London Marathon 2011

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll be there. :D
I always enjoyed watching the London Marathon on TV. Like many people I entered the ballot a couple of times but had not got in and I wasn't motivated enough to run a different one. I ran the odd event like the Sunday Times fun run, a few womens 10k events and even a half marathon, but any training was sporadic and I'd never been a fast runner.
In 2005, the marathon took place the weekend after they let me out of hospital with the shock of being told that I had type 1. (juvenile diabetes at 54 :roll: ) Watching all the shapes and sizes and that year, particularly the people with serious health problems, made me really determined not to let diabetes (or age for that matter) stop me. I entered the ballot for the 2006. I didn't get in, nor did I win a place for the following 4 years but knowing I'd get in eventually kept me motivated and I completed my first marathon about 14 months after diagnosis. I'm still not fast, but I get round , best of all the exercise has really helped keep my levels low.
This morning I got an email with a pre entry form for next years ballot...and they've acknowledged my 5 rejections so even if I don't get in through the ballot I'll get an entry for 2011.
I'm stupidly excited : its over a year to go and marathons are hard work,( and I'll stick to shorter distances after this one) :D

Now to decide whether to run for a diabetes charity .

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
We'll all be cheering . I certainly and probably everyone else will sponsor you for your chosen charity
Hana

caspararemi

Good luck phoenix!

I've never applied before, and only been 'seriously' running for the past few months, but I've applied for the ballot. Sadly they're not going to be doing the 5-rejections-and-you're-in thing anymore so I'm just going to have to keep applying every year to ever get a chance, but I know sometimes first timers do get picked!

nickoedwards

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck Phoenix!

I was diagnosed with type 1 when i was 4, I'm now 28 and ran the London Marathon for Diabetes UK last month.... It was amazing and it'll be a very long time before I get similar sized rush! It was tough work managing the diabetes through the race and for 2 days after I didn't feel right (not helped by a knee injury) - I finished with a blood sugar level of 9.2, which, considering the circumstances, I was amazed at.

It was my first marathon and I'll never forget it. The days after I was in pain, felt a little sick and didn't stop sweating, at the time I said i'd never do it again. A few weeks later, I'm still smiling when i hear certain song on the radio that was being blasted out on the way around. The best feeling ever.

Maybe, just maybe, I might consider it again.

Good luck!