Type 1 and Pain

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No i never test. but I'm probably in a ketotic state most of the time I just always try to correct the spikes with trying not to get hypos.

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I basically never drink water......just beer and diet coke

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No i never test. but I'm probably in a ketotic state most of the time I just always try to correct the spikes with trying not to get hypos.

Why don't you test? It's risky correcting without testing.

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test 6 to 8 times a day (blood sugar) but if I don't eat I test about 4 times a day just to see what my basal insulin is doing.

alaska

I test 6 to 8 times a day (blood sugar) but if I don't eat I test about 4 times a day just to see what my basal insulin is doing.

jonniey, the regular drinking of beer strongly suggests an alcohol problem. Very often this comes as a coping mechanism of some sort. Life is tough, especially with type 1 diabetes.

Do you have a health team you could talk with about how you're coping and to get things back on track?

It sounds like you're being left at sea at the moment. I've also been through times when my sugars were way out of whack and I thought I was coping but really I wasn't.

For me, it was finding the forum and seeing how people were coping far better than me that made me realise I wasn't coping and needed to get things sorted.

There's a lot of potential these days for getting sugar levels under control and life in control too, so have faith. It's not such an uphill struggle if you take things step by step.

Ed

Reactions: azure

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well yes I was never a drinker but I started 3 years after I got type 1 now its just been a bad habit since 2011 , and I do drink as a coping mechanism but its negatively impacting my blood sugar control....I basically have a good idea of my insulin requirements for a carb diet, but I have poor compliance.

alaska

I finally gave up on beer this year. I decided it simply wasn't worth the trouble.

In terms of 'poor compliance', what exactly do you mean by this?

Are you missing injections, missing tests, or not carb counting despite knowing how to, or something else ?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The caffeine in diet coke gives me headaches and makes me generally feel ill.

Try cutting back on the coke and beer and drink lots more water.

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Poor compliance meaning if I'm drunk I forget to take my night time lantus. And I have a habit of eating food and doing a correction instead of injecting before eating or I drink all my beer first then correct the highs later. I have an idea of carb content of some foods..never took the time to find out carb content of most foods. Also I don't record my readings.....I'm very uncooperative. A careless guy.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're not alone @jonniey Plenty of Type 1s struggle. Some are in denial, some have previously had good control but then get worn down by it all and suffer burnout.

There's help and support here.

You must know in your heart that you're harming yourself. Do you have any supoort like family or friends?

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No support! I'm emotionaly just struggling on my own with diabetes too. everyone wants a piece of me, but no one cares or can help me with my disease. also had alot of stress at work which also drove my sugar through the roof. Also most healthy people don't understand the nature of this stupid disease so they think I'm complaining for nothing. The healthy people have the biggest mouths with the most to say, so I don't even argue with them anymore.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
People here understand. Type 1 can be exhausting, day after day. The work involved is huge.

I think I said it before - take tiny, tiny steps. Try to improve things a little at a time. With each success, you'll feel stronger.

Make a plan. Understand you may have a few setbacks, but grit your teeth and don't let the diabetes win.