally consistent. Always wash your hands before using it as you'd be amazed what effect it can have on the reading - but that goes for any meter. There are "targets" set to evidence good blood glucose control - before a meal and two hours after starting to eat. The key is post-meal which they say should be at 8.5 or lower on the 2 hours. If you're taking 60-80g Carbs per day, you're doing a cracking job and should get a good result.
Personally, I take a stiff walk about 30 minutes after I finish eating to warm the muscles up a bit and absorb the glucose that I've just taken in. This, along with much looser carb control than you're managing but strong calorie control, has pulled my HbA1c down to 43 (yay).
Good luck, I'm sure you've done fine and will be off the meds in no time.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning @azure and @Jix200903 and thank you (I have 12 hours fasting tonight) just water,is there anything I can do to help matters to day, ,tomorrow at 8am I have my 3 month assesment(blood test),now a week Friday on the 13th January I have to attend a 2 hour course and the nurse has said that she will have a copy of the results and we shall go from there,now is there anyway I can get the results before the diabetic nurse instead of waiting and worrying for 8 days,Thank you:)

ps I am still waiting for my test strips to arrive ,and I have cut down on the amount of porridge this morning as I measured it out to 75grams =9 carbs between 3 of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wiseowl_123 the test will determine a figure for about the last 3 months (about the life of our red blood cells) so anything you do today will have little influence (if any) on the results. Do ask when the results will be available and call for them before you appt. HCP's have a habit of bombarding and bambozzling us. Get the result before hand, as forarmed is forwarned and all that.

Don't be too upset if the results are worse than you hope for. This is a long term task - how long? - the rest of your days

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't fast .. it gives a liver dump of bs .. so my waking numbers are higher than I would wish for. A nice supper (LCHF) and I am normal for breakfast in the morning .. but some here do have success in fasting .. its a case of seeing if it works for you..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't fast .. it gives a liver dump of bs .. so my waking numbers are higher than I would wish for. A nice supper (LCHF) and I am normal for breakfast in the morning .. but some here do have success in fasting .. its a case of seeing if it works for you..

Fasting is not just important, but essential if you are also having the cholesterol lipid panel, which is normal to have alongside the HbA1c. If you don't fast your triglycerides will be elevated. Also, it is now rare for surgeries to take a venous blood glucose test to check fasting levels, and any liver dumps will have zero effect on the HbA1c. I always fast for the triglycerides.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning 3 month assestment all done,just waiting for the results now.
Wieght 66 kilo=10st st 6lbs
BP =149/76
Waist =36 inchs
Hieghtt=1.71 cm+5ft 7ins

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good afternoon all my friends,my strips have arrived and I have just tested 2 hours after my breakfast of two slices of wholemeal and two poached eggs;it is 7.6:)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good afternoon all my friends,my strips have arrived and I have just tested 2 hours after my breakfast of two slices of wholemeal and two poached eggs;it is 7.6:)
Well my GP would be happy with that. Considering the SD reads slightly higher than most meters, your actual reading may well be lower than this. Well done.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @wiseowl_123

Now you can do some before and afters to see how much the rise is from start to finish - and keep that food diary!