Donating blood and A1c

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Just thought this worth mentioning . I gave blood in early April and then mid April , had my routine blood test for HbA1c, cholesterol , liver function etc . I saw the nurse two weeks later and was pleased that the A1c was a lot lower . However, I then checked with the Blood Doner Service after reading that donating blood prior to a blood test can seriously affect the result ! My Doctor wants to recall me in July to repeat the A1c as apparantly , it takes a couple of months for the red blood cells to build up again following a donation which can give a false low reading of A1c, just letting others know that its reccommended to wait at least two months before blood tests for A1c.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
RichardFromHampshire said:
I was under the impression that diabetics were on the list of blood to exclude when donating due to the (relatively) poor quality of the red blood cells?

Diabetic's are not excluded from giving blood simply because they have Diabetes.
The UK Blood Services Standing Advisory Committee on Care and Selection of Donors has concluded that blood donation is safe for people with Diabetes who manage their condition by taking tablets and have no complications or other underlying medical conditions.

To ensure that giving blood is safe, donors are required to fill in a healthcheck questionnaire and talk to a trained member of staff of NHS Blood and Transplant before giving blood.

Here is a link to the Donor Questionaire to see if you are eligible:
http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood ... lth-check/

Ken

zanc

After being refused a couple of years ago from giving blood due to my T2, they asked me to rejoin about a year ago and then they asked me to give platelets (I started platelet donation last month and I have another session today). Their control is based on the type of medication you are taking and the level of BG control you have. I'm on 500mg Metformin and a BP tablet per day with an HbA1c of 6.

ShyGirl

The rules are muddled and I doubt i'd qualify anyway with my meds list and eyes. I didn't know it caused A1c problems though

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
just letting others know that its reccommended to wait at least two months before blood tests for A1c.
Thanks for that, Kate - I give blood regularly every 6 months, so I'd better look at my timing! Hope my improvements in HbA1c aren't just due to blood-loss..... :cry:

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
You`re welcome ! To confirm , Ken is spot on , I just had to answer a few questions and fill in the list of meds , it would appear that diabetics not on insulin are welcome as long as you let the blood service know if there are any changes in your treatment or health .

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG I didn't realise the National Blood Service were so homophobic!
From their list of questions:
'Question 12
Are you a man who has had oral or anal sex with another man (even if you used a condom)? '
So because I'm female I could have unprotected anal sex with all and sundry (as long as they don't pay me, according to the list of questions!) and still donate blood, but if I was male and had had protected oral sex once with one man I couldn't? ***! No wonder they have blood shortages.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
My best friend died because the blood she was given was inadequately screened. This devastated both her family and friends.

mayesnfarmer

Yes as a diabetic - type 1 or 2 you are not allowed to donate blood. I used to be a blood donor until I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic 8 years ago. If you are diabetic and it is diet controlled only then you are allowed only once a year I was told? :?

mayesnfarmer

Sorry just read all the other posts - that's well worth knowing, my dad is type 2 and its well controlled with Metformin, he was so upset when they told him out right that it was a no, I shall give him the good news!! :D